Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I'm new to this site and have been reading the posts on here for a few days now and figure there would be no better place to have my question answered honestly and more accurately. I understand some people will drive one and only one make their entire lives no matter what, but I don't care what truck I end up with as long as its tough and reliable. I need it to work and do some toy hauling during hunting season. I'm in the market for a new diesel and I'm juggling the 07' 6.6 Dmax, the 07' 6.7 Cummy and the 08' 6.4 Stroker. I want a crew cab 4x4.
My biggest concern is the new engines of the Dodge and Ford. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but I have no idea what these new engines and transmissions will bring. I need a truck pretty quick cause mine is about to croak so I have no time to wait out these engines and see what they will do. My current Chevy gas burner has had extreme electric problems since I bought it new off the lot and my old 7.3L Stroker was a warrior until a drunk driver hit me and I couldn't keep a good set of tires on it without wearing them in 15k miles. What would you guys recommend me buy within a few months under these circumstances??? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
121 Posts
buy a cummins or duramax. stay away from powrstroke! i dont know anything about the new powerstrokes but i think the new cummins have different fuel injectors. and for the duramax, all i know is is that the LMM has 5hp and 10tq then the LBZ.

good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well i would stay way away from the ford, they're not done working things out. Plus, in the long run, some repairs require removal of the cab from the frame...That would be ONE expensive RO just trying to diagnose the problem!
The dodge from what I've read is a stroked 5.9....That's been a great motor, i have to give them credit (I would buy a used 12 valve before i got my truck as long as it was a manual trans). I have heard the dodges have power, but lack interior, they have one but it's nothing to brag about... they are also trying a new transmission AND motor and that kind of detered me from waiting for it. I really liked the idea of the mega cab, unless you're towing... It's only a shortbed and that could whack your cab.
The duramax i have is the 07 classic and I dont think I could be any happier, I have a living quarter horse trailer that weighs more empty than most travel trailers do loaded and this thing just chugs down the road never looking back.
I also really like my interior, it's simple, useful, easy to read and controls are at your finger tips.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A lot of good points brought up here.

I was in your situation two months ago, heres basically what boiled down in my little brain:

Ford Super Duty with the 6.4:
The 6.0 powerstroke has a terrible reputation. The 6.4 is basically a revised 6.0 with twin turbos (cool) and modern injection system (also cool). They have already had at least one recall on the 6.4. I like the truck a lot, but am not willing to gamble on the powerstroke. The CC SB 4X4 weighs over 8000...so the truck gets poor mileage and will probably be hard on tires. Ride is a lot stiffer than a GM truck. Torqueshift tranny is good but only a five speed.

Dodge with 6.7:
Haven't driven one, but Dad has a '05 5.9, its been a solid truck. Interiors are little plain but thats totaly a personal taste thing. I really like the solid axle drivetrain of Dodges, but they do ride worse than a GM, but better than a Ford IMO. 6.7 Cummins is based on a great motor, the 5.9. New 6 speed Chrysler tranny, called the Orion, is an unknown....although they did have an Allison as a target so I'd be surprised if it wasn't good. Quad cab a little smaller than a competeing crew cab from GM or Ford, but MegaCab is way big. Again, just personal taste on what you want and if you need a long bed.
With a leveling kit you can fit a good sized tire without needing a full lift, if that makes a difference to you. Personnaly I love the look of my Chev with aftermarket wheels and 285's.

GM with 6.6:
Duramax motor is great, and LBZ has more power than the 6.7 and 6.4. The crew cab SB only weighs about 7000lbs, a good thing. Allison is a fantastic transmission. IFS might be a drawback for you, but after taking a look at how I used my last truck I decided it wasn't. By far, the smoothest riding truck of the three. Nice interiors IMO. I like the size of the CC... you can be comfortable in back without having a 165" wheelbase like the Megacab.

The trucks built with the new 07 emmissions equipment are basically just not going to get mileage as good as the previous trucks....they have to use extra fuel to ignite the particulate filter. I've heard of the particulate filters plugging and not operating totaly as intended on the Dodges. All in all this is the first year of the new emissions stuff for all three makers, and I don't like having a first year anything because there is -ALWAYS- at least some teething issues. Thats why I went with an 07 Classic w/LBZ compared to a new style 07 w/LMM.

In my opinion it boils down to the Dodge or GM, and depends on what configuration you would be happiest with. Test drive a couple and you could probably get a really good deal on an 07 Classic, if they were to your liking.

·
Registered
57 Posts
go with the dmax, fyi 2500 CC 4x4 weighs 9200lbs not 7k..Fords weigh in at around 8500lbs...dmax also has more power than all 3 motors. good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
the 9200 number is gross vehicle weight rating, as in the max weight the vehicle can be including all passengers and cargo. The truck itself weighs about 7000 (lots of variables there), hence about 2200 pound payload capacity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is coming from a cummins owner so dont hate me :tease

Ok dodge came a long way with cummins and in 07.5 they stroked the 5.9 cummins into a 6.7 and they are a workhorse when it comes to pulling, alot emission crap on it though. Try to find a 07 on the lot that has a 5.9 in it if you dont want all this emission crap and are thinking of modding it to cause the 6.7 has to much damn sensors on it. But the 6.7 is a good choice though. CUMMINS FOR PULLING! And reliability, not saying the durmaxes don't, but the 5.9s did prove themselves, don't really know about the 6.7s reliability, but so far I heard its good.

The duramax is has the same motor in it as always (except the new sensors and different programming and such), but they are basically they are the all around good truck. They have a ride that will put you asleep sometimes you will think you ain't even in a truck. They tow great and has excellent power but yet again if you want to tow go with a cummins. But they make it up in sheer HP that everyone has to love if they have a lead foot :rof . So duramax for all around great truck.

Ok here is everyones most feared nightmare :rof the 6.4! The 6.4 is a stroked and bored out 6.0 with a different fuel system and compound turbos. They had troubles with the 6.0 before even through all their years they had at least a bit of trouble (03-04 most worse) so its basically a enhanced 6.0. The 6.4s do tow good and have ok HP, but they are already having troubles with them.
I would stay away from them. Like the old and common sense saying goes "A problem is always a problem, even if you fix it it will still somehow be a problem."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts