Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K guys n gals, my 2016 LML blew up on me while pulling my fifth wheel to a jobsite in TX. Had it towed to a local chevy dealer. They are saying it will cost $25,218 to get a new motor and have it installed. You have got to be kidding me!!! Is this for real or are they trying to screw me over cause they know I'm in a tight spot.???

·
Registered
642 Posts
You're not providing a whole lot of info. But if you do need an engine I could see a dealer charging that amount.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Driving down the highway 68 mph and lost all oil pressure. Stopped and oil pouring out from between engine and Trans. Assumed it was a rear main. They the dealer, is saying there is blow by all over the engine. Not sure what that means. But it apparently is what caused the rear main to go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Probably cracked a piston and blew the rear seal out

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,743 Posts
I wouldn't pay that much for a stock engine replacement.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,743 Posts
Where are you located in Texas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't pay that much for a stock engine replacement.

Yeah I've been doing some research and can get a complete reman. engine for like 13000 so these guys are just ridiculous.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm assuming the $25k was for a new crate engine, installed.

Local diesel shop told me recently that an L5P crate engine is over $20k. I would expect an LML to be a bit cheaper.

Be careful with remans. $13k sounds like a lot of money but when it comes to doing a proper rebuild, $13k doesn't go as far as one would think. We've all heard some real horror stories about rebuilt motors.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your misfortune. I know the feeling.

·
Registered
18,743 Posts
Id call up wright bros cuatoms. They are 3hrs+ away and could get your what you need. Its worth a call it think

·
Registered
18,743 Posts
What about Aaron at all in truck performance in Seminole texas.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I‘d look at SoCal Diesel built engines for that money, I think the whole stage 2 built long block is only $18k

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just went through replacing an lml a few months ago. A reman long block is going to run you 13k at any dealership and that’s just a long block with no accessories. As far as I know no dealer can get brand new crate lml’s anymore, they can only get GM remans. Jasper makes good engine and they will run you about 9k for a long block, I’m in San Antonio as well and there is a local shop here that will install a jasper lml for about 13k, too bad you’re stranded out there. I ended up rebuilding my lml and had a local machine shop that specializes in big rig Diesel engines rebuild my long block.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
LML part number is 12695793 . GM list price is $13,733 with a $3500 core
Labor time on a long block is about 36 hours for a 2wd and 38 hours for a 4wd.
Even if they charged 40 hours labor at $120 an hour, I can't see where all the extra of over $5k is at unless they included the core price.

·
Registered
780 Posts
They dropped the crate LML already? There's bound to still be several out there under factory warranty yet. I'd be one very unhappy camper if I had an LML blow up under warranty and got a reman engine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts