Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 05 lly. I’ve owned it about 6-7 months. It has a 5 position switch but I do not have the efi live tuner. The previous owner had no idea what tunes were on the truck. I know it has a lope tune. Which I’m only interested in the truck running well and being dependable. It does have exhaust and aftermarket down pipe and an egr delete. I called kory Willis shop today and was told if I bought a efi live tuner and an edge monitor that my check engine light would come on because of the egr blocker. They said any reputable shop could no longer bypass any emission system. I want to know what tunes I have and have the best performance I can get but I do not want the check engine light on all the time.
What are my options?

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes, it is illegal to delete emission equipment on these trucks. There isn't an easy way to tell who the original tuner was or what tunes it has but the lope tune tells me they're probably not very good ones. Any way of contacting the owner who had it tuned? It's going to be difficult to find anybody who's going to touch it, unless maybe someone in Canada can help. You could consider reinstalling the EGR if you can find the parts and someone who can do it without causing more issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. Yes, it is illegal to delete emission equipment on these trucks. There isn't an easy way to tell who the original tuner was or what tunes it has but the lope tune tells me they're probably not very good ones. Any way of contacting the owner who had it tuned? It's going to be difficult to find anybody who's going to touch it, unless maybe someone in Canada can help. You could consider reinstalling the EGR if you can find the parts and someone who can do it without causing more issues.
I have no idea who the original owner was but my diesel mechanic ( I work at a Chevy dealership) says putting the egr back is one of the worst things that I could do to the truck. He says the egr and the amount of stuff that gets into the system from
It is one of the biggest problems those trucks had.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
933 Posts
You will probably have a hard time finding the original tuner. If your lucky you could find a guy with the EFI software and see if the files are locked or not and get him to modify the files if unlocked. Most reputable tuners will lock the files. Yes i would not reinstall the EGR. I would get a new MotorOps tuner before reinstalling EGR.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts