Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 7569 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Can't wait to see where this goes. I love the 12 valve cummins and all cummins for that matter. The bumper has to go.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My favorite truck. The first Gen Cummins.

If u upgrade the turbo get a hx35/40 hybrid. Simple and put you in yr power range with quick spool and gd towing..(had one and loved it, great mpg also)
If you can Do a p-pump swap,most reliable pump ever. Brakes are crappy even if rebuilt, do a ford caliper swap off of a obs 3/4 ton. They make kits and are recommended if you tow. I would also Look into a gd steering kit, since the stock setup will leave u with trouble.

Sry for so many suggestions I've been planning a 1st Gen build for awhile..

·
Premium Member
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
As EO I give the green light & this build is DOT approved!

Big Don, I need several questions answered?

1) Do the front and rear yokes both sport those flimsy stamped straps to hold the u-joint in place?

2) It does have dumb rear drum brakes correct?

3) What T-case is it sporting?

4) Rear springs have u-bolts pointed down?

& about that front bumper........ Did the former owner get drunk & run over some farmers poor pasture gate? I suppose he then passed out only to wake up the next morning and decide they should just weld it in place because they figured that truck was already ugly and the gate just added character? Sorry, only logical explanation I could come up with.
Cool, Shawn!
BTW Executive officer is XO not EO...movin' on
I'll check out the yokes next time I get up there.
We checked all the U-joints and found all of them to be good. There is a tiny bit of plan on the output to the rear driveshaft from the transfer case. We plan to fix that
I think it is a NP205, but don't hold me to that...
Rear springs do have the bolts facing down
and
the factory lift block and another 5" iron block on top of that. U-bolts are long and skinny...definitely going to do some work in there replacing spindly stuff.

Copy that on the front bumper...Hey, Rural Kentucky, what else can I say. I think I'll sell it for scrap...should be able to finance the new tires and wheels with what I get.
I think that is like iron pipe or something. The bottom half is 6" pipe that is thicker than 1/4"!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll bet that bumper weighs more than 600 pounds!:)

·
Premium Member
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My favorite truck. The first Gen Cummins.

If u upgrade the turbo get a hx35/40 hybrid. Simple and put you in yr power range with quick spool and gd towing..(had one and loved it, great mpg also)
If you can Do a p-pump swap,most reliable pump ever. Brakes are crappy even if rebuilt, do a ford caliper swap off of a obs 3/4 ton. They make kits and are recommended if you tow. I would also Look into a gd steering kit, since the stock setup will leave u with trouble.

Sry for so many suggestions I've been planning a 1st Gen build for awhile..
Thanks for the suggestions
When it comes to 6BT stuff, I'll definitely reach out to folks in the know. The whole thing is just going to be the opposite of outlandish. I think there is beauty in keeping things "Sane" so suggestions like using the HX-35 are the sorts of things I am keying on. Right now I don't plan to P-Pump but build the VE pump which is very reliable and easily capable of delivering me to my 400 horsepower planned power level.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can't wait to see where this goes. Should be another great build. DOT approved for sure!

·
Premium Member
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So, although it's early in this build here's how this thing is shaping up:

First, it is unsafe to drive, so all of that is getting fixed at Roy's shop before I take it home.
That includes
Borgensen steering shaft
Replace all tie rods
Replace the rubber brake lines
Replace the calipers/rotors/brakes
Fix the transfer case output wobble
Top off fluids
pull the hubs, and repack all front wheel bearings, clean everything and reassemble
Install 4 new tires and wheels, 17 X 9 and 33"-12.50/R17 tires

Then drive it to my house
Then
Replace all fluids
Replace all rubber hoses, belts and lines under the hood
Remove that hideous bumper
Remove all lights, switches, wires, relays and everything that dodge didn't put on there
Do a massive cleaning/pressure washing, steaming/chem soak to get it clean
Remove the interior and clean and replace
Do something with the suspension
It needs 4 springs and 4 shocks
Then...???

The thing is, I need all of that done before I cut the D-Max apart because this truck is actually going to be my transportation while I build the 2011 truck...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Very cool project! I'm all about the survival builds. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and learning along the way.

·
Registered
349 Posts
wait...cut the dmax apart? why? its so lovely,,your referring to stuffing the SAS in there correct?

·
Registered
125 Posts
by my kill count i read: 3 vw bugs, 2 pt cruisers, 2 honda crx's, 2 dodge vipers and 2 ford explorers......impressive!!!
I count 3 Exploders. The pair of vipers alone are quite the achievement.

With a bumper like that I'm surprised the previous owner didn't shoot for more worthy targets... Like Semi-trucks or locomotives....

On the topic at hand. I say go with compounds on the cummins, more efficiency, ie, mpg, and if one fails, you still have another!
Also, if you for some reason haven't check out Diesel Power mag's "project Rust Bucket" I think it currently holds the record for the highest HP VE pumped cummins. And it's daily driven too. 2wd reg cab, Short box that gets 27mpg. Go with a similar setup and 20mpg should be plenty easy.

And I would swap in a NV4500. Get overdrive, and much more reliability. Probably cheaper than building the 47RE(I think that was the first gen auto, right?) anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I count 3 Exploders. The pair of vipers alone are quite the achievement.

With a bumper like that I'm surprised the previous owner didn't shoot for more worthy targets... Like Semi-trucks or locomotives....
Ya know, when I was looking at those silhouettes, I was thinking one of then was a suburban!
Pretty noble undertaking I'd say for a 6,000 pound truck!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Nossir, that's what's left over from the vinyl strip that used to be there.

One does not simply "Sir" the Sarge...:cookoo[1]:

After I asked that question I relooked and came to that conclusion but decided to see if I was right or not.

·
Registered
551 Posts
when you do your pump make sure to put some 3k or 4k kit in there to rev it up a little more.. i can get you a link for the ford caliper swap if you are interested in that also.. pretty much you swap knuckles and all from a ford onto your dana 60.. 4 piston calipers are very nice for stopping these trucks!!!

·
Premium Member
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
when you do your pump make sure to put some 3k or 4k kit in there to rev it up a little more.. i can get you a link for the ford caliper swap if you are interested in that also.. pretty much you swap knuckles and all from a ford onto your dana 60.. 4 piston calipers are very nice for stopping these trucks!!!
I'd like that link
Performance Off Road has the truck for the steering repair...That's where I bought it. One of their customers gave up on having it redone and it was right place/right time situation for me.
I mention all that because Roy who owns that shop probably has the Ford Knuckles and Calipers laying around there...

Good idea!

·
Premium Member
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
One does not simply "Sir" the Sarge...:cookoo[1]:

After I asked that question I relooked and came to that conclusion but decided to see if I was right or not.
There is a small dent on the right side of the bed and that's about all the damage I saw...but I'm sure I'll find more.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Def. do a snorkel kit. There's no worse feeling getting something the way you want it and a little bit of water to fuck it up.

21 - 40 of 7569 Posts