Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting the socal 14mm head studs and wondering if the drilling and tapping is something safe i could do myself? Im not a novice in engines and know a fair amount. Just need a yay or nay and some tips to doing it. Motor is sitting in the truck so i would have to use a magnetized drill bit obviously and be careful. Heads are not on motor. I do not want arp studs unless i absolutely have to. Just dont like them and knowing there is something better thats what im after. Thanks!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not like arps. And seeing as socals are half the price and stronger, i prefer that route. That and im going for some wicked hp

·
Registered
434 Posts
What happen with you and arp. I've used there bolts in everything and never had issues.

·
BANNED
789 Posts
Why dont you like ARPs???

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive broken lots of arps. And have broken stronger stuff too

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
dude you obviously do not understand what it taked to put 14mm studs in the block lmao good luck , your gonna need it . by the way who you think makes those 14mm studs ??? socal ???? do some research

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didnt ask for a bunch of bs. I asked an honest question for an honest answer! Its not your effing motor or time is it? I know what i want for my use and taste. All you had to do was give me simple its a pain in the a** or its not too bad, heres some tips or whatever. Not criticism bs. I dont criticize the way any of you have your motors and tell you how to do it do i? I will offer respectful insight at any time asked, but never criticize. I want my stuff my way because i know how i am and how abusive i can be to an engine.

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
I didnt ask for a bunch of bs. I asked an honest question for an honest answer! Its not your effing motor or time is it? I know what i want for my use and taste. All you had to do was give me simple its a pain in the a** or its not too bad, heres some tips or whatever. Not criticism bs. I dont criticize the way any of you have your motors and tell you how to do it do i? I will offer respectful insight at any time asked, but never criticize. I want my stuff my way because i know how i am and how abusive i can be to an engine.
take a chill pill dude damn Heyyaa didnt mean to hit a nerve :poke[1]:

you wanna anwser ?? you dont need them :rolleyes: those studs will not help you in any shape or form keep your motor together , no more than the regular arp's.

futhermore , you have to take it to a machine shop for those to be put in , you gonna diassemble the engine there bud ??
dont come on here and ask dumbass questions and you wont get smartass anwsers!!! do some research before asking:drink but i guess you already know that since your a novice and good at motors and such:rolleyes:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To your answer, yes i can disassemble it. Its already half disassembled. I build plenty of diesels, just never done the socal 14s. I have more than enough equipment to do this if its not something that is absolutely required to be done by a machine shop. And it was not a dumba** question. It was an honest question for an honest answer. No smarta** remarks necessary!

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
okay bud , have at it , get out your black and decker drill and assorted bits and have at it. i'm done

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yea man 14 IMHO is not worth the time for a street truck/ dd. You have to remmber there are 18 bolts/studs that hold the head on. Unless you plan on doing major over haul and use the truck for trucks pulls with ungodly power you don't need them. Just stuck with 12mm.

By the way what arp studs have you broken?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plenty of 425s, 625s and a few sets of the custom aged 625s. On powerstrokes and cummins' ive broken all of the above and h11s

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This motor, none. Just picked it up a few weeks ago and in the process of installing it in my ford and converting it from lb7 to lbz. But since ya'all are a bunch off a**holes and want to treat people like s*** im not going to waste my time with ya'all anymore. I dont have the time or patience for bulls*** when i have too much to do. Ill jus take my honest questions to a more respectful group who doesnt think they are better than others. I didnt get to where i am by being a f***in punk all my life. Ive been a machinist, served as infantry and a diesel mechanic and built motors for 14+ years. I aint yer run a the mill flat biller mommy and daddy bought me things. I buy and do EVERYTHING myself!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
This site is very helpful. You just have to take it with a grain of salt. Saying you've been in the military you should have a little thicker skin. There are all kinds of Dmax owners on this site. To each there own. If you want different studs, do it man. Put up some pics of it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you wisconsinmax. It just gets effin old dealing with stuck up pr*cks! Im on a lot of other forums and the people over there are far better and more helpful. Dont treat ya like your a know nothing pos and actually try to help you!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts