Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK need input. I am tired of buying cheep impacts every other year. i am looking to buy GOOD one that will last. The Craftsman I have now I spent around 160 I think it's lasted about 2-2.5yrs it still works but the buttons all fall out. I haven't tried taking it by the Sears repair center yet but since I will get a new garage I will be slowly replacing all my outside tools with good stuff. So I figure this is a good place to start.

Is this the best out right now? That's what i have came up with trolling around on some other sites but I want to ask you guys I value your opinions.:drink

Ingersoll-Rand 2135TiMAX

·
Registered
121 Posts
Get the 2135Qti max......its the quiet version. I have had my 2135Qti for 5-6 years now and its been flawless. I also have a 2135ti at home and its flawless as well.

Personally I wont buy anything but IR.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ingersol-Rand is what I use. Used them for years every day. Lightweight and strong. Never had any problems with them.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys that also what I am seeing on other sites. looks like the way too go

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm deff has more power and it's 1lb heavier, but is it worth the extra almost $200???

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had an ir titanium and ruined it quick! Got a snap on can't remember the model but its there big 1/2 inch and love it! Imo way better than ir

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did you ruin it?

·
I'm That Guy...
16,684 Posts
Subscribe.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wow i just spent the last hour looking at threads on different sites comparing the IR vs the SO. and its soo close. A lot like the IR it's more compact and lighter and better balanced.

A few people have had to send in there SO multiple time for losing power. haven't seen any IR owner having to send theirs in. Only problem I seen is IR doesn't warrenty if it has signs of water in it and SO doesn't seen to care.

SO does have a internal oil bath and internal brake. That is a plus.

A lot of peole don't like the weight and nose heaviness fo the SO they said it feels like a brick with a handle.

Both have 2yr warrenty

One guy did a power test at same air pressure and he said they are very close in power. he said the SO in actual rated and the IR is under rated. They both were right around 1000lbs break.

I think from what I read most agree the IR is the better value unless your a diehard SO guy, which I am not at all. I think out of all my tools I only have 1 impact socket set and a couple ratchets. Mainly because when I break a tool (i have broke all brands) It's alot easier to run down the street to Sears or Lowes to get free replacement any day of the week, since I don't work a shop or own a business it's hard chasing down the Snap on guy. A friend use to drive one of the truck so it was easy then but he stopped a while back.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Snap on all the way, just bought the cordless 3/8 impact and it busted my body mounts loose no problem. And its lifetime warranty if it breaks.

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
I dont run the titanium I have a thunder gun and and 1/2"HD both IR and have never had any trouble they have been going 5-6 years without a bit of trouble

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Snap on all the way, just bought the cordless 3/8 impact and it busted my body mounts loose no problem. And its lifetime warranty if it breaks.
According to the snap on web site 3/8 14.4v model ct4410a only has a 1 year warranty.

I think most of their power tools have 1 year warranties a few have 2yr I don;t think any have lifetime it's only their hand tools that have lifetime. I am pretty sure but I maybe wrong

·
Registered
189 Posts
yeah my snap on air impact only has a 1 year, i ruined my titanium trying to take the lugnuts off of a bug piece of machinery, hamered itself to death! snapon guy was there bought the one i have now took the nuts right off, no problems after that!

·
Registered
945 Posts
you can't beat a snap-on or a mac.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you send in the IR for repair or was the warranty up? Both guns I am talking about have 2yr warranties is this new for the SO?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Snap on is NOT worth a damn dime extra! Even if they were the same price, I would buy the IR all day long before snap on.

For those saying buy MAC.....MAC IS IR!!! If you cannot tell by just looking at it your blind!

I work in a dealership.....and havent EVER had a single issue with ANY of my IR guns. When I went to the quiet series, I retired my others to the toolbox at home. A guy in the shop has the snap-on 1/2 drive air gun and its been fixed several times. It is NOT under any lifetime warranty. Its a flat fee of like $125 bucks to fix it everytime no matter how major or minor the repair is.

So tell me how snap on is worth anything? Your buying the name.....nothing more.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I use an Aircat NitroCat. I bought it used and dont use on a regular basis but have been very happy with the power and performance of it. They are much cheaper than IR or Snapon but are rated for 1000 ft lbs of reverse torque. I dont know how they would hold up if used regularly but for my purposes, I have been happy with it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
IR titanium all the way. Have had mine for 5 years now no problems out of it. Run anythting from 90 psi up to 150psi through it. All my buddies call me when they need an impact gun to borrow when theirs dont tackle the task.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts