Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So i have some paint starting to peel on my box, in front of the wheels down by the running boards and figured ... "ahhh sh!t...really?? better fix that before the disease spreads outta control!"

Went down to the local body shop, got him to quote it out and so on and he said "oh that's your e-coat peeling"

he explained its the primer from factory... fair enough i thought. then i asked him to take a look inside my fender wells of the box as rock chips have developed from a neglectful previous owner so i figured fix it all up at once and do it right.

Anyway long story short he said that the wheel wells are made of galvanized steel.. therefore wont rust.. is he BS'n me or did gmc finally smarten up?

And if the wells are galv. then would the entire box if not entire body work of the truck be galvanized? therefore essentially be rust free? no... gmc wouldnt do that would they? they'd risk too much loss in future sales...right?

Lol thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I thought GM warrented Paint for 100,000 mi!

·
Registered
657 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
^^ya what he asked... very curious

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fill us in! save me the paint job bill!! lol. i'll investigate tomorrow but i thought that since im second owner, any extended warrienties are only allowed to original owner and only factory warrenties apply and from what ive heard is that only powertrain remains on my truck for another month (5 year 100,000km?) or 160,000km? either way..

(btw my truck only has 87xxx KMS on it..)

·
Registered
923 Posts
I know i read that GM started useing galvanized body panels in 88.

·
Registered
360 Posts
No not rock chips rust and paint pealing look in your owners manual . My brother inlaw got a complete paint job when his paint was peeling off after 4yrs. Look in your manuels before you start making assinine coments, and no it doesn't cover stone chips.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Hey all,

So i have some paint starting to peel on my box, in front of the wheels down by the running boards and figured ... "ahhh sh!t...really?? better fix that before the disease spreads outta control!"

Went down to the local body shop, got him to quote it out and so on and he said "oh that's your e-coat peeling"

he explained its the primer from factory... fair enough i thought. then i asked him to take a look inside my fender wells of the box as rock chips have developed from a neglectful previous owner so i figured fix it all up at once and do it right.

Anyway long story short he said that the wheel wells are made of galvanized steel.. therefore wont rust.. is he BS'n me or did gmc finally smarten up?

And if the wells are galv. then would the entire box if not entire body work of the truck be galvanized? therefore essentially be rust free? no... gmc wouldnt do that would they? they'd risk too much loss in future sales...right?

Lol thanks for the input guys.
They will rust straight thru, ask me how I know...:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went through this when I bought my '08 used from the local Chevy dealer. The box had 3 rust spots starting to form above both wheel wells. Dealer and also GM themselves informed me that their paint/rust protection is rust through protection. If it doesn't rust from the inside out then it is not covered. But I fought with the dealer and GM enough I got both sides of the box repainted for $400. It helped that the salesman told me it would be covered when I pointed it out before I bought it and he actually stood behind his word when confronted by management. As far as I am concerned the GM rust protection is garbage unless your vehicle body panels actually rusts through. This is my experience and opinion with GM's protection plan.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I figured that much Jsimpson801 as you said the GM rust protection is gabage. Every thing thats supposed to be warrenteed they can always figure a way not to cover it, unless you have a dealer that will stand by his word,and did't GM take all of the good dealers franchises away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts