Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to buy myself a 1/2” drive battery impact for Christmas. Probably go with Dewalt but one of the mechanics at work has an Earthquake (Harbor Freight) that’s two years old, has been through hell and is still going strong every day. Is there any other good brands to consider or run away from? I have two garages/compressors and a couple different air guns so this will just be a backup tool just in case I can’t get something to the garage or if we need to change a tire on the Jeep out on the trail. Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I've got the 18v Ryobi collection underway.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
This is the one I bought over 3 years ago, works better than my Ingersoll Rand 1/2 impact that I bought years ago for $400.
I have air compressors with 50' hose in my RV's for that impact but I don't have to even turn them on anymore unless I need air for something, like tires.
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF889M2-20-volt-Lithium-2-Inch/dp/B0099S9ZXW/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1G5IR8VVU0ZV&keywords=dewalt+20+volt+1/2+inch+impact&qid=1574039211&sprefix=dewalt+20+volt+,aps,206&sr=8-8&th=1

When I bought this Dewalt it was made in the USA, the short stubby one costs less $$ but made in China.

I'm a Ryboi guy but that 18 volt could not break loose my lug nuts on my MH.
Torque specs it shows 400 feet pounds, all I know is this Dewalt works great and quick with long battery life.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Can’t go wrong with any of the 3 above :thumb
What I liked with mine was I gots 2 batteries, charger and case.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Going to buy myself a 1/2” drive battery impact for Christmas. Probably go with Dewalt but one of the mechanics at work has an Earthquake (Harbor Freight) that’s two years old, has been through hell and is still going strong every day. Is there any other good brands to consider or run away from? I have two garages/compressors and a couple different air guns so this will just be a backup tool just in case I can’t get something to the garage or if we need to change a tire on the Jeep out on the trail. Thanks for any advice.
I have the DeWalt with the hog ring that does 700 lb*ft tightening and 1200 lb*ft loosening. It's terrific. But if I had to do it all over I think I'd go with Milwaukee (I have a bunch of DeWalt tools and batteries so I'm committed at this point).

DEWALT 20V MAX XR Impact Wrench Kit, Brushless, High Torque, Hog Ring Anvil, 1/2-Inch, Tool Only (DCF899HB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WTQW7JA/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_yXF0DbW54WQNG

·
Registered
10,249 Posts
I have some Milwaukee tools and kobalts. Ive had my kobalt about a year now. I use it all the time and have only charged it 5 times. Havent found anything it wont take off. Got it on sale with battery for 150. 650ftlb brushless. Couldn't beat it

·
Registered
121 Posts
i got the earthquake XT 1/2 drive from harbor freight and its great.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
That Milwaukee’s a beast, I’ll have to check it out.
I'll vouch for a Milwaukee. I have had mine for going on 5 years. Haven't used my pneumatic impact since this purchase. The number of things I have broken loose with this tool, not to mention the things it has been able to twist off. It stays in the truck at all times just in case of that roadside emergency.

·
Registered
486 Posts
That Milwaukee’s a beast, I’ll have to check it out.
I have the 1400lb/ft one,,I rarely pick up my matco gun any more,,also have the 9.0 batteries for it.awesome tool

felt the dewalt was to bulky for tight quarter car work.

Reactions: Sierraluva

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Milwaukee guns will walk on the DeWalts any day. We have both at work and the Milwaukees are preferred. I have the Milwaukee at home and it's way more than I've ever needed. May pickup the 3/8" impact for tighter areas.

That being said, most power tool brands offer 1/2" impacts these days so if you already have a bunch of one brand, might as well go with the brand you already have.

Reactions: bigpetro

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Milwaukee-bar none. Mine is a beast at 1400 break out lbs.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I have the same one as DRC.

I purchased it to use on the camper in case of an on the road tire change. Good thing that I had it as I had a blow out on first trip after the purchase. Worked like a champ.

Hardly use my pneumatic compressor any more when changing out tires/wheels.

Don't think that you can go wrong with any of the recommendations here.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts