Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a new 15 silverado duramax.
drove the truck from TX (where i purchased) to NYC and broke the truck in the initial 500 took it a bit easy and and then the whole trip was 2000. The truck drove non-stop from NY to TX varying acceleration etc.. I decided to swap the spin-off tranny filter, and top off, and replace the fluid. As with a gas rig i deceided after 2K miles to get rid of stock oil, and refresh. I went with the 5w-40 turbo diesel from mobil 1.....all is good, however a friend of mine is saying that i should have at least waited till 12K or 10K miles before swapping to synthetic.....did i do something wrong??

I was checking the royal purple site on their 15-40, and they are recommending the same...does this have to do with the engine break in as i heard diesels take longer to break in....this is my first new truck ,and first diesel, and i dont want to mess anything up.

I was going to do 3K miles on this oil, and then allow the dealer to do the oil changes,....as they will do 4 of them for the first two years.
Now i am wondering if i should have even bothered at this point. Here is the royal purple note:

http://www.royalpurple.com/blog/royal-purple-faqs/

I mean i have not driven it much since the 2K trip, about 300 miles on the synthetic.....and would easily replace it with the DELO 400 or similar if you guys think it is necessary.

Advice greatly appreciated. I know i sound like an idiot, but i really have no exp with diesels.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
You're fine. Don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
You are fine as said above. Corvette and North Star engines come from the factory with Synthetic oil in them so that means all break in is done on syn oil. If you want to buy Amsoil at wholesale let me know we can get you hooked up. :thumb

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
You are fine, but those included oil changes from the dealer will not be synthetic. Just run 15W40 until your free changes are up and then run the 5W40 syn if you choose. Shell Rotella T and T6 are good. The ACDelco oil that the dealer uses is made by Shell anyway.

Reactions: Spahi77

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
arent all the new trucks synthetic anyway? the first oil has all the breaking additives in it from assembly, so it has more zinc and other anti wear additives to aid in break in, i would guess though your fine, especially given you seem to do meticulous maintenance. i would not worry about it.

edit never mind i guess there not. strange they switched all the gas truck to synthetic but not the diesels.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Dmax factory fill is conventional 15w-40.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just found this offer and looks like i will be buying two pails of Delvac 1 esp to have on hand as oil will stay, plus $60 rebate up to two pails is a great deal....i will be getting from Amazon....any guys in here have suggestions on Oil Filters....?? I did about 45K in 8 years on my last truck, and change oils about every 4K sometimes longer to 6K if things get too busy...

https://apfco.net/secure/R8236W/Home/Terms

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Just use ACDelco filters and change the oil when the DIC indicates.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do...

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Just found this offer and looks like i will be buying two pails of Delvac 1 esp to have on hand as oil will stay, plus $60 rebate up to two pails is a great deal....i will be getting from Amazon....any guys in here have suggestions on Oil Filters....?? I did about 45K in 8 years on my last truck, and change oils about every 4K sometimes longer to 6K if things get too busy...

https://apfco.net/secure/R8236W/Home/Terms
AC Delco or Mobil 1 oil filter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.