Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got a Black Ext Cab 06 2500HD LBZ. We are extremely pleased with the power. The LBZ replaced a 05 Chevy with a 5.3 gasser. Its a awesome change. But it has a clicking, cracking, rattling type of sound coming from the engine compartment. Sounds to be on the drivers side. It does when its warm or cold. It also does it when at a idle or when moving. We need some help identifiying this sound. I does not do it all the time so I dont think its the engine. The engine sound great. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :help

·
Registered
13 Posts
Diesel,

My 07' LBZ is doing the same thing. The day I took it into the dealership, it was not doing it as loud as it usually does. I am just waiting for a good time to get it back in. It almost sounds like a exhaust shield expanding or something heating up.... but I don't know because it does it cold and hot..:confused:

jason

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly. Your explanation was a little better. The trucks still under warranty so we may take it in and see what the deal is. Its hard to pin point exactly where its coming from.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hear it most from the left front wheel well. At first I thought it was like an electrical snapping or clicking. Or even the compressor coming on and off. But like you said, if the truck is under warranty..... That is what the dealership gets paid for.

jason

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here is a copy of the GM bulletin:

"A random ticking noise may be heard in some LB7/LBZ's with the engine running at idle speed and with the coolant warmed to a temperature of 70 degrees Celsius or above. An Irregular metallic ticking/clacking sound like random typing on a mechanical type writer, can be heard at the lower rear of the left front wheel house. Some customers may also hear the noise inside the cab as well. This irregular ticking/clacking sound can be heard between idle and 1500 rpm. Above 1500 rpm the sound goes away, but returns once the engine is operated within the idle and 1500 rpm speed range.
The sound is caused by the relationship created from the engine block, main bearing crank pin, bearing inser, and oil film which generates a vibration that resonates though the block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. This noise is most audible on vehicles that have engine main bearing tolerances that are closer to the minimum main bearing clearance specification. All Duramax engines have this condition, however some are more audible than others. Tolerances between nonaudible ticking engines and audible ticking engines are differences in clearances measured in microns.
Isuzu advises that they have experienced this condition in other diesel engines they manufactured over the last 20 years. Other manufactures of diesel engines such as Hino, Mitsubishi and Nissan also report similar noises in their engines. The LB7/LBZ bearing manufacturer has investigated this noise in the LB7/LBZ and state that no reliability or durability concerns are due to this condition.
General Motors Noise Vibration and Harshness group and Isuzu of Japan Engineering have done extensive testing and agree that no reliability or durability of this engine is effected by this issue. GM engineering has run a ticking engine on a 1200 hour dynamometer durability test and has also agreed that the noise condition does not effect reliability or durability of the LB7/LBZ engine.
The noise is a normal operating characteristic of this engine, It has no short term or long term detrimental effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs for this sound."

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that aint what I wanted to hear but at least its somwhat "normal". If thats the sound we are hearing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes, that sucks... It's strange that if it is such a common problem, that no one else on this site has had to deal w/it. ??

·
Registered
47 Posts
yes, that sucks... It's strange that if it is such a common problem, that no one else on this site has had to deal w/it. ??
The "typewriter" clicking is legend and many of us have experienced it...Mine went away, so I'm a happy camper....

·
Registered
13 Posts
So there is hope.... thanks minisub

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got that bulletin off of Dieselplace.com another dmax forum page and it seem like a lot of people have the ticking including me. I posted a thread about my tick a few weeks ago on this forum and no one knew what it was, but it seems pretty common on that other forum page.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It being "normal" somwhat eases my mind but its still kinda annoying to listen to. It makes you feel like people think that your truck is tore up. But most people probly dont even notice. Oh well, guess we will just wait and see if it goes away. Anyway, Thanks guys for the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Clicking

My "03 does it more at the 1500 to 2000 rpm range and it's very audible from inside the cab. I read a post a while back about this "normal" sound. It sounds more like an electrical "zap" more than anything mechanical to me, but that's just my opinion of it. My warantee has just expired and I've already replaced the injectors. I bought this truck because of it's known reliability...or so called. I hope it does last...32,000 dollars says it better...lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the tick until about 8500-10K miles, then, it just went away. Doesn't bother me anymore.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
I've been lucky so far...I have put 5,857 miles on mine in less than a month...and have never heard it yet. Although...on the front left right below the windshield...there is a rubber piece that flaps and I can hear that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have experienced the same noise from my 06 3500 on two occasions. It happened after a run on the interstate, when I shut it off to run in the store and re-started it, it did it then. But it went away.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Funny mine started around 5k miles and now that I have passed 10k miles it is getting louder. Hoping it isn't something other than the normal thing they say it is. It doesn't seem to go away after time any longer is what concerns me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts