Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to look at a 2005 GMC Sierra duramax with 135k it has a 4" lift, 5" exhaust and a bully dog tune, are there any specific things I should look for? The truck is absolutely beautiful and owned by a 55 year old guy so I have to assume he is not the type to beat on it.

Thanks,

Fran

·
Registered
249 Posts
The tune would tell me he probably used it for towing a heavy trailer. I'd say pay close attention to the trans. The convertor is a known weak link, you should gell it lock at about 50 MPH (about 30MPH in tow/haul) It should feel SOLID. If it's spongy or slides into lockup,, expect some trans work in the future. Take a look under for leaks, or shiney new parts. If you can get it good and warm and go pull a long grade to see if it overheats or has other issues.

You know what to look for in rust being in the NE, just be diligent and ask questions. Most people of this generation are honest and will tell you what to expect.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Look closely at the rear block decks where the heads meet the deck. Look for seepage that might indicate head gaskets that are starting to leak. Drive it long enough to get it fully warmed up. Look to see if the turbo mouthpiece has been upgraded to LBZ or aftermarket. Take a good code reader that will show actual DTCs. Ask the owner if the trans has ever been worked on, most folks will be pretty honest about possible issues if they think you know something about cars. Likewise ask about the water pump, 139K is about time to replace. My LLY has been very reliable pulling a 12K 5th wheel for about 1/3 of its life so far. Head gaskets are probably something to look forward to doing. You can expect som minor issues on a 14 year old truck.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Being on the road all day, I been observing the old men are the most reckless ones on the road.

I find judging if a used pickup has been taken care of is easy. Trucks with dents and scratches in the bed. No mudflaps usually means the rocks are full of chips.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Being on the road all day, I been observing the old men are the most reckless ones on the road.

LOL, If you consider a 55 an 'OLD MAN' I would love to hear back from you the day you turn 60 <grins>

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Nothin wrong with bein an old man, I'm a couple of clicks away from 76 and I still smile when some punk wants to crowd me to the end of the merge lane...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.