Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i bought a used 05 lly 70k with banks 4in exhaust from a dealer the guy before me towed some sort of 5th wheel with it but took great care of the truck my question is i have the ( hookup ) with a mechanic at work that will replace my hg's under warranty which goes out in july ... by the way there is nothing wrong with my head gaskets now im just scared with with all posts i see about gaskets blowing that mine will need them after warranty and i dont know if its worth getting my truck ripped apart when there isnt anything wrong with it my plans are to just mild tune ( 90 hp or less ) already have upgraded the mouth peice also what do you guys think i should do

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
what r the plans for the truck besides the 90 tune
if u r only planning one that 90tune it aint worth it
but if u want more do head studs
thats just me tho

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well my buddywho does efi live tuning is going to make me 4 tunes using the dsp5 switch im also not hard on my truck and only tow a 18 foot car trailer once in a blue moon i just dont want my head gaskets to go out but i figure that if its been used to tow a fifth wheel and has 70k on the clock with no gasket replacement i should be ok by this point.?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
i wouldnt worry about it. just keep an eye on the egts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
replace the head gaskets when they are fine? wtf?? You have a better chance of screwing something up if you mess with it...if it aint broke dont fix it.

ben

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ill second that. if you want studs and that gaskets arent blown you can put the studs in with much less effort being you dont have to take the heads off

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
A "mechanic" is gonna replace your head gaskets under warranty, even though there's no indication they are bad? If he lies to GM, he'll lie to you too. I wouldn't trust this sleazy deal as far as I could throw him. If you're not seeing any signs of hg problems (loosing coolant, hard return hose overnight, evidence of seepage around head-to-block area), I would leave it alone. Do the turbo mouthpiece upgrade and don't slap a 150 hp tune on it and it will treat you nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts