Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right Guys. I just modded my dash by installing a 120 volt outlet in the dash!
I bought a new inverter, opened the case, and cut the power wires next to the outlet. I then cut the wires to the switch and indicator lights carefully marking them for the light color (RED or GREEN,) in the middle leaving plenty of space to work with. I soldered on extension wires to the ones in the inverter using appropriate gauge wire.
I took the dash apart and found a good location for the outlet, and fabricated a piece of sheet metal to mount the switch, indicator lights, and outlet. II ran my wires, Soldered everything back together, and I used a bunch of heat shrink tubing throughout the process.
I put all the panels back together and now I have 120 volt live outlet in the cab of my truck and it almost looks professional!
:drink:drink

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30642726&id=1138972639[
/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30642727&id=1138972639

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
ahh i wish i could see the pics here at work....seems like an interesting project so you wouldn't have to use up your lighter plugs for a power converter.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me know and I will email you the pics!

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
thanks Ray!! That looks awesome man and useful as hell.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Sounds like a good idea would you mind emailing me pics?

[email protected]

would like to see this! thanks :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pics are on their way!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Ray looks very proffesional Great work!

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
for everyone else that wants to see.

Attachments

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
and some more

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
WOW, very nice work.... I have a 400watt inverter that I use in my truck but didnt think to make it permanent like that. Great idea, may have to steal it if you dont mind :neener ....

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jmaz268 Thanks for posting the pics!

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Thats a pretty sweet setup!! Nice work!

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
basically just removed the front panel of the inverter and soldered long leads to run the plugs/lights to whereever his heart contended.

I may do this after my long trip next month and put a weather safe plug in the bed for those camping trips that require power.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK guys; I pulled out the inverter, added quick connects to both ends and replaced it all back into the truck. It is now a much more professional job. This time I also pulled the board completely out of the inverter and removed the wires from the board and soldered in new wires the proper length. The inverter is 100% reliable now. I also used it to power a buffer when waxing the truck the other day...:rockin

·
Registered
418 Posts
Pretty slick,

When I did mine I opted to put an outlet in the side of the console, B pillar and bed.

Side of console near passenger seat

B-pillar

Bed

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.