Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for creating a new thread... Bought an edge evolution cts lastnight and installed. It's on level 3 of 4. The only mods to my truck are a 5" exhaust, 285's, and the edge. 207k miles. On my way home from work I had cruise control at 71mph it seems to haze smoke. And at any peddle touch on the highway or higher speeds it seems to smoke. Just a hair untill I lay into it . Is this normal?? The cts says my balance rates are fine. But I'm worried. I've heard the edge cts doesnt usually smoke. Someone please tell me I'm over reacting. Lol

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
welcome and don't be sorry for the post, its what this forum is for.

My experience with the edge tunes are they can be and often are hazy. if it clears up when in the throttle you are pretty mush experiencing normal situations like others. Also checking the balance rates are a good thing as well. if the egts are good, it runs good with a noticeable power increase and not surging or bucking, your good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pheeeew alrightey. I looked in my mirror and on flat ground at 70 I could see a black haze and I was shocked. Once throttle is applied it clears up and then when boost starts building it smokes more than I'd like. Power increase is deffintely there! First diesel and first programmer so I just got scared. My #7 Injector balance has went up to 4.8 once or twice today in park after I posted my op. I've been monitoring it all day. I read between 4 and -4 is normal. Hopefully the .8 isn't a big deal. No egt set up yet. Making a summit racing trip tomorrow morning to get a probe. Thank you for the help. It's greatly appreciated!!! Hopefully this helps another newb!

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
Love summit, when ever I am in Reno, twice to three times a year, I hit the store.

You might want to consider the ice pick mod for the inj plugs as well as do some cleaner or additive for the inj threw the fuel supply. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? It is possible there could be a boost leak or issue causing more smoke. When was the last time the MAF was cleaned? Just things tio check and service which could help or not help the concern for the smoke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got the truck in September, so I'm not sure on when everything has been changed. I am about to change the fuel filter tomorrow. I'll look into the ice pick mod and pick up some additives. I have the summit racing ohio location about 30 minutes from me. And about 100 yards from my girlfriends house haha. Gets me in more trouble than good! Lol I guess to other guys it's not "that much" smoke. It's just different as this is my first diesel and my first programmer/tuner, trying to stay away from smoke. Suprises the cummins guys lol. I appreciate the help!! Thank you!

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
^ gl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts