Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the highway tonight with my 4 horse aluminum trailer with the cruise set at 70. All of a sudden I heard the engine sounding a bit strange and not 5 seconds later I heard it sound like kinda a spit and sputter and just shut down and I coasted off the highway onto an off ramp. I tried to start it and it would turn over two or three times and then make kind of a tinging noise. Then it would spin the same two or three times and make the same noise again. I didn't try to do it anymore and I had to get it towed about 80 miles back to an area shop just to get told what is wrong hopefully. I checked the oil and I didn't see any metal in it that I could see. No new strange leaks at all and it was running fine. It has 240k and I think that the injectors were replaced before I bought it with 180k on it.
It has had the egr removed, 6" exhaust installed, new fuel hoses and efi live tuner. It was in the tow mode of the programs. I checked the codes on the programmer and it read the cam and crank sensor along with the ecm code. I am just curious if anyone has any idea what might have happened. I am no mechanic, but I felt like something important broke and fearing that it's beyond saving. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Yikes. I don't know what to say but look forward to hearing what they have to say.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just went through the same scenario without the strange starting noises! In my case the CP4 crapped the bed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I got some news today. They called me to come in and take a look at it. He showed me how when he turned the crank it moved in and out at least an 1/8th of an inch. He said that anytime you see that it means that the crank is broke. He said that the spec tolerance is .02-.08 and I could physically see it move quite a bit. He said that it could possibly be rebuilt or it might have done too much damage to the block. So as of now, I'm looking for a newer truck. I'm probably going to have to just try and sell it needing a new engine. I am guessing that it's not worth very much that way but still better than nothing. 😔

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
There are quite a few threads about broken cranks. One even had a video of how they are made and where the weak spots were likely to occur.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts