Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towing boat home from lake last night and felt like the tranny came out of gear and then the Service 4wd came on across info panel. Checked to see if truck was in 4wd and was not. Continued to the house 50 min later Service 4wd light went off and the Security light came on. Could not get the Security light to go off, also killed power to the steering wheel and the power rear crew cab windows and door locks. Turned truck off and let it sit for 15 min and cranked it back up with no service lights on. Towed 40 miles to work with no problem. Drove to metal shop 2 miles down road. Tried to crank truck up and it does but will shut off after 1.5 to 2 seconds. No check engine light on. It has been 4200 miles since last fuel filter change and get all my fuel from same station ( 271,000 miles worth of diesel ). Have had no trouble out of truck to date. I got truck with 110 miles on it. PPE tow tune, 4" turbo back by by kitty, air intake mod.

Sorry for the story but thought that everything that has happened in the last 24 hr might be pertinant. Thanks for the help in advance!!

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Sounds like it limped, but with the service 4wd light coming on is strange.

I would verify that the dif/xfer case fluid is all good.

Might want to swap fuel filter, may have picked up some crappy stuff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just went by the garage that has my truck and it was running fine when I got there. Mech said he pulled the key out that I have been using and put in my spare and the truck cranked right up and idled with no probs. He changed my relay for the fuel pump just incase. New fuel filter also installed. When he took my fuel filter off he said the filter was dry. His thinking is that my key was wore out and caused the theft deterant system to activate. Shutting the fuel system off. I cranked the truck 4 times to have it shut off each time, and this could have drained the filter of any diesel left in the filter after fuel system was shut off.

Still doesn't explain the service 4wd system light. But that light has gone back off and truck is showing 2wd light again like normal...

Would love to hear what anyone has to think about this.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
TCM issue......maybe? mine did all that except i couldn't start it,but i was able to turn the key to run position and jump the solenoid to where i could load it on a trailer.......I would think a limp could give similar headaches!

I would verify that the dif/xfer case fluid is all good.
agreed,either the Tcase or the front hubs will trigger the ABS light and the service 4wd message.....:) if it's more of the ABS light coming on,I would check the hubs first....I have 286,000 miles on my 06,I am on my THIRD T case and each set of hubs I have replaced TWICE!!:gearjamin

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Sounds like you have several problems--

There is no fuel pump -- the fuse box under the hood is used for several models- that is why it shows the fuel pump relay.

The 06 does not have a coded key. [that I know of]

You may have a filter housing problem, they are prone to getting leaky seals and will draw air-- that will cause the starting and dieing you had. The CP3 pulls air from the fuel tank and so any small leak will cause problems. The housing, or rebuild parts, are available from several supporting vendors.

You might check the body ground wire, under the driver's door-- clean and make sure it has a good connection.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Another thing to check if the spare key worked is the ignition switch, these wear out and can do some interesting things. do not know why the fuel filter would be dry, if it is cranking, the mechanical fuel pump should be trying to pull fuel. the security system if you have should just make the FICM not operate the injectors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't tell you guys how much I appriciate the info! Should I take apart the fuel filter assembly or what would be the best way to track down an air leak? I really didn't think that a filter and my spare key fixed this problem, although the truck seems to be running good now. I have 271,000 on my truck, the only parts I have replaced are: driver and pass hubs, rear driveshaft ujoint, transmission lines to cooler. Other than the normal service. Is there anything that is beyond its normal life expectancy that on my truck could be causing trouble like this?

Still not sure why the fuel filter would be empty if there is no fuel pump in the tank. I had 3/4 tank of fuel when the problem reared its ugly head. Does anyone think the fuel pump could be going bad?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Can't tell you guys how much I appriciate the info! Should I take apart the fuel filter assembly or what would be the best way to track down an air leak? I really didn't think that a filter and my spare key fixed this problem, although the truck seems to be running good now. I have 271,000 on my truck, the only parts I have replaced are: driver and pass hubs, rear driveshaft ujoint, transmission lines to cooler. Other than the normal service. Is there anything that is beyond its normal life expectancy that on my truck could be causing trouble like this?

Still not sure why the fuel filter would be empty if there is no fuel pump in the tank. I had 3/4 tank of fuel when the problem reared its ugly head. Does anyone think the fuel pump could be going bad?
As mentioned before, you do not have a fuel pump in the tank. it is located in the engine compartment on top of the motor. the pump pulls the fuel thru the filter from the tank. If you have an air leak at your filter it will pull the fuel out of the filter, replacing it with air that is being drawn in. As others have said as well, it sounds like the filter is installed incorrectly, the wif sencor is leaking or the filter head needs to be rebuilt. Good Luck!

·
Registered
178 Posts
As far as the 4x4 service light goes....... I have had these push button chevys for several years now and every one that I have had has done that at 1 point or another. but nothing has ever gone wrong with the 4x4, just seems like sometimes when they run there self diagnostics it hickups and says there is a problem but never is. again good luck!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Any codes? I would check the wire bundle that goes though the firewall into the cab for any damage-and like it has been said before check that ground

·
Registered
64 Posts
i agree with the 4x4 light coming on. my gaser 5.3 did that once randomly then never did it again. i still checked everything over to be sure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts