Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit confused. Someone on this forum claimed that the new 07 Duramax's are not compatible with biodiesel.....but on the Chevy website they describe they new 07 Duramax as being biodiesel compatible. What's the real story?

Secondly, how does biodiesel compare to ULSD in terms of particulates and overall environmental impact?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was just about to post the same type of thing. Does anyone know what % of Bio you can run in the LBZ, if any?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have heard you can use 5% bio and 95% diesel at the moment with no warranty issues or any known problems. It all depends on where you live, but if you live in colder climates they don't recommend anything higher because the biodiesel will gel up and cause alot of problems. If it is a higher percentage you will have a lot of maintenance issues as well because the biodiesel actually breaks down the deposits that were left from the regular diesel...
Only what I have heard... Don't shoot the messenger!

·
Registered
86 Posts
GM says no more than 5% bio beginning 2004. The new S15 (ULSD) uses bio for an additive to replace the natural lubricants lost in the refining process. The new Duramax engine is built with viton seals that withstand bio. My 2002 was not, the left bank fuel rail has already required rebuilding to replace the copper seals which began leaking fuel into the crankcase. Cost-$760, now I'm waiting on the right bank to begin leaking. My source is:http://http://www.biodieselnow.com/blogs/general_biodiesel/default.aspx

·
Registered
20 Posts
I run Bio in my 2006 all the time. I personally haven't gone higher than B50, but work with a guy to runs B99 almost exclusively. According to the BioDiesel web stuff there is no problem. I have not heard of any issues running Bio. Matter of fact, with the low sulfer diesel struggling to keep lubricity in the fuel, the bio does not have that problem. http://www.biodiesel.org/news/bulletin/

·
Registered
86 Posts
wheat, does the biodiesel website offer to assume your GM warranty too? How do they know GM is wrong when they limit the bio-diesel 5%? If the bio-diesel organization can prove GM wrong, or assume their Duramax warranty, I'd like to use the stuff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting topic. Don't know whos right. I know the performance guys run bio for added lubrication. I know guys that run additives that range from high end stuff like ames oil prodcuts to marvel mystery oil, I know one guy who puts a few ounces of 2 cycle oil in every tank for lubrication actualy that kind of makes sense to me. The injector pump went out on my john deere. The guy at the shop ask me if I run bio diesel in it, which I currently do not. He indicated that they are seeing a higher number in injector pump failures with biodiesel do to less lubrication. He seems to thnk it is because of water in the fuel or gelling of the fuel reduces the lubrication properties of the fuel. Don't know which way to go on the bio stuff?

·
Registered
8 Posts
What about the newest 2500 Duramax, 2007/8 I think its the LLM?

Does this run on Bio 100?

I run my Audi Allroad, VW vans and an old Mercedes on Bio 100% and although I change filters earlier than normal, precautionary need only, all the cars and trucks run great.

This is a mine field to say the least as its not so bad when you have an older out of warranty vehicle, but not so great when its new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bio-diesel

They will all run on B100, but your warranty would be void as GM will only approve B5.
I checked with BD diesel (Abbotsford BC) and they informed me that all the engine components are bio-diesel compatible. The problem comes from the quality of the bio-diesel you create or buy.

GM is planning to supply bio-diesel vehicles for the 2010 winter Olympics. I have not heard what percentage they are planning to use B5 or B100.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Surely the trouble for GM would be how do they prove that you had B100 in the tank if you have drained it before they get to it?

I too think GM are advertising green credentials in an unacceptable manner unless they do as they claim.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have an 08 Duramax. It is B5 compatible and I have been running it with no problems other than having to change the fuel filter sooner. I get better milage, more power, the regen system doesn't kick in as often or for as long. I wish we could run higher percentages truthfully with B5 making that much of a difference.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow this is an old thread you dug up to say the least!!

The problem with running anything higher than B5 has been in the late post injection in the LMM motors to provide burn-off in the DPF. Too much Bio leaking into the crankcase since it has a slower burn rate than the Dino-Diesel. You can read more here:

SaveBiodiesel.org

That's also a perm-link in my Sig.
BTW - If you remove your DPF and run a Mod to delete the DPF from the computer it's seems this will make it possible to run even B100 as some guys here do in their earlier Duramaxes. However, this Will void your warranty and could get you fined.

Here is a link to the 2010 LML model Duramax and the fix for late post injection with a 9th injector!!! But the Urea system is further crap to deal with, extra cost and is now Federally mandated (at least NOx removal is) :confused:

First Look Duramax LML and LGH Engines

·
Vendor
184 Posts
I ran bio for a while in my 2008 LMM. I was running B10 or B20 most of the time and the truck loved it. The reason I am not doing it anymore is because of my DPF filter and the regen process. MY UNDERSTANDING, is when the truck goes into regen fuel is able (only during the regen process) to get into the engine oil and dilute the oil with fuel. A good refrence is the web-link above "Savebiodiesel.org"

That is the only reason I am cautious abour running bio in my truck. If I didn't have the dpf, I would run B20 all of the time.

Disclaimer: These are my opinions only based on my research on here and other forums. Run bio at your own risk, but you know what I would do!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow this is an old thread you dug up to say the least!!

The problem with running anything higher than B5 has been in the late post injection in the LMM motors to provide burn-off in the DPF. Too much Bio leaking into the crankcase since it has a slower burn rate than the Dino-Diesel. You can read more here:

SaveBiodiesel.org

That's also a perm-link in my Sig.
BTW - If you remove your DPF and run a Mod to delete the DPF from the computer it's seems this will make it possible to run even B100 as some guys here do in their earlier Duramaxes. However, this Will void your warranty and could get you fined.

Here is a link to the 2010 LML model Duramax and the fix for late post injection with a 9th injector!!! But the Urea system is further crap to deal with, extra cost and is now Federally mandated (at least NOx removal is) :confused:

First Look Duramax LML and LGH Engines
It figures I'd be late to the party. I just started here so work with me. I work for a Chevy dealer and I don't even have that info. Thank you! I've heard something else on the 2010 though. That a fluid was going to have to poured in the intake every 6000 miles to burn off the soot. This was told to me by someone who works for Dmax. Very interesting on both sides. I wondered what the deal with bio was though. Thanks again!

·
Vendor
184 Posts
It figures I'd be late to the party. I just started here so work with me. I work for a Chevy dealer and I don't even have that info. Thank you! I've heard something else on the 2010 though. That a fluid was going to have to poured in the intake every 6000 miles to burn off the soot. This was told to me by someone who works for Dmax. Very interesting on both sides. I wondered what the deal with bio was though. Thanks again!
I might be mistaken; however, I believe you are refeering to the UREA injection.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My bet is that you are correct. A lot of GM workers get told things, or tell things that aren't exactly right. It sounds like another bad idea from the gov. any way you look at it. Which also comes in to play with the DPF...I am seriously thinking about a pipe and a retune on that issue. My truck like the B5 I run in it and I would like to be able to run a higher percentage.

·
Registered
784 Posts
bio diesel

worst thing about bio the smell makes me crave french fries :rof additives? ketchup and vinegar of course!:LMAO

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.