Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been beaten to death for the last 15+ years but I am posting this just in case someone has figured out the ACTUAL reason why these engines do this. I've replaced several starters, 2 ring gears and employed ALL of the tricks and tips I've found on various forums over the years. I've checked/replaced both batteries, checked and remade wire connections, all to no avail. I'm at my wits end here and just want to get rid of this truck, but not until I can feel assured that it will start when I trade it in for a Dodge, or a Ford, or a Nissan, or.....

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I think if you search for posts about this you will find some answers. I believe there are some spacers that fix the alignment. Not having an LLY, nor any starter problems, I didn't pay great attention to the detail.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I put a new flywheel and starter in mine. Made sure the alignment was good and that was it. That was years ago and countless starts and cold starts since.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My 2005 LLY did the starter grind about 90 percent of the time.
I now turn on the ignition and wait until the computer has done its thing. I wait for the heater/ac fans to come on and stabilize. Then I start the engine. It has not done the grinding since. I have not replaced the starter or any other starter related items. While I am waiting for the computer (less than one minute) I put on the seat belt and check my mirrors for any adjustment that may be needed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My 2005 LLY did the starter grind about 90 percent of the time.
I now turn on the ignition and wait until the computer has done its thing. I wait for the heater/ac fans to come on and stabilize. Then I start the engine. It has not done the grinding since. I have not replaced the starter or any other starter related items. While I am waiting for the computer (less than one minute) I put on the seat belt and check my mirrors for any adjustment that may be needed.
This.

The two times mine has done this (within 2 weeks), I had jumped in and tried to start it while the glow plug light was still on.
I feel if you don't wait, there is not enough juice to force the starter plunger deep enough (giggity) to catch the flywheel.

I've made sure to wait the extra 3 secs before turning the key, and it hasn't happened in 2 years.

Sent from my google machine

Reactions: BlownL36
1 - 5 of 5 Posts