Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. My deleted 2011 LML is just over 148,000 miles. We'll be heading out on a 5-month trip in a couple months towing a 12,000# 5th wheel and wanted to get some advice on service items to be accomplished before we depart. The items I have so far include

Oil Change
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Serpentine Belt
Coolant Flush
Brake Fluid Change
Power Steering Fluid Change

Should I change out the belt pulleys and tensioner? No unusual sounds currently and the current belt looks good. The transmission, transfer case and differentials were serviced about 5000 miles ago. What else am I missing?

The truck runs like a champ. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
At 150,000 or so most would recommend that while you are in there to change the serpentine belt you also change the two idler pulleys, tensioner pulley, Fan clutch and water pump.

While you are at it, the upper and lower radiator hoses. You are already doing the coolant.

All this would prevent either doing the work over to gain access if you are doing it yourself or paying someone else twice.

Usually the first symptom will be a slow loss of coolant due to a leak from the WP. In order to get at it all the above will have to be removed anyway.

The serpentine belt is really a condition replacement item so if it isn't cracked there is really no reason to change it. And IMHO if you are going to change it anyway, why not just do all this to prevent double the labor

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Cabin air filter and get an extra fuel filter to take with you. I think you have the maintenance stuff pretty well covered, I would start thinking about what you should take with you in case something comes up.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Replace your differential lube, and if 4WD, your transfer case fluid.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts

If your spending 5 months on the road... YOU and only YOU should have access to your fuel tank.

Even if you tell the wifey to go fill it up, it's another barrier against a tank full of unleaded gas ruining your trip.....

:wink2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

If your spending 5 months on the road... YOU and only YOU should have access to your fuel tank.

Even if you tell the wifey to go fill it up, it's another barrier against a tank full of unleaded gas ruining your trip.....

Is that a "been there, done that"? Ha! Can't tell you how many times that has crossed my mind!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I do carry a spare fuel filter and WIF sensor. Had a WIF sensor develop a crack a couple of years ago, fuel poured out of the sensor case housing while cranking and of course it wouldn't start. Replaced the sensor and all was fine.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Hello all. My deleted 2011 LML is just over 148,000 miles. We'll be heading out on a 5-month trip in a couple months towing a 12,000# 5th wheel and wanted to get some advice on service items to be accomplished before we depart. The items I have so far include

Oil Change
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Serpentine Belt
Coolant Flush
Brake Fluid Change
Power Steering Fluid Change

Should I change out the belt pulleys and tensioner? No unusual sounds currently and the current belt looks good. The transmission, transfer case and differentials were serviced about 5000 miles ago. What else am I missing?

The truck runs like a champ. Thanks in advance!

it kind of depends what you have already done, i dont personally follow the factory schedule to a T, some things i do early, some things i let go a little longer as needed. The easy answer is to do what it says in the manual for that mileage interval, however that's assuming you already follow that schedule. were it me, and i was going on a trip id do everything you said, and add transmission and differential service to the list as well (filters and fluids). Id also jack the front end up and check the steering for wear. If your changing the belt, i would change the idlers and tensioner, not big bucks and if the belts worn, they probably are too. Might even be worth replacing U joints depending on how long its been. There cheap, but a failure will really put a kink in your plans.

pro tip, get the wife a diesel also so theres no chance of mixups :grin2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it kind of depends what you have already done, i dont personally follow the factory schedule to a T, some things i do early, some things i let go a little longer as needed. The easy answer is to do what it says in the manual for that mileage interval, however that's assuming you already follow that schedule. were it me, and i was going on a trip id do everything you said, and add transmission and differential service to the list as well (filters and fluids). Id also jack the front end up and check the steering for wear. If your changing the belt, i would change the idlers and tensioner, not big bucks and if the belts worn, they probably are too. Might even be worth replacing U joints depending on how long its been. There cheap, but a failure will really put a kink in your plans.

pro tip, get the wife a diesel also so theres no chance of mixups :grin2:
Thank you, sir!

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Lube the front steering and suspension. Then check everything for wear.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Lube the front steering and suspension. Then check everything for wear.
That should be done on a fairly regular basis like every oil change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts