Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 12-13K on it & they are almost smooth. Weighs in at 14+ has 11500 on the trailer axles.
Trying to decide what to put on, I'd like something to give a couple years of service.
It had load range F now. Would I get more life from a G rated? 235/80/16 is the size now.
I have about 800 miles to home, hope I get there:smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
There's tons of guys on here with campers, myself included, but you might have better luck with GOOD advice on a camper forum or FB group. That being said, I've heard of lots of guys having good wear with sailun especially for the price

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts
you need to give your trailer some attention check your suspension bushings, they are made of plastic .they wear out. I have had 2 5th wheel trailers ,both had tire wear problems the bushings on both were worn out ,which causes tires to wear prematurely.These bushing work for your aliment worn bushing worn tires . On both of my trailers I put a suspension upgrade kit included brass bushings that you grease. First trailer had 10,000 on tires were worn out , second had 13,000 12 ply tires. Secret to replacing bushings and reassembly is to back off u bolts loose everything just assembles well then them tighten bolts up , no more tire issues. This kit has the brass bushings with the pins with a grease nipple on them ,now more problems .

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would definitely go G rated. I have heard good things about Sailuns as well. But regardless of brand I’d go G rated. Wouldn’t hurt to check suspension components as mentioned also...

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
I just ordered Sailuns for my Raptor.

They get incredible reviews on the Keystone forum and when compared to the Goodyear and Michelin tires, the prices can't be beat. And, it certainly doesn't hurt to have a 14 ply tire on a heavy 5vr.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should add the suspension has been upgraded to a Morryde IS about 3-4000 miles ago. Hope fully the alignment is good.

·
Finally! Wheels on!
8,881 Posts
That front tire in the photo look like its wearing on the inside which is a sign of alignment issues.

One simple check is take the wheels off and measure with a string from the hub to the center of the front frame crossmember. Both sides should be darn close.

I only run the Goodyear G614s. They are expensive but worth it IMO when your family’s safety is involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
I pull a Montana high country. Just put on sailun before we headed to the beach. You will not be sorry. They made a nice difference in ride and sway.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Anyone know if it's true that sailrun tires have no warranty whatsoever in the usa?

·
Registered
214 Posts
14 ply is the only way to go, less sidewall flexing when burning uturns etc,also most 14ply tires are steel ply on tread and sidewalls,ride a little ruff but that insurance is well worth it .

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2 Posts
38ft sooner , 4 horse w/LQ ...replaced the 16" Goodyear with 19.5" commercial tire from boar wheel . No comparison....will go with the 19.5" tires on all my existing and future trailers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm on my 3rd 5th wheel, and have accumulated a lot of miles over the years. You're wear rate is atypical. Start by ensuring your alignment is correct, and upgrade your suspension with heavy duty shackles and a wet bolt kit. The only tires I've never had trouble with are the Goodyear G614 RSTs, load range G, that I'm running now. I monitor tire pressure and temperature with a TPMS system.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm on my 3rd 5th wheel, and have accumulated a lot of miles over the years. You're wear rate is atypical. Start by ensuring your alignment is correct, and upgrade your suspension with heavy duty shackles and a wet bolt kit. The only tires I've never had trouble with are the Goodyear G614 RSTs, load range G, that I'm running now. I monitor tire pressure and temperature with a TPMS system.
Well that's the thing.:frown2: I came back from Elkhart 2 months ago where I got a IS suspension. Should have been lined up good, but after putting a straight edge on the tires it looks like 1 rear is towed out about an 1/8 & opposite front is towed out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have a 37' Cedar Creek and have always ran G rated Goodyear tires on it. Got 6 yrs on the first ones and four on the set we have now with not much wear at all. We did have to put new leaf springs and new shocks on it about a month ago. It is a 2005 5th wheel.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We have a 37' Cedar Creek and have always ran G rated Goodyear tires on it. Got 6 yrs on the first ones and four on the set we have now with not much wear at all. We did have to put new leaf springs and new shocks on it about a month ago. It is a 2005 5th wheel.
Mine is a year old picked it up last April. What's the Cedar Creek weigh? Mine is 14K plus.

·
Registered
26 Posts
First off I'm positve those tires were made in China. Second if u google Sailum Chinese made tires u will find lots of evidence they r also junk. There's more than 1 reason they're so cheap. Buy the Goodyears or look at the Bridgestone s which I have on my 14k 5r. 5k miles and they look brand new. Always, always check cold tire pressure before any trip. Remember that the rv industry now is owned by very few corporations. Most of the quality manufactors went bankrupt in 08 crash. So everything is geared to make rvs as cheap and light as possible. Lippart now makes 90% of all the frames, suspension systems and axles. Their business model is to work with rv industry to make everything cheaper and lighter. Now take in fact that rvs take a large amount of seasonal workers to assemble unlike the auto industry. So what I'm saying is there's no way an rv can have a correct alignment from the factory. Even if it's close parts will "move" under the heavy weights. Without a proper alignment you r really dragging the tires sideways down the highway. Then we won't even think that the rv tires were never balanced!! No u don't feel in the seat of your truck but your rv tires are merrily skipping down the highway leaving rubber behind. My family's life and possibly others plus $100k of truck and trailer is not worth trying to save a couple hundred bucks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts