Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
sub'd:thumb

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Somebody makes an upgraded trans cooler for the LBZ now. I just saw it for sale the other day, but I can't remember who makes it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Ah yes, here we go.

Performance Transmission Cooler for LB7/LLY and LBZ/LMM [12406--] - $449.99 : Pacific Performance Engineering, Innovations in Diesel Performance

Excess heat is the #1 killer or transmissions, and for those who tow, race or simply run their diesel hard, properly cooling the transmission fluid is one of the most important things that you can do to increase the life of your transmission. PPE’s Performance Transmission Cooler is a bolt-on replacement that lowers the fluid temperatures an additional 20 - 30 degrees over the stock unit. When the mainline pressure is increased with a high performance transmission kit, additional heat is generated and we recommend a Performance Transmission Cooler in these applications.

Features:
- Increased surface area provides 60% more heat rejection
- Lowers temps 20-30 degrees over stock units
- Installation takes approx. 30 minutes.

Available for:
2001-03, 2003-05 and 2006-10 Duramax diesel engines.

1240600 2001-03 Cooler - connectors with Orange Clips
1240603 2003-05 Cooler - connectors with Purple Clips
1240620 2006-2010 Cooler - connectors same all years

·
Registered
28 Posts
cooler

Did you put any "rubber groments" or anything under the bottom L braket, I have read that some do for vibration. Also did you have to drill any holes for any of the bolts. Just curious, not real mechanical but I would like to reduce temps. Thanks Ron

·
Why did i wait so long??
367 Posts
I didn't use any rubber grommets. The only holes I remember drilling were with the self tapping screws when I raised the upper support arm and I opened the hole on the right side to relocate the temp sensor. Let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
cooler

Ok, I didn't see any so I dove in last night, had your pics on the air cleaner box and I started at 6:30 ended at 8:00. I really apprevciated your pics, for some one like me they were a life saver. Will test today, it is suppose to be 105 today in KS. Thanks Ron

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Did you put any "rubber groments" or anything under the bottom L braket, I have read that some do for vibration. Also did you have to drill any holes for any of the bolts. Just curious, not real mechanical but I would like to reduce temps. Thanks Ron
I installed mine a year or so ago.. but i want to say i re-used the rubber grommets.. and it was a direct bolt on

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cooler

Looks like you were able to score an aftermarket cooler, I just flipped mine 180.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Do you think its worth. $450. I just messed up my stock cooler. Does it really lower the fluid temps? Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got my lines installed today that I got from alligator performance. Went smooth. Bout 2 hrs for everything. I also raised my cooler way up and it is cooling a lot better. My question is that little sensor thing that was on the bracket, what exactly does it do? I put it on one of the "v" bracket holes. Should it matter? It's in the hole right below where the old bracket mount was on the right side. Can't see it in the photo as I did it after snappin the pic. I also just self tapped the cooler to the "v" bracket and it ain't goin nowhere. I didn't "flip" it though, just raised it up.

·
Why did i wait so long??
367 Posts
That little sensor is for the outside temp that is displayed on the inside mirror.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That little sensor is for the outside temp that is displayed on the inside mirror.
So then I'm guessing it doesn't matter then huh

·
Why did i wait so long??
367 Posts
Depends on whether you want the temp inside or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I mean it shouldn't matter if its on that bracket or just below where it was originally

·
Why did i wait so long??
367 Posts
No it shouldn't matter where as long as it's in the same general area.

·
Registered
135 Posts
@RandoTX is there penty of extra length on those Alligator lines?

·
Registered
23 Posts
the one on the right side was plenty long. the left was almost maxed out at that height. I couldn't flip it as that same left line would not reach. I just drove 350
miles straight yesterday and my temp stayed pegged at 170-180 in 95 degree weather down in south tx, then would drop around town. very nice!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Hey RandoTX, I did this mod and you are right about the temp lowered. Here in Jersey it was in the 90's and the trans temp was around the 200 range. But now since I moved it up for more airflow, Im around 170-180 nothing higher. Thanks for the help of my questions. I will post pics soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
good deal man. figure this was easier to do than making new brackets and what not

41 - 60 of 78 Posts