Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I use my cordless impacts constantly. They're so crucial to what I do, I keep two on my truck so I have a backup. I've had Dewalt 18v, Dewalt 28v, and Milwaukee 18v Fuel. All my Dewalts are gone, the Milwaukee tools are in a bin in the attic. I switched to Hilti about 3 years ago and there is no way in hell I'd ever go back to either Dewalt or Milwaukee. My Milwaukee tools still get used by trainees. On occasion I'll grab a Milwaukee because it's close by and after using it on one bolt or lag, I hand it back to the helper, curse the pathetic P.O.S. (tool, not helper) and go out to my truck for my Hilti. They cost roughly 25% more than Dewalt and Milwaukee and worth every penny.

Warning: Do NOT buy Hilti from anywhere but direct from Hilti. You will pay more and Hilti does not warranty tools sold by third parties.

Impact Driver
1/2" Impact Wrench
Mini Band Saw
Recprocating Saw
Circular Saw
Hammer Drill
SDS+ Rotary Hammer
5" Angle Grinder

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I was/am in the same boat of wanting to get one.

I saw a guy at a tire shop with the Milwaukee one and asked him about it, he had nothing but great things to say about it to include the fact that it was 2 years old and he uses it constantly all day every day and it has not let him down yet.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I was/am in the same boat of wanting to get one.

I saw a guy at a tire shop with the Milwaukee one and asked him about it, he had nothing but great things to say about it to include the fact that it was 2 years old and he uses it constantly all day every day and it has not let him down yet.
Milwaukee and Dewalt are fine until you use something better. Makita and Bosch are probably about as good but I have no experience with them. Ryobi and Rigid are for homeowners.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I use my cordless impacts constantly. They're so crucial to what I do, I keep two on my truck so I have a backup. I've had Dewalt 18v, Dewalt 28v, and Milwaukee 18v Fuel. All my Dewalts are gone, the Milwaukee tools are in a bin in the attic. I switched to Hilti about 3 years ago and there is no way in hell I'd ever go back to either Dewalt or Milwaukee. My Milwaukee tools still get used by trainees. On occasion I'll grab a Milwaukee because it's close by and after using it on one bolt or lag, I hand it back to the helper, curse the pathetic P.O.S. (tool, not helper) and go out to my truck for my Hilti. They cost roughly 25% more than Dewalt and Milwaukee and worth every penny.

Warning: Do NOT buy Hilti from anywhere but direct from Hilti. You will pay more and Hilti does not warranty tools sold by third parties.

Impact Driver
1/2" Impact Wrench
Mini Band Saw
Recprocating Saw
Circular Saw
Hammer Drill
SDS+ Rotary Hammer
5" Angle Grinder
Milwaukee and Dewalt are fine until you use something better. Makita and Bosch are probably about as good but I have no experience with them. Ryobi and Rigid are for homeowners.
What, specifically, is so bad about Dewalt and Milwaukee?

According to this, the Hilti 1/2" impact is capable of applying 3982 in*lbs, which is equal to only 332 ft*lbs. The Dewalt and Milwaukee tools at the same price point are capable of many multiples of this torque.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My Chevy truck technician switched to Milwaukee a few years ago and has received great service from the tools and batteries.

I started using them 2 years ago and really like the battery life. Mine get used very regularly working on the truck, mower, tractor or a trailer.

The 1/2" impact is the model with 1100 ft lb of loosening force. I have used it a lot, especially removing mower blades. It makes removing the 8 lug wheels off the truck and 3 trailers much less of a task. Also made removing tractor lugs easy.

My neighbor probably has 20 Makita impacts, drills and recip saws. He jobs are very hard on the drills. He used Dewalts 15 years back and they did not hold up well. Drills only last him a year.

The local John Deere dealer has several 1/2" Harbor Freight Earthquake impacts that get used a lot on big tractors. They say they work great for what they cost.

However, for heavy homeowner use, I would not be scared of Rigid or Kobalt or Earthquake. The crappy batteries of any brand are probably why most of us do not like cheaper models. You must get a high amp-hour battery to get decent use out of the tool. That is the big advantage of the pricier brands. Most tool test that I have seen show a Milwaukee getting the most work done. Overkill for most homeowners though.

I bought a 12 Milwaukee set plus ratchet last year. Smart ass Jr called it my Fisher Price starter tool set. It is nice to use on smaller jobs around the house. It won't drive 3" screws as fast or easy but will do the job. It fits in your pocket which makes it handy if working up on a ladder and have your hands full of stuff to carry up.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sounds like I’ll probably go Milwaukee. Next time the tool guy comes by our office I’ll price the Milwaukee and see what kind of our mechanics buy a shitload of stuff off you so make me a good deal - deal I can get :thumb

·
Registered
451 Posts
I just got a Ridgid this week, Home depot black friday sale They had 2 batteries and charger for $199 then pick a free tool.
Already have the drill and mini impact driver, they have been great for two years.

Much better tool than the Ryobi stuff I've had for years, that really wasn't bad....

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I have the earthquake from HF. For me it does the job. I use it in the shop for tire rotation. It will break lug nuts loose with the tire off of the ground. For the price and job it does I love it.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Ive got a Goodyear one that I bought at Pep Boys on sale for $75. Save your money for a good one.

Its hog ring made it Very hard to get the sockets off. I pulled the ring off and just hold the socket. It is also not as powerful as they advertise.

I have to break the wheel nuts free with a spider wrench and use it to just spin the nuts off and then back on after starting them by hand. Tighten with that same spider wrench.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
What, specifically, is so bad about Dewalt and Milwaukee?

According to this, the Hilti 1/2" impact is capable of applying 3982 in*lbs, which is equal to only 332 ft*lbs. The Dewalt and Milwaukee tools at the same price point are capable of many multiples of this torque.
I never said they were "bad", I said, DeWalt and Milwaukee are fine until you use something better. Then you won't want to go back. You're comparing advertising, I'm comparing personally experienced, real world, daily commercial use of all three brands. DeWalt 20v isn't even really 20v, it's 18v. They use the same 5) 18650 (5x3.6=18) batteries as Milwaukee 18v Fuel. If they make that up, don't you think they might make up something else? Manufacturers also set up torque tests to produce the highest number you can possibly generate in a lab. It's called advertising wank. Hilti under rates their tools. What they now call 22v used to be called 18v. In reality, they're 22.6v, so still under rated. Hilti doesn't rely on marketing wank. You can go to a Hilti store and try out tools. They even have a concrete block for you to try out hammer drills, rotary hammers, and chipping hammers before buying. If I hadn't tried out my angle grinder first, I #1. wouldn't have bought another cordless grinder, and #2. I wouldn't have believed the performance. You're also talking price points. Yes, you can get a Kobalt wrench cheaper than a Snap-On wrench. Is the Kobalt just as good? Fuck no. Is the Snap-On worth the extra money? For some people, yes, for others, no. If you want to compete on price, and believe every advertising statistic you see, stay with big box store tools. If you want real world performance and longevity, go with professional tools. I used to replace my DeWalt impact switch (trigger) about every 3 months and the motor about every 4-6 months. The over-molding also comes off after several months of use with oily hands. In 3 years, I have not replaced a switch, or a motor in my Hilti, and the over-molding is still 100% intact.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
I never said they were "bad", I said, DeWalt and Milwaukee are fine until you use something better. Then you won't want to go back. You're comparing advertising, I'm comparing personally experienced, real world, daily commercial use of all three brands. DeWalt 20v isn't even really 20v, it's 18v. They use the same 5) 18650 (5x3.6=18) batteries as Milwaukee 18v Fuel. If they make that up, don't you think they might make up something else? Manufacturers also set up torque tests to produce the highest number you can possibly generate in a lab. It's called advertising wank. Hilti under rates their tools. What they now call 22v used to be called 18v. In reality, they're 22.6v, so still under rated. Hilti doesn't rely on marketing wank. You can go to a Hilti store and try out tools. They even have a concrete block for you to try out hammer drills, rotary hammers, and chipping hammers before buying. If I hadn't tried out my angle grinder first, I #1. wouldn't have bought another cordless grinder, and #2. I wouldn't have believed the performance. You're also talking price points. Yes, you can get a Kobalt wrench cheaper than a Snap-On wrench. Is the Kobalt just as good? Fuck no. Is the Snap-On worth the extra money? For some people, yes, for others, no. If you want to compete on price, and believe every advertising statistic you see, stay with big box store tools. If you want real world performance and longevity, go with professional tools. I used to replace my DeWalt impact switch (trigger) about every 3 months and the motor about every 4-6 months. The over-molding also comes off after several months of use with oily hands. In 3 years, I have not replaced a switch, or a motor in my Hilti, and the over-molding is still 100% intact.
A wise man (friend of my father) once told me "Always buy the best of everything, particularly tools. The best one will last longer, serve you better and be easier to use mostly than two of the cheap ones".

I have always found that advice to be true.

Do I always follow it, No. Sometimes when I know it is a very seldom use item I go with the less expensive (cheap) one. But, if it is something I will use regularly, I always follow that advice. It has served me well in that instance.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

Impact Driver
1/2" Impact Wrench
Mini Band Saw
Recprocating Saw
Circular Saw
Hammer Drill
SDS+ Rotary Hammer
5" Angle Grinder
I never said they were "bad", I said, DeWalt and Milwaukee are fine until you use something better.
Right; how could I have possibly confused what you said with the statement that DeWalt and Milwaukee are "bad." :rolleyes:

I used to replace my DeWalt impact switch (trigger) about every 3 months and the motor about every 4-6 months. The over-molding also comes off after several months of use with oily hands. In 3 years, I have not replaced a switch, or a motor in my Hilti, and the over-molding is still 100% intact.
This is a reasonable point but it is not commensurate with your over-the-top, hyperbolic condemnation of all the other tool brands. Your original post made it seem like the difference in performance would be immediately obvious upon a single comparison of a Dewalt/Milwaukee tool with a Hilti, but in fact you're talking about long-term durability.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Right; how could I have possibly confused what you said with the statement that DeWalt and Milwaukee are "bad." :rolleyes:

This is a reasonable point but it is not commensurate with your over-the-top, hyperbolic condemnation of all the other tool brands. Your original post made it seem like the difference in performance would be immediately obvious upon a single comparison of a Dewalt/Milwaukee tool with a Hilti, but in fact you're talking about long-term durability.
This is why I rarely post anything, because there's always someone like you just looking for something to be upset about. It appears that you have taken my tool preferences, based on my experience as a personal insult. I never "condemned all other tool brands". ANYTHING can be considered fine until something better is used and that includes Hilti. I even said that not everyone will find that high end tools are worth the extra expense.

Yes, I was talking about longevity but I was also talking about immediate differences in performance.

Over the top hyperbole? I did not exaggerate any claims, I stated facts. I am sorry that facts conflict with your personal beliefs.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
This is why I rarely post anything, because there's always someone like you just looking for something to be upset about. It appears that you have taken my tool preferences, based on my experience as a personal insult. I never "condemned all other tool brands". ANYTHING can be considered fine until something better is used and that includes Hilti. I even said that not everyone will find that high end tools are worth the extra expense.

Yes, I was talking about longevity but I was also talking about immediate differences in performance.

Over the top hyperbole? I did not exaggerate any claims, I stated facts. I am sorry that facts conflict with your personal beliefs.
But I'm not upset, and I have no personal "beliefs" about the superiority of any particular brand of tool. I've only used DeWalt (and Milwaukee, to a much lesser extent) so that's all I really know, and that's why I asked what aspects of the Hilti made it better than the others. It's unfortunate that you're taking this so personally.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
But I'm not upset, and I have no personal "beliefs" about the superiority of any particular brand of tool. I've only used DeWalt (and Milwaukee, to a much lesser extent) so that's all I really know, and that's why I asked what aspects of the Hilti made it better than the others. It's unfortunate that you're taking this so personally.
Ok thumb:

LMAO!

Reactions: pigpen23

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Milwaukee M-18 Fuel with One Key

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Works for me, I own my brick and mortar home paid off in full since 2010, 2 homes on wheels also paid in full since 2008.:thumb
If you have no actual experience with a product, ur opinions don’t count.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just brought in the full line oh Hilti 22V tools for our rental branches. Good quality, a little heavier than my Makita 18V that I use at home. One thing that gets rented out a lot is the 12V car charger for the tools. Don't see that from many of the competitors. They also make a 3/4" drive in 22 Volt. Hilti is just releasing some 36V cordless tools- this may get interesting!

Reactions: Nitro Junkie

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
That’s the same price as the Harbor Freight :eek: I’ll have to notify wifey-claus!

I played with our mechanics Earthquake today. Had to change a tire on my International rig truck. Ten 1-5/16 “ lug nuts zipped off like nothing, changed the tire/wheel, hammered the lugs back on and couldn’t move them any more with a 3/4” breaker bar. It’s two years old and gets used daily in our garage working on pickups, big trucks and heavy equipment....but only a 90 day warranty Downerrr

21 - 40 of 58 Posts