1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help06 GMC 2500 HD CCSB 4x4
duramax allison combo

yesterday made several runs with the truck with no problems

got in it for another trip last night, crunk right up then died after about 5-10 seconds... will not start back

no codes or check engine light

only sounds i can hear when i turn the key on is a short pump sound that sounds like a fuel pump . only runs for about 1 second... its the pump right under the drivers door on the inside of the frame rail.

any suggestions? Thanks

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Sounds like the lift pump crapped out on you. Did you install the pump or did you buy the truck with it?
Can you tell what make of pump it is?

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
yeah these trucks didn't come with a lift pump so if you see a pump its not factory

·
Registered
906 Posts
Agree the lift pump, obviously not one that allow you to drive your truck if it quits. You need to take it out of the fuel line, truck runs fine without it until you really start adding the power. Find out which one it is and get in touch with the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
These trucks do not have a lift pump-- what you hear is probably the ABS pump, which is located on the frame under the driver's seat.

It sounds like you have lost the prime--- pump the hand pump on top of the filter housing and open the bleeder and pump again. Make sure you have fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I was assuming someone had installed one before he bought it. Common problem is leaking around the plunger sucking in air in the primer. Best to find a used one if that turns out to be the problem. The new quoted price from GM for a replacement housing was ridicules. I've never torn one of the primer heads apart to see if there is an O ring that could be replaced. One tip on priming, I've had two trucks that you couldn't start by yourself if you ran it out of fuel. One person would have to work the prime plunger like crazy and the other cranking the engine. That was the only way it would start.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The security light on the dash isnt flashing by any chance is it? The VATS crapped out in my 03 once, would fire up then shut down.

·
Save Water, Drink Beer
1,102 Posts
Make sure your fuel filter is on tight. You may be losing fuel pressure from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts