Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
good deal man. figure this was easier to do than making new brackets and what not
Definitely easy to do. I love how you can see the cooler thru the grill. My only concern is if rocks or bugs hit the cooler and bend the finns since the cooler is aluminum. Other than that i do see people starring at my grill trying to see what it is..lol. Wish our intercooler was out front. That would look badass. Lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
PPE Cooler

Has anybody tried the aftermarket PPE cooler mentioned above? I'm replacing the cooler lines and want to fix the cooler problem at the same time. I'm guessing the larger PPE cooler moved up above the bumper would be a sure fix for my hot temps when pulling the fiver. Another option I'm looking at is the BD cooler with a fan.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I see this is a fairly old post but gonna try anyhow.

I was actually thinking of doing this one better. Get a factory cooler from the scrap yard plumb it in line and add it right above the present one.
Any thoughts?

I see all these cooling line kits but they look like hydraulic hoses to me, any reason why I just wouldnt have them made locally?

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts

I was actually thinking of doing this one better. Get a factory cooler from the scrap yard plumb it in line and add it right above the present one.
Any thoughts?

I see all these cooling line kits but they look like hydraulic hoses to me, any reason why I just wouldnt have them made locally?
I'll probably do this - flip the extra one and leave the original in place.
After installing the replacement Alligator lines, one of the factory metal lines will make the cross connection - they already have the fittings on them.

My lines don't leak - that's why I've procrastinated on putting my new ones on.
They've been sitting on the shelf for 18 months.

Reactions: fendiesal

·
Registered
245 Posts
cooler

One of my lines are leaking at the tranny but I havent looked at it yet. Is it just an O Ring in there that I can replace?

My tranny is not running hot yet but I see no point in waiting until it does.

I already know that towing a 4 horse gooseneck in august 20 mph on the steep gravel roads will heat it up

I think I have arrived at a conclusion

Switch to the deep oem pan found on kodiaks, add a flipped factory cooler above the stock one, install a transgo jr kit and refill with transynd

OpinionS

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Has anybody tried the aftermarket PPE cooler mentioned above? I'm replacing the cooler lines and want to fix the cooler problem at the same time. I'm guessing the larger PPE cooler moved up above the bumper would be a sure fix for my hot temps when pulling the fiver. Another option I'm looking at is the BD cooler with a fan.
I have the PPE cooler, it mounts in teh factory location. normal operating temp of the tranny is generally 100 over ambient.. i consistently run 60-80 over ambient

·
Registered
5,938 Posts

Any thoughts?

they are not cooling line kits.. they are replacement kits. the factory lines are known to leak, even after having them replaced at the dealer, they will leak again.

Several people have gone down and had lines made up for them. Several others dont want to take the time or the money to try to figure out what fittings and lines will work when companies already sell the parts

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
One of my lines are leaking at the tranny but I havent looked at it yet. Is it just an O Ring in there that I can replace?

My tranny is not running hot yet but I see no point in waiting until it does.

I already know that towing a 4 horse gooseneck in august 20 mph on the steep gravel roads will heat it up

I think I have arrived at a conclusion

Switch to the deep oem pan found on kodiaks, add a flipped factory cooler above the stock one, install a transgo jr kit and refill with transynd

OpinionS
:thumb

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Could you let us know how you did the crossover lines and where to obtain them Thanks
Haven't done it yet - Sean helped Paul do his TransGo and lines this weekend and I missed out on the fun.

My plan is to mount the spare cooler, flipped, and then install the new Alligator lines.
I'll clip one incoming to the factory cooler and the other incoming line to the spare cooler.
The lines are long enough to allow for the stretch.
I'm planning using one of the old (non-leaking) lines to clip from spare to factory, making the connection in series rather than parallel.

That's hopefully how it works. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Ahh, step drill . . . good call.

I think Nklpltd sold his rig - up in Utah, I think.

·
Registered
34 Posts
great write up def a cheaper route than going aftermarket

·
Registered
575 Posts
Subd for reference

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also Sub'd for reference ... but I have a question.

It seems that GM originally put these trans coolers below the radiator for a reason? Is anyone running hotter coolant temps now that there is a portion of the radiator blocked? I realize it's probably insignificant and if I remember correctly, several of the trucks I've owned in the past (F150s & Silverado 1500s) ....they came from the factory with the trans cooler right in front of the radiator. All that being said ...did GM drop the trans coolers on the Duramax trucks because of an engine cooling challenge?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am new to this forum and the Durramax Diesel world. I bought a 2007 GMC Sierra 2500 LBZ that had a few mods done to it such as the K&N intake, 5" exhaust, Duratune etc (50 HP) and has 6" lift with 35's . but I tow a 32' fiver weighing approximatly 10k and a 14' enclosed trailer with my RZR in it which is about 3900 lbs for a total of about 14K when pulling doubles. My tranny gets a little warmer than I like so looking for any suggestions of what I should look at doing to help. As I said I am a green horn so I dont know a lot about this stuff.

Any help will be apprciated. Thank you,

61 - 78 of 78 Posts