Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 LBZ which at 1300 rpm makes a hissiing/sucking sound.
It does not make the sound at 1350 or above or at 1250 and below.
I had it in to GM and they replace a tube which I couldn't get a description on and that was supposed to fix it. Well no fix and sound still present.
One of the technicians claimed it was not harmful to the turbo and it was a spooling sound. it sounds almost metal. but no trouble with performance and the vehicle doesn't smoe nor does it use a lot of fuel.
I have a Diablosprt on the engine set at 85 HP tune.
Any ideas?

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
You will be told to fill out your sig. I'll say it now so you wont be badgered to do it later. The hissing sounds like your turbo. The vanes must be changing position making a hissing or jet engine type sound. It's normal. If any one else has any ideas I'm sure they'll chime in

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fill out my sig?? at the risk sounding silly i am not sure what you are talking about.

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
See the info about my truck under my post, thats a sig (signature for short). On the left of the page you will see a box that says navigation. go to the heading "user CP" Scroll down it will be on the left hand side under settings "Edit signature" go in an put all the info about your truck. take mine for example. year, body style, upgrade, color etc

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
OK I edited my Sig....
Now back to my question any takers I sure would like some helpe
The sound is quite prominent at times and didnt start until about a year ago.
At first I thought it was the heater/AC motor. I had that replaced but noise still prevails.

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
its just your turbo the LBZ's like all newer models have a variable geometry turbo with vanes thet open and close...they are closed at idle making the hiss sound they all do it unless you tune it to open the vanes some at idle (which takes an edge or efilive)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
does it sound kind of like a jet?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It Does not Sound like a Jet more like a sucking grinding squeaky kind of sound. Its been doing this for about 8 months or so now and no engine damagor turbo failure has occured.
Oil is Clean and Not poerformance loss.
Just this annoying sound at 1300 rpm

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I disconnected the DiableSport Tuner and test drove it the sound is still there and as before only at 1300 RPM. It is quite noticeable.
Any takers?

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I have similar sounds at 1300 rpm. the best way i can describe mine is it sounds like a few pennies in a glass jar that is muffled. if you can try to imagine it. i have had other people try to hear it and it takes a bit of driving to hear it. it also makes a similar sound when i shut it down. im not sure if this is the same problem going on but it drives me nuts, so i tend to get worse MPG to avoid the sound. haha any thoughts or help would be great. i was thinking it might be a belt or pulley maybe a barring. i also have pretty bad vibrations felt in the cab at idle in park and drive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I replaced my Idler pulleys as well as the tensioner. Thinking this was my problem with the noise, but the noise remains. Always consistent 1300 rpm only at about 20 - 40 mph. It is quite annoying. I have not experienced any performance issues nor any failures. To really enhance the noise driving in an alley or alongside a hiway barrier really make it audible.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have that very same noise in my 06 LBZ
have been all over my truck trying to find
it... Glad i am not the only one. But it is
realy annoying:confused:
By the way great site I have been doing
a ton of reading, this is my first post.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I believe I have this sound as well seems very noticable at shutdown of the truck. Similar switching noises at idle too. I have a 07 LBZ.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
More to add. The sound I get at 1300 rpm is never heard when the engine is cold but (could be due to engine being louder trying to warm up) once it gets warm and I baby it for the mpg it is brutal. I can hear it best when shifting 1-2 and 2-3 being gentle. It's definatly a muffled quick rattle. I have vibration in the cab ( may not be related) and can hear a similar sound while in park at idle or in drive but seems to away when I let of the break to go. Still have no clue where tho. I tried having the wife rev to 1300 in park. No luck with that.
I'm desperate for a fix on this one guys. Losing sleep. Could this be a TQ issue?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont experiance any vibration...ever. But yes it is only present after the engine is warm. I tried it with the belt off and it is still present. Same paramters, 1300 rpm ... 20 - 40 mph. I don't get the sound at idle though nor at shutdown.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have noise that sounds like someone stretched the mouth of a ballon and letting air out slowly

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have this same sound ... WHAT IS IT !

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
i have noise that sounds like someone stretched the mouth of a ballon and letting air out slowly
Check the boot at the lower left side of the inner-cooler and might as well check all others. They get loose and let boost excape. Also check for wear hole in the boost tube at the PS hose-- the hose may contact the boost tube and wear hole.

Also-- at the top of the forum-- click on user and fill out your information in the signature-- No one knows what you drive-- but YOU! It helps when you ask a question. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Check the boot at the lower left side of the inner-cooler and might as well check all others. They get loose and let boost excape. Also check for wear hole in the boost tube at the PS hose-- the hose may contact the boost tube and wear hole.

Also-- at the top of the forum-- click on user and fill out your information in the signature-- No one knows what you drive-- but YOU! It helps when you ask a question. :D
I tried the usercp options and have the signature filled out and the box checked, but it wont show up.
any ideas

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tried the usercp options and have the signature filled out and the box checked, but it wont show up.
any ideas
well look at that now it works

1 - 20 of 30 Posts