Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys (n gals maybe?) I'm from the UK (but dont hold it against me!) and new to this forum, looking at buying what you're calling a 'classic' Duramax around yr2006 but have come across an anomaly....Guy selling says its 360 hp, but his vin and rpo codes confirm its an LLY so therefore must be 300hp, right? I have done a little internet trawling for info , read some conflicting views but cannot seem to find the facts....nobody seems to be able to tell me what the differences are between the 06 LLY and the following LBZ....Kennedy diesels 'click here to mail us' doesnt work for me so cant ask him but his webpage says regard the 2006 LLY as an LBZ for tuning parts ordering so he knows the subject, just cant get hold of them for a proper explanation. Youtube is just too full of hearsayers who dont like this piston or that piston and have no reliable facts....i read the LBZ has a recast beefier block, thicker stronger rods and the piston wrist pins are bigger and read the 06 LLY has the same software as the LBZ but is detuned to 300hp....thats as much as i know......anybody with reliable info?

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Turtlezed FWIW and I admit I'm not an expert on the subject but a previius owner of '05 Silverado CCSB DA LLY 6.6 which was built in June of '05 and missed upgrd to LBZ which began in August '05. The LLY had 5 spd Allison no manaul buttons on the shift lever and LBZ had 6 spd amongst other internal engine upgrds also higher speed ECU. The LLY was rated in PU @ 310hp & 650 ftlbs torque IIRC had 1st gen EGR with high compression and ran hot if pushed hard towing or tuned especially if both. My BIL has '06 Sierra 3500 CCLB DA DRW LBZ with 6 spd has had none of the problems I had with my LLY. If the truck your looking at has shift lever with manual buttons it's an LBZ also in vin # and should have engine family data sticker on rad support beam under hood. I put 170k miles on my LLY including 70k miles with Banks Ottomind Power Pak w spd brk and billet torque converter and CAI including scoop below bumper & AFE turbo inlet which improved overheating issues by controlling CAC temp. YMMV Good luck in your search and acquisition.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
Good info, thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@kenny_r & DucBill525 thanks guys, i'm headed in the right direction....it says LLY in his RPO list as its engine code and 2 as the 8th digit in his full chassis no' but not sure if its a late 2005 truck registered in early 2006. how can you tell if its a 310hp/520lbft engine or the 310/605lb engine? is there a power output sticker/decal? does the sticker on the rad/slam panel state any power output? I haven't been to see it yet, hoping this weekend and would like to go armed with as much info as possible. Since this thing will be pulling a trailer for a living I cant be doing with overheating issues, that's not what I'm looking for.
This 2006 LLY seems like a 'halfway house' for some reason? neither one not the other....I'm wondering were they just applying the later software to an LLY to give it more grunt but not affect its top end for reliability reasons because it doesnt have the stronger internals as previously mentioned. still not 100% with this , more data required......thanks for whats been said so far...really need someone who pulls these apart for a living to chip in.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just realised theres a 6 in position 10 of his chassis no...so it is 2006.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im just talking amongst myself now....the 605lb/ft torque increase is prob due to increased fuel rail pressure, still on same turbo as earlier LLY but software installed as per LBZ.....that would make sense and seem logical if the internals of the 2006 motor were not upgraded like the LBZ. I wonder exactly how many of these freaks there are out there? they were probably just using up the last of the parts from LLY before switching batch to LBZ block etc?? just speculating here....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello turtlezed,

I own an '06 LLY but I am not a mechanic. I have thoroughly researched this topic as well. I have a professional Master Mechanic that specializes in Duramax trucks and he was my final word on this topic. An '06 LLY (eighth digit of the vin being a "2" verses a "D") has all of the mechanicals and hardware upgrades that the LBZ received for '06 BUT HAS A DETUNED ECM as compared to the LBZ.

As you read on Kennedy's website when ordering parts for the '06 LLY you need to refer to LBZ part numbers because it's an LBZ all but the software in the ECM.

Have you seen this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=eU-IpiznoGY

I tow a 10k lbs travel trailer and find this truck vey capable. I am very pleased with my "mutt" of an LBZ.

If you end up with this truck, or another "classic", look into doing the "factory turbo brake" mod. It's an amazingly cheap modification that gives great benefits on the down hills.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@KaliMax......thanks mate that helps loads, it was what I wanted to hear really. why the hell dont they just call it an LBZ?? Hilarious calling your freaky truck a mutt. It is mighty confusing , seems you cant believe what you read on chassis no's these days, its all hidden information isnt it.....so the turbo is different/smaller on the LBZ? probably how they were able to fuel those 650 lbs/ft of torque boosting earlier with smaller faster turbine and stuffing more fuel in to get more beans out.....speculating again , somebody keep me right plz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts