Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 3 trips to advance, an amazon order and a few hours of internet research, I have no idea what U joints are for my truck. Can someone please help?!?!?

2006 ECSB 4x4 one piece steel driveshaft. Looking for the u joint at the rear axle as well as the one at the slip yoke end.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
After 3 trips to advance, an amazon order and a few hours of internet research, I have no idea what U joints are for my truck. Can someone please help?!?!?

2006 ECSB 4x4 one piece steel driveshaft. Looking for the u joint at the rear axle as well as the one at the slip yoke end.

Have you checked DMAXSTORE.COM? They have all kinds of goodies for our trucks.

As for me, I've got a trustworthy guy that works at the local O'Reillys and he just looked up the numbers in the Spicer book and that's what I went with.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spicer 1410 non-greasable is what I go with.
May I ask your reasoning for non greasable? I'm used to hitting my front end every 3000 miles or so and always greasing my vehicle in the marine corps so I figured it would be worth the small extra hassle.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spicer 1410 non-greasable is what I go with.
Additionally, I believe the 1410 may be the wrong size for mine. It shows 1.2" diameter and my u joint caps are ~1 3/8"

·
Registered
596 Posts
May I ask your reasoning for non greasable? I'm used to hitting my front end every 3000 miles or so and always greasing my vehicle in the marine corps so I figured it would be worth the small extra hassle.

I grease the front end every oil change, but it still seems like the non-greasables last longer. From what I have read on the forums and Facebook groups it seem like most people have the same experience.

Additionally, I believe the 1410 may be the wrong size for mine. It shows 1.2" diameter and my u joint caps are ~1 3/8"

I would have thought your truck would have the same yoke and driveshaft as mine, but I could be wrong. 'dunno;

·
Registered
126 Posts
Unless you have a different driveshaft than OE it should fit. '01-'07 Spicer 1410 greaseable or not.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless you have a different driveshaft than OE it should fit. '01-'07 Spicer 1410 greaseable or not.

I don't have any reason to think it's aftermarket. I bought it from a guy I knew in September 2017. It's the steel shaft (covered in rust). The u joint caps are about 1 3/8" in diameter where as the 1410 is about 1 1/8" in diameter. Idk if the PO had special requests from the factory (wouldn't surprise me knowing how he is) or if that's just what they used for that particular combo (ECSB 4X4 WT)

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't have any reason to think it's aftermarket. I bought it from a guy I knew in September 2017. It's the steel shaft (covered in rust). The u joint caps are about 1 3/8" in diameter where as the 1410 is about 1 1/8" in diameter. Idk if the PO had special requests from the factory (wouldn't surprise me knowing how he is) or if that's just what they used for that particular combo (ECSB 4X4 WT)

I could be wrong, but I thought all the OEM driveshafts were aluminum, I know mine is.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I concur with the non greaseable Spicer. Just put one on last weekend.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
I could be wrong, but I thought all the OEM driveshafts were aluminum, I know mine is.
no some of the older trucks were steel, my 01 has a 2 piece steel shaft with a carrier bearing.

That said, im 99% sure all duramax drive shafts use the same size ujoint, steel or aluminum. Maybe the OP had a aftermarket drive shaft made? seems weird they wouldent re-use the yolks though....

If you absolutely cant find the right U joint, pull the drive shaft out, pop out a ujoint then bum a ride to the parts store with the old part in hand.

I also run non greasable ujoints. The greasable ones really dont seem to last any longer and there kind of a pain in the butt to grease.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no some of the older trucks were steel, my 01 has a 2 piece steel shaft with a carrier bearing.

That said, im 99% sure all duramax drive shafts use the same size ujoint, steel or aluminum. Maybe the OP had a aftermarket drive shaft made? seems weird they wouldent re-use the yolks though....

If you absolutely cant find the right U joint, pull the drive shaft out, pop out a ujoint then bum a ride to the parts store with the old part in hand.

I also run non greasable ujoints. The greasable ones really dont seem to last any longer and there kind of a pain in the butt to grease.
It seems the 2 piece were used for the long beds w/ CC or EC. I have seen some other posts on other forums where people said they had the steel shafts with the larger yokes as well... they seem to be the 1480 series vs the 1410 you all speak of. That matches with what I have in the 1 3/8" dia u joint caps. Unfortunately, I've been sitting with my driveshaft in my basement since Saturday so I've had way too much time to look at it and the u joints lol

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
It seems the 2 piece were used for the long beds w/ CC or EC. I have seen some other posts on other forums where people said they had the steel shafts with the larger yokes as well... they seem to be the 1480 series vs the 1410 you all speak of. That matches with what I have in the 1 3/8" dia u joint caps. Unfortunately, I've been sitting with my driveshaft in my basement since Saturday so I've had way too much time to look at it and the u joints lol

this should be your ujoint then if that is the series number of the shaft you have.

https://www.amazon.com/Spicer-SPL55...ywords=SPL55X&qid=1569863942&s=gateway&sr=8-1

also available from merchant with model number SPL55X

https://www.merchant-automotive.com/SPL55X-Spicer-1480-Series-U-Joint-Non-Greasable.aspx

you are correct, only the long bed CC EC trucks had the dreaded carrier bearing. Best decision i ever made was buying a custom made single piece drive shaft for that truck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this should be your ujoint then if that is the series number of the shaft you have.

https://www.amazon.com/Spicer-SPL55...ywords=SPL55X&qid=1569863942&s=gateway&sr=8-1

also available from merchant with model number SPL55X

https://www.merchant-automotive.com/SPL55X-Spicer-1480-Series-U-Joint-Non-Greasable.aspx

you are correct, only the long bed CC EC trucks had the dreaded carrier bearing. Best decision i ever made was buying a custom made single piece drive shaft for that truck.
That is it! I was planning on going with spicer through Amazon. Funny how Amazon tells me it won't fit my truck... (me listening to Amazon is kind of what started this fiasco)

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
That is it! I was planning on going with spicer through Amazon. Funny how Amazon tells me it won't fit my truck... (me listening to Amazon is kind of what started this fiasco)

ive noticed that amazon does not do a great job with hardware fitment on diesels. Gas vehicles seem to be much more dialed in than our trucks are. For example, if you look at kryptonite stuff (which is recently on amazon) none of it shows up under "fits my truck".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts