Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Nice writeup, thanks. Can anyone tell me what the small cooler that is mounted at the front of the gas tank and is hard wired to what I think is the tranny? They are hard lines.
Its actually a fuel cooler whether it helps or hurts things someone else will have to tell ya

Reactions: rndgreene

·
Why did i wait so long??
367 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just did this mod and it works great and was super easy. Rather than using a pre drilled hole, I used self tapping screws to place the cooler higher. I enlarged the hole on the end to relocate the temp sensor. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Don't mind the loose wires. Since the pics, they've been zip tied and put in a loom.

Here are some pics from my install. I raised the cooler 5 inches.

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Jake, nice install. Thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
340 Posts
did you notice anything? im in the middle of installing my intercooler and thought it would be a good time to do this. thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just saw this, great idea. About to order Mike's cooler, but think I'll try this first.

·
Why did i wait so long??
367 Posts
It's super easy. Took maybe an hour. 6 bolts, 2 L brackets, 2 self tapping screws. I bought everything at my local ace hardware. Home Depot or Lowes would have everything.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's super easy. Took maybe an hour. 6 bolts, 2 L brackets, 2 self tapping screws. I bought everything at my local ace hardware. Home Depot or Lowes would have everything.
how long were the L brackets and what depth were the bolts ?

·
Registered
340 Posts
how long were the L brackets and what depth were the bolts ?
i dont know if his length would be the same as you because of stock lines. i just did this over the weekend and my L brackets were 4 inch long. and i used half inch self tapers with lock washers.

·
Why did i wait so long??
367 Posts
After relocating the cooler, my temps dropped back to where they were before I put the bumper on. My reg temps were right around 140 summer or winter. Now it's completely above the bumper, with great air flow.

The L brackets were 6". I cut the bottom side down to 2 1/2". The bolts were 5/16"...1" long.

·
Why did i wait so long??
367 Posts
Good deal. Glad I could help. Its a super simple mod to try before buying an aftermarket cooler, just to install it in the same "stock, behind the bumper" location.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are there any issues with air getting trapped in it since it's upside down now? or issues of it not working properly? Most of the cooler manufaturers recommend installing a cooler sideways or with the outlets at the top... just curious...

thanks

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Are there any issues with air getting trapped in it since it's upside down now? or issues of it not working properly? Most of the cooler manufaturers recommend installing a cooler sideways or with the outlets at the top... just curious...

thanks
The factory trans cooler on my 02 Duramax has both lines going in/out the bottom. I havent had any issues with it getting air trapped or anything. You should be fine.

·
Why did i wait so long??
367 Posts

thanks
I haven't had any problems and mine has been switched for over 5k miles. There is a lot of pressure running through the lines so it shouldn't trap any air.

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Sub'd

21 - 40 of 78 Posts