Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is actually a good upgrade for brakes. Can this truck get a larger Rotor ?

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
If you find it insufficient, it's probably the overall condition of the brake system as a whole.
(fresh brake fluid, lubed slide pins, non-expanding old/worn brake lines, etc.)

When everything is working right, she'll stop a load just fine.
Although, I do have some 'upgrades', sorta. marx

Registered
Sub'd as I'll be rebuilding the front end and while I'm in there, might as well upgrade my squealing and dusty brakes. You'll read mixed reviews about drilled and slotted rotors as far as longevity and what not. Most will recommend fresh OEM brakes as they seem to last 150k miles at a time.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Probably not a good path to venture into, possible restrictions and all.

You can get a extended life (like when using Syn) filter with the synthetic media Mobile 1 (M1-303)....usually 'bout $10 at Wally's place.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for reply just was looking for some added Filtration , coming up on 300k and have changed oil ever 3k since it was new.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
I run Schaeffer's 9000 full syn, with the M1-303 syn filter.
On average, 10k mile intervals....all miles towing heavy.

The Dmax doesn't kick out much psi, BUT the volume of oil it moves is high. An oil filter restriction could be fatal.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
DEF FUSTRATIONS 2013
Service exhaust system message is on again reducing speed to 65 MPH. Could this have to do with cold temperatures in the last couple days. Can鈥檛 handle going back to CHEVY again.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
2013 2500hd. Def issues

Service exhaust system message came on after temps went to single digits. Any chance this will reset??

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
2017 Brakes

Coming up on needing Brakes any suggestions what鈥檚 best.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
2017 2500HD High Country Need Brakes

Coming up on needing Brakes, any suggestions of what鈥檚 good.

Premium Member
I have a 2008 2500 service body that weighs 10,800 with every day carry. After rear ending someone I started looking into better brakes. I got SSBC 3 piston front calipers which come with Hawk Super Duty pads and work with factory rotors. They're about $1000 for the pair and I can tell you that you get every bit of $1000 worth of increased braking. I also added Hawk Super Duty pads on the rear which gave me a little more, and then I did braided brake lines which got me a noticeably firmer pedal. Crown Performance braided lines are DOT approved.

If you have the money, I'd get a Wilwood big brake kit. If your budget is limited, SSBC calipers are worth every penny.

Registered
Just my experience!

Stay away from Centric brand remanufactured brake calipers! They have failed in less than two years (seized top piston both front calipers) ! I should have seen the writing on the wall when I bolted the second caliper up and it would not slide side to side freely do to piss poor manufacturing & Quality control of a brake caliper slide bolt. :frown2:

Currently installing Total Eclipse remanufactured semi loaded calipers from Napa front and rear. We will see how these do?

If I would have known about SSBC brakes they would be on the truck!

Andy :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts