Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I have a 2006 2500HD Sierra SLT Duramax/Allison trans. truck. I bought it with about 60K miles and now it is double that. I have always been the kind to do any maintenance necessary, this is my first diesel truck and I have always taken it to the dealership since I am afraid to give it to anyone else (probably a stupid thing, right?). Anyways, I have always felt like the dealer didn't really care (this was south Florida/West Palm Beach area) and it sometimes felt like they did things that I really did not need but I did them anyways to make sure the truck will be OK. At the current mileage (118K), what do I need besides oil changes/fuel filter changes? (the truck came with no manual/schedule). When does the transmission fluid need to be changed? How about power steering? How about differential service? Anything else I need to service?

I moved to Texas/Austin area just two weeks ago - if anyone knows of any reputable shops comfortable with servicing diesels, I would appreciate sharing the info :). I would imagine Texas has a lot of trucks and diesels (many more than south FL anyways) so finding reputable people should not be that difficult?

How much should one expect to pay for a routine oil and filter/fuel filter change?

I always wondered also about how often to change the oil? Every time I reached 3K miles or 3 months the computer indicated that the oil was at (for example) 50% and fuel filter at 50% but I still went ahead and got them changed. What is the point of having the computer tell you a number when in reality it does not mean anything?

Thanks!
OD

P.S. Yes, I am a beginner afraid to lift the hood up and do my own work on my truck, I don't mind playing with my 96 ford t-bird but that car is worth $1500, not $20+K like the truck...

·
Registered
457 Posts
I never change the oil until I am down to 10% on the DIC. I assume the fuel filter is the same.

·
Registered
143 Posts
There is so much debate about when the right time is to change filters and fluids. You will always find some people error on the early side and others let their fluids run for a long time. It's whatever works best for each person.

I myself have a strict maint. schedule that I follow to the mile.
oil every 3k
fuel every 6k
trans filter every 6k
Trans full flush every 30k
check t-case every other oil change
As well as checking all other fluids and greasing the chassis every oil change (chassis only when needed)

When I first got the truck the first few oil changes were black tar and now it is nice and clean looking when changed. I am going to do this a couple more changes and then maybe move it to 5k intervals but I will ALWAYS change the fuel at 6k since I have seen WAY to much crap fuel in my area.
I never run it without an additive in the fuel tank as well

It has worked for me but it may not work for you or your pocketbook.

Truck is an 06 3500 DRW and pull 22 mpg out on the interstate.

When I first bought the truck on the drive home it could barely muster 16.5-17 mpg

I do this mainly because I take pride in the truck and also because I dont have the money to just go buy another truck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is so much debate about when the right time is to change filters and fluids. You will always find some people error on the early side and others let their fluids run for a long time. It's whatever works best for each person.

oil every 3k
fuel every 6k
trans filter every 6k
As well as checking all other fluids and greasing the chassis every oil change (chassis only when needed)

When I first got the truck the first few oil changes were black tar and now it is nice and clean looking when changed. I am going to do this a couple more changes and then maybe move it to 5k intervals but I will ALWAYS change the fuel at 6k since I have seen WAY to much crap fuel in my area.
I never run it without an additive in the fuel tank as well

It has worked for me but it may not work for you or your pocketbook.

Truck is an 06 3500 DRW and pull 22 mpg out on the interstate.

When I first bought the truck on the drive home it could barely muster 16.5-17 mpg

I do this mainly because I take pride in the truck and also because I dont have the money to just go buy another truck!
Thank you very much for the details. I try and follow the same schedule even thought the computer says the oil is at 70% like right now even though I changed my oil 4K miles ago (it was a 5K oil). I do it for the same reasons - I love this truck and I don't have money to buy a new one :)

If you don't mind, which fuel additive do you use? I may try one too. Anything I need to worry about when starting to use it?

Thanks!
Ognen

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think most of them seem to work well. I happen to sell the power service stuff at the shop so that is all I have run but I am a definite believer since I monitored the injector balance rates before and during the cleaning and now. They were a little off (not bad just a little bit off) now they are spot on perfect and the truck runs smoother and just all around better on the stuff. I run the cetane booster blend not the 911 stuff since it never gets that cold around my area.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Being in Florida the severe service intervals apply. If it hasn't been done you need to do the front and rear axle service and transfer case service. External trans filter should be done every 25k. Check steering fluid color and if dark brown change it. Shocks at this point are most likely useless. Replace them. I can guarantee the front jounce bumpers are gone from deterioration. Replace with bolt in poly ones from advanced auto. They don't fall apart. Check belt for cracks and wear.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i do oil change every 5,000 fuel filter every 10,000. go ahead and change all the tranny fuild and might as well change the trans fer case fuild too
. you can use the hoot method it works great, i just did mine.
also use the real allsion filter for the interal and exteral. then just change the spin on filter every 30,000.
You shoudl also change the diff fuild front and back, im fixing to change my brake fuild and hydroboost fuild.

most of the methods to change the fuilds in your truck can be found on here.

I also only use amsoil products mr.manners can help with that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just picked up my truck at 133xxxkm's. I am going to take mine in and get all done. So I know exactly when everything was done. This is my first diesel as well!

What kind of fuel conditioners you guys running? I am running Howes right now.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts

When I first got the truck the first few oil changes were black tar and now it is nice and clean looking when changedI myself have a strict maint. schedule that I follow to the mile.
oil every 3k
fuel every 6k
trans filter every 6k
Oil + filter every 10k-12k miles ( Moibil 1 5w/40 & 303 filter)
Fuel every 20k miles ( I'm lucky to have clean diesel in my area and use Silver bottle Diesel Kleen)
Trans filter every 10k-12k ( I only OEM Allison...Dont throw the magnet away!)
Trans drain and refil every 50k (Internal filter every 100k) Amsoil Torque Drive)
Drain and refill t-case every 20k miles ( Mobil 1 0w/20 engine oil. Silent and zero vibrations)
Hydroboost system 10k-12kmiles ( Suck resevoir empty and refill)
Front and Rear Diff every 50k miles ( Mobil 1 75w/90)

My truck drives better than all my friends, and has 175k miles on it.

Runs like a top....You dont need to be a "mechanic" to do any of this stuff.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Oil + filter every 10k-12k miles ( Moibil 1 5w/40 & 303 filter)
Fuel every 20k miles ( I'm lucky to have clean diesel in my area and use Silver bottle Diesel Kleen)
Trans filter every 10k-12k ( I only OEM Allison...Dont throw the magnet away!)
Trans drain and refil every 50k (Internal filter every 100k) Amsoil Torque Drive)
Drain and refill t-case every 20k miles ( Mobil 1 0w/20 engine oil. Silent and zero vibrations)
Hydroboost system 10k-12kmiles ( Suck resevoir empty and refill)
Front and Rear Diff every 50k miles ( Mobil 1 75w/90)

My truck drives better than all my friends, and has 175k miles on it.

Runs like a top....You dont need to be a "mechanic" to do any of this stuff.

Not to tell anyone how to maintance their truck, but i truely belive your going over board with everything but eht engine oil, i dont think you shoudl ever go more then 5000 miles on a oil change unless yoru got a bypass kit.
But thats just me

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
i truely belive your going over board with everything
This isnt a garage queen, this truck works.

The T/C holds 2 quarts. Thats $15 every 20k miles

The H/B is $4 every 12k miles

The Diffs combined are $60 every 50k miles

Trans is $100 every 50k miles.

You think this is overkill or wastefull?

How many miles are on your truck?

·
Registered
263 Posts
This isnt a garage queen, this truck works.

The T/C holds 2 quarts. Thats $15 every 20k miles

The H/B is $4 every 12k miles

The Diffs combined are $60 every 50k miles

Trans is $100 every 50k miles.

You think this is overkill or wastefull?

How many miles are on your truck?
Mine has 145 on it now. was all stock when i purchased it, same as factory.
since i have owned it i have done amsoil front to rear, motor gets rotalla

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good information here! I am new to diesel and definetly what I was thinking. I think some people put to much in mods and often fail to take care of the essentials that must be done routinely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts