Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying an 05 LLY, and I want to install a wastegate. I know I'm not supposed to worry about it, but the truck is pushing 60 pounds of boost, stock. I'm stretched enough as it is just making the payment, and don't want a huge parts bill. So, to be safe, I am going to install a wastegate. My problem is, I've never had to put one in. Anyone who has experience or knows what I need to do, anything you can say would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I'm buying an 05 LLY, and I want to install a wastegate. I know I'm not supposed to worry about it, but the truck is pushing 60 pounds of boost, stock. I'm stretched enough as it is just making the payment, and don't want a huge parts bill. So, to be safe, I am going to install a wastegate. My problem is, I've never had to put one in. Anyone who has experience or knows what I need to do, anything you can say would be much appreciated.
no stock lly turbo will put of 60 psi without blowing up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, three different monitors (separately installed, never run all together, Quadzilla, then Banks, and finally Edge) have been within .3 pounds of the same, none have read less than 59.6psi at full boost.

And we are looking at installing a wastegate (or blow off valve, take your pick of the name) in the intake directly in front of the turbo (relatively speaking.) I'm just looking around for other ideas, my friend and I are gonna start the project in about a week.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Well, three different monitors (separately installed, never run all together, Quadzilla, then Banks, and finally Edge) have been within .3 pounds of the same, none have read less than 59.6psi at full boost.

And we are looking at installing a wastegate (or blow off valve, take your pick of the name) in the intake directly in front of the turbo (relatively speaking.) I'm just looking around for other ideas, my friend and I are gonna start the project in about a week.
Those are all reading off the maf sensor so my guess is you need a new maf sensor or it needs to be rescaled

·
Registered
915 Posts
a blow off valve and a wastegate are 2 totally differnt things. One regulates turbine speed the other is a pressure release system that prevents compressor surging. Like timespentsearching says this isnt really going to solve your problem!

·
Stock again...
2,191 Posts
Yeah those readings are not correct... theres no way thats pushing 60 psi lol. The heads probably wouldnt even stay on. Highest spike I've seen on a stock turbo is 35psi

·
born country
2,427 Posts
i'll buy that turbo off you for 1500 bucks cash if it's pushing 60 psi, i'll even pick it up.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Throw a manual boost gauge on there and take a look at your readings. There's no chance you're hitting that high

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
stock turbo will nnever see 60 lucky if you se 35 to 40

·
Banned
17,252 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
my buddy had to put twins on his cummins in a ford along with like $50k. thats the only truck i have seen hit 60 lbs of boost lol stock duramax? 60? hahaha :rofl

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
good luck putting a wastegate on it to begin with....

·
got the go fast itch
874 Posts
hahahahahahah:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rof:rof:rof:rof:rof

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Put together a write up on that install for us!!!! Very intrested!! hahaha maybe your stoned reading 6 as 60 at cruising speed??? Wow

1 - 20 of 24 Posts