Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if there is a difference in the engine noise from the 05 to 06 Duramax?

I know Diesel makes a good amount of noise, but just curious which year would have the least. Also, if there any transmission problem that have occur by changing the new Allison Transmission into a 6 speed? Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Either of the 2 are going to be pretty quiet. I know walking by either of the 2 it is hard to hear them compaired to my LB7. As far as having problems changing the 5 speed to a six....I haven't heard of any problems and it is pretty easy. I wouldn't however install it on a truck that has a programmer and stock tranny. It isn't recommended used with power adders unless you have one of the tranny beef-up kits like the one from suncoast.

·
Registered
527 Posts
the 06 is a TON quieter. you can't even hear an 06 whenit's parked next to an 05.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
So the previous 5 speed Allison can handle more power than the new 6 spd?
No, I am talking about an upgrade to the 5 speed to make it a 6 speed. I thought that is what you were asking about. check out suncoast's site. I am pretty sure that they give out about the same when it comes to power adders. Actually the six speed probably takes less to limp since you start out with more power to begin with.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Injector design and some internals. Most the sound you hear from the diesel engine is from the injectors. I believe that the compression ratio was lowered to 16.8:1 vs 17.5:1 on the earlier engines. I believe those are the numbers I remember reading. The new engines are almost as quiet as a gas engine at idle.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The 6 speeds are pretty tough. One of my customers has been pounding on his LBZ for about 14K miles and has the Diablosport downloaded on it. No slip, no limp, just good mileage and lots of power. He's got a few little trans upgrades waiting to go into his VB here soon when we change the trans over to Amsoil. He wants to do a lift before the transmission.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
THe 06lbz/lly is quiter from the 3 pilot injection shots instead of the earlier engines 1 pilot shot!! The small differences in internal engine parts adds to the quietness also, but mostly it comes from the differences in fuel inj. pulses!!!

The 6speed allys seem to be holding more power in stock form, i know guys running predator 120hp tunes with no limping!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, just to test drive a 05 and a 06. They both are very quiet trucks, I believe the 06 maybe a hair quieter, but not by much. I maybe getting a 05, since I get to save a few thousand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts