Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately on my truck the steering has felt off by a lot, whining, hard / stiff steering and gets worse as the truck warms up,

I had even cleaned up everything within the engine bay too including the driver side intercooler pipe, which is now covered in a black grimey substance behind the ps pump.. could be a power steering hose leak?
i've been thinking of replacing the pump and installing dhd lines to fix this, any suggestions or ideas please let me know.

· Registered
113 Posts
Clean it up and pin pont the leak first. When was the last time you replaced the power steering fluid? If you haven't you can find directions on the forum. I have also added a power steering cooler (small trans cooler) and it adds life to the fluid.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

· Registered
7,506 Posts
Could your black gooey stuff be coming from your pressurized hot side piping? Make sure you don't have any boost leaking out.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've first bled and flushed the system a couple months ago, it steered pretty well for a while after but then got stiff again. thats why im kinda thinking the lines are slowly leaking and letting air in slowly again, and im planning on adding a fluid cooler as well oklawall, but im a bit confused as to how to do it.

· Registered
113 Posts
i've first bled and flushed the system a couple months ago, it steered pretty well for a while after but then got stiff again. thats why im kinda thinking the lines are slowly leaking and letting air in slowly again, and im planning on adding a fluid cooler as well oklawall, but im a bit confused as to how to do it.
Took me 2 times of flushing and fill to get mine working correctly. I flushed with the cheap power steering fluid from O'Reilly and when I was done I filled it with dextron 6 (the synthetic stuff that is equivalent to our trans fluid). This handles heat better because remember our power steering fluid supplies pressure for not only steering but also brakes. With some days sitting in stop and go traffic that fluid gets hot. For the cooler I just went to the auto parts store got a small trans cooler and some return power steering hose. Remove the old hose (between the steering gear and the pump this is the hose without the pressed on fitting ) run the hose to the front of the cooling stack and I made a bracket and mount the cooler and connect the lines.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
12,091 Posts
Never heard of power steering lines letting air into the system as it's under pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.