Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get my first duramax and was wonder how much of a difference the 06 has compared to the 05. I know the 06 has the six speed in it and a few other things but which is the best buy. how much different mpg in the six speed compared to the five speed. thanks for any input

·
I Drive a gasser
728 Posts
in my FD's kodiak (an 06) we were told we had an LBZ????

·
Registered
201 Posts
The kodiak maybe different, but i thought the early 06 was a lly, witch the 06 lly and the 05 lly are different. i think the 06 lly is a detuned version of the lbz. I could be wrong about all of it maybe someone else will chime in and correct me

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
the 06 is the lbz motor with lly tuning plus has the 6 speed

·
I Drive a gasser
728 Posts
Its only a matter of time we both learn which is the correct motor lol. But Chevyman, go with the newer truck. if anything- you'l have a higher re-sale value in the future.

·
What are you lookin at?
131 Posts
Late 06's have LBZ's, early have the LLY. The 8th digit of the VIN is a "D" on the LBZ's.

·
Registered
506 Posts
06 is lbz with lly tuning...u can even reflash to lbz tuning i believe!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I went with the late 06 LBZ.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The late 06 were LBZ's. I have one.
correct...my bad!!!! i meant some of the early 06 were lbz with lly tuning and the late 06 had the lbz tuning:booboo. I still think you could reflash the early 06 that had the lly tuning with lbz tuning?????

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Late 06's have LBZ's, early have the LLY. The 8th digit of the VIN is a "D" on the LBZ's.
this is what i was told also...

·
Registered
448 Posts
I know LBZ is mid/late 06, I got mine end of Feb 06 and Feb is early in the year. Maybe it was because I special ordered it. First thing I noticed was the newer Duramax badge on the doors and the salesman told me it was a newer version with the 6speed. Must have just lucked up and got an LBZ.

·
Registered
291 Posts
06 lly and lbz are identical mechanically and electronically. Just different programming.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Get the 06 LBZ...You won't regret it! Stock 50 more HP and 48 ft/lbs more torque iirc. I wish I had done my homework before I got my 05. I would have definately waited to find an LBZ. 6-speed tranny that can be updated with transgojr easier and cheaper than the 5-speed. Turbo mouthpiece problem already fixed. Too many other things to list. Find an 06 LBZ !

·
Noob
161 Posts
Get the 06 LBZ...You won't regret it! Stock 50 more HP and 48 ft/lbs more torque iirc. I wish I had done my homework before I got my 05. I would have definately waited to find an LBZ. 6-speed tranny that can be updated with transgojr easier and cheaper than the 5-speed. Turbo mouthpiece problem already fixed. Too many other things to list. Find an 06 LBZ !
I completely x2 this

1 - 20 of 27 Posts