Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debating throwing a light bar in front of the trans cooler and was curious if anyone had done this yet on a 15+. Measured it out a 18" wide by 4" tall by 3" deep would be ideal but having a hard time finding a bar in those sizes or close to it.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
There's some people on here that have done it, but all the ones I have seen have had to trim the black plastic on both sides of the trans cooler opening.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's some people on here that have done it, but all the ones I have seen have had to trim the black plastic on both sides of the trans cooler opening.
Have to do some searching. Measuring the opening being that it is 20" I figured I could get an 18" in there pretty easily and fab my own bracket

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Some that have covered much of the opening in earlier versions have found that the trans then ran hot.

Of course it depends on how the truck is being used.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some that have covered much of the opening in earlier versions have found that the trans then ran hot.

Of course it depends on how the truck is being used.
I've wondered about that. The opening is a bit larger on the new ones was should have about 2" above and 2" below to still allow air flow. Figured it would be a trial and error

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cut the grill and did a 30" on my 15' it was fairly simple and I plan to do the same on my 16'
I have the black trex upper with black hardware and lower set up on the way, the lower portion of the grill set up has 2 12" bars in it. Plan was to add the lower center in to complement the two 12"s

·
Registered
84 Posts
I did it on my 2011 GMC with a 20" OSRam LED bar in the bumper opening (in front of the trans cooler). I haven't experienced any issues and I've watched the trans temperature however ... I haven't towed anything with it yet! I made my own bracket but I think you can buy some online.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I put a 12 inch curved totron light bar in the bumper of mine and it hasn't affected my trans temperature at all yet, might be different in the summer time when I'm hooked up to my camper though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I have seen pictures of a 20" in there but I don't remember where I saw it. They trimmed the black on both sides some to fit the bar but it didn't look bad at all. I did like JC09Dmax did and played it safe with a 12" in front of the tranny cooler. I've towed in the heat of the summer with it and haven't seen the trans temps affected by it at all.

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
This isn't my truck, but an example of the light bar and how I want to install it in the bumper of my truck. This is the only one I've seen done with the total width of the opening by removing the plastic inserts completely and looks bad ass IMO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That is most definitely bad ass looking

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks awesome. Think I found my new favorite. Didn't think about removing the plastics around completely

·
Registered
607 Posts
This isn't my truck, but an example of the light bar and how I want to install it in the bumper of my truck. This is the only one I've seen done with the total width of the opening by removing the plastic inserts completely and looks bad ass IMO.

That's what I want to do to mine as well, I saw this on Cognito's FB last fall. It'll def. be a custom job and you'll have to do something with the two front middle parking sensors if you have them like me. The two plastic pieces have chrome behind them, so that'll have to be cut out as well. I wonder what size and make LB that is?

Example with lots of PICS of what would have to be removed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just have the two on the sides none in the middle as far as parking sensors. Trimming the bumper out would be easy

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
you might want to look closer, the two black trim pieces on mine have parking sensors...they're kind of hard to see unless you look closely.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you might want to look closer, the two black trim pieces on mine have parking sensors...they're kind of hard to see unless you look closely.
you are correct, could probably relocate them down in the plastic beside the tow hook/ license plate bracket

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
you are correct, could probably relocate them down in the plastic beside the tow hook/ license plate bracket
That's what I was thinking as long as the wiring is long enough, or if there's enough wiring to play with to wire in the extra length if needed. I'm really digging that look ha

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's what I want to do to mine as well, I saw this on Cognito's FB last fall. It'll def. be a custom job and you'll have to do something with the two front middle parking sensors if you have them like me. The two plastic pieces have chrome behind them, so that'll have to be cut out as well. I wonder what size and make LB that is?

Example with lots of PICS of what would have to be removed.
I just have the two on the sides none in the middle as far as parking sensors. Trimming the bumper out would be easy
I haven't taken any measurements yet, but depending on the overall mounting width of the light bar, you might be able to make two horizontal cuts on those pieces, trim and bend it back 90*, mark and drill the mounting hole for the side mount of the light bar, with out using the mounting feet that come with the light bar. *Possibly* just speculating here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts