Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got in my truck for the first time picking it up at the dealer for a test drive / shake down run I noticed on the DIC that it had 13 HOURS and 28 miles on the truck. When I asked my salesman he said that was average for all delivered Duramax trucks, Really?

Why do they leave it idle so long, supposedly that's not good on the new Clean Diesel motors? Ironically at 50 miles on my truck (just after I got it home) it kicked into a REGEN cycle. Obviously due to the idle time before delivery.

Now after 6 months and 4500 miles it's driven only on trips no shorter than 30 miles at about 60mph and it's Never had another regen cycle.

Anyone know WHY they let these new trucks idle for so long before

·
Registered
157 Posts
Haha no, if it really hasnt regened in 4500 miles, there is/already is going to be a problem, I highly doubt it hasnt regened for that long. Do you have some sort of way to track it like an edge insight or something? Also I would not say 13 hours of idling is normal for brand new trucks, I would honestly be concerned about how that engine is doing internally, that much idling on a brand new diesel engine may mean that the rings dont seat correctly, and your truck burns a significant amount of oil its whole life. The only thing I can think of is that those hours might have come from dyno testing at the factory??? 13 hours though is a significant amount for a truck that has 28 miles on it. I would not have purchased that truck, hopefully it is ok, just watch the oil level, I would be most concerned that it may be burning oil. I would also change the oil ASAP, because if it really idled for that long as a new engine, I would be willing to bet that the oil is very diluted with fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3 Posts
While I'm a big believer of breaking motors in hard or under a load, yours will be fine. I wouldn't worry at all. Also it has definitely done multiple regens in 4500 miles

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
When I got in my truck for the first time picking it up at the dealer for a test drive / shake down run I noticed on the DIC that it had 13 HOURS and 28 miles on the truck. When I asked my salesman he said that was average for all delivered Duramax trucks, Really?

Why do they leave it idle so long, supposedly that's not good on the new Clean Diesel motors? Ironically at 50 miles on my truck (just after I got it home) it kicked into a REGEN cycle. Obviously due to the idle time before delivery.

Now after 6 months and 4500 miles it's driven only on trips no shorter than 30 miles at about 60mph and it's Never had another regen cycle.

Anyone know WHY they let these new trucks idle for so long before
Are you saying it gave a 'keep driving' message at 50 miles?

Normal regens will not give any message -- and as others posted, it will have done a bunch of them by 4500 miles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it did I don't recall that it said "50 miles" but it said "Regen...Keep Driving" seems like the message dropped after about 30 highway miles, I was Very surprised. My wife was with me and said, "These Diesels aren't going to ask you to do THIS every 50 miles are they." I told her I believed it was because of the apparently long time it spent between my dealership and the Factory Idling (crazy 13 Hrs!). Interesting that' I've never seen another one since and I've got 4619 miles on the truck now but it spends very little time idling and very little time with any city driving/stoplight to stoplight.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both yes, It regened at 50 Miles and I now have 4619 on the truck and it's not had another one. I do mostly highway driving, very little stoplight to stoplight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Yes I thought it was excessive as well. Seems to be running great, I appreciate the input. I'll be taking it in at 5k to get the oil changed and tires rotated. I don't know if this matters but I was told when I ordered it back in May that it was the 4 "customer ordered 2019 3500HD Crew Cab for the new model year so maybe they did additional testing or something? It was built on 6/25/19

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So It Doesnt pop a message when it's doing a Regen? I guess I thought it would, you're probably right then. Was that message more of an "exception than the rule"?

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply, I've definitely driven it just as I normally would and my driving style is pretty aggressive. I love the Locking rear diff on this as when you accelerate hard (empty) from a rolling start the right rear slips only for maybe 1/2 tire rotation before it locks and it feels like you're getting hit in the shoulder blades with a 2x4. I love the Power, cant wait to get my 5th wheel RV next year and see how it pulls 13k lbs!!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
So It Doesnt pop a message when it's doing a Regen? I guess I thought it would, you're probably right then. Was that message more of an "exception than the rule"?

Thanks for the reply
For a normal regen it just does its thing and you won't notice it unless you're in stop and go traffic. You'll notice it's idling higher than normal. You get the message when you're driving slow with really no load and it will tell you to keep driving in order for it to perform the regen.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Yes it did I don't recall that it said "50 miles" but it said "Regen...Keep Driving" seems like the message dropped after about 30 highway miles, I was Very surprised. My wife was with me and said, "These Diesels aren't going to ask you to do THIS every 50 miles are they." I told her I believed it was because of the apparently long time it spent between my dealership and the Factory Idling (crazy 13 Hrs!). Interesting that' I've never seen another one since and I've got 4619 miles on the truck now but it spends very little time idling and very little time with any city driving/stoplight to stoplight.

Thanks for the reply!
When I meant was, when the regen occurred with 50 miles on the truck (your original post said this happened at 50 miles on odo), did it say "Keep Driving".

(not that it said to drive for 50 miles)

A 'normal' regen will not give a message.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Funny thing about those messages, I’ve got almost 25k on my 18 now and I’ve never once seen that message. I know it regens as I’ve noticed the elevated idle and smell at times, but noting on the dash. Odd?

No aftermarket dash monitor yet for me, considering the Banks setup in the future, hopefully you can monitor cycles with their idash unit. Would be nice to be able to do a manual regen before a service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ain't lookin' back
275 Posts
When I picked up my '18, it had 7 miles on it and 4 hours. I did have 2 regens almost back to back in the first 600 miles (on the drive back home). After that, I regen between 500-600 miles.

I use my EDGE Insight CTS2 to tell me when I'm in regen. Love that feature because I can adjust my route home to allow additional time to complete the regen process.

·
Registered
489 Posts
It didn't hurt it but that was a lot more idle time than what mine had however it only had 7 miles on it when I took delivery.

Outside of using a monitor there are several indications when a regen is taking place. In town you will notice a much higher idle speed when stopped in gear, a distinct smell if the windows are down, and the transmission has a different feel because of the increased idle speed when braking to a stop. If you shut it off you will hear the clinking noises of a very hot exhaust system cooling off. On the highway you will notice a distinct drop in mileage.

You will only get the message if it has tried several times but has been unable to complete a regen because the vehicle isn't spending enough time at sufficient speed to allow the cycle to complete.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes youre correct, my bad on the read. I was at 50 miles on the ODO and it said "Keep Driving..." I assumed this is what it should do everytime a regen occurs but apparently that's not true. This is my first Diesel. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you, that's what I was wondering. I'm a first time diesel owner and still learning... LOVE the Truck, it's AWESOME!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Thanks I'll be taking it in at 5k to get the oil changed and tires rotated.
I've lost count of the horror storied posted about going in for the "free" oil change, and leaving with dents, bent mirrors, loose filters, loose drainplugs, wrong oil, wrong oil level, stained seats, loose lugnuts .... etc..etc...

The guy doing the "free servicing" is the lowest paid guy on the lot. You really want this guy touching your $60k truck?

If you cant change it yourself, for whatever reason... you need to make it real clear to the service manager BEFORE they touch your truck, that you want one of the line guys, to do it.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Funny thing about those messages, I’ve got almost 25k on my 18 now and I’ve never once seen that message. I know it regens as I’ve noticed the elevated idle and smell at times, but noting on the dash. Odd?

No aftermarket dash monitor yet for me, considering the Banks setup in the future, hopefully you can monitor cycles with their idash unit. Would be nice to be able to do a manual regen before a service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most will NEVER see any message.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts