Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I friend of mine is building a airplane in his garage, one evening while consuming adult beverages the discussion turn to the idea that my friend would need a chase truck for his planes first flight. After more adult beverages and a debate about air speed vs ground speed we determined my truck will need to go 165 MPH to keep up with the plane.

In doing a little research I found this program to figure out how much HP I will need.

Calculate HP For Speed

So here are my questions

1. Does anyone know what the actual drag of a 2019 2500HD actual is ??

2. If anyone know what the actual top speed of a stock truck is ??? If I knew that I could do the math backwards and figure the drag...

3. I am assuming that HP is what limits my top speed, but tires, and gearing might also be problems ????

If this thread sound stupid please consume some adult beverages until it make sense then reply

Thanks for any input

Bullwinkle

·
Finally! Wheels on!
8,865 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Gear Vendors Overdrive

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
What’s the chances the truck would disintegrate at that speed and take you with it. :surprise:
Might just want to stick with the adult beverages and keep this idea in the hanger.
Gearing, tires, I doubt Gear Vender would do enough to help and larger than life balls.
Invest in a vehicle that’s much lighter and capable of these speeds.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Does the computer limit speed on a stock truck? I know they used to when i bought Tahoes

·
Premium Member
207 Posts

2. If anyone know what the actual top speed of a stock truck is ??? If I knew that I could do the math backwards and figure the drag...

3. I am assuming that HP is what limits my top speed, but tires, and gearing might also be problems ????

If this thread sound stupid please consume some adult beverages until it make sense then reply

Thanks for any input

Bullwinkle
1. & 2.: There are trucks that have gone that fast. Find them and see if the teams will reveal the HP.

3. You're probably looking at 1000+ HP. A gear vendors overdrive will increase top speed without gearing the diff so high it's undriveable. It will also allow you to split gears to help reach top speed.

Whether or not this thread is stupid depends on your budget. Speed is a question of money. It's not 'how fast can you go?' its 'how fast can you afford to go?'

The truck will not fly apart at that speed unless it's a rust bucket.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,274 Posts
It's been done many times...older models,
1000+hp, full roll cage,...parachute...$$$$

·
Registered
231 Posts
The truck will not fly apart at that speed unless it's a rust bucket.
Good Lord this is one of the most uniformed, unqualified statements I have ever read on here. There is virtually nothing in the drivetrain that was designed, qualified, manufactured to the tolerances to run at 165 mph. Everything from tires to driveshafts are included. Your throat your razor.

Got to ask yourself one question "do you feel lucky"? I have vehicles that are made and go faster than that --- they will not haul or pull the loads where I need them to be like my truck does. :)

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Here are just a few things to consider.

The only aircraft that i know of that requires a chase vehicle is the U2. And, because of the speed needed for the chase, only high horse power sport cars are used. And, the only reasons for the chase car is so that the chase can communicate with the pilot regarding angle of attack (AOA) and wing proximity/angle to the ground during the landing evolution due to limited exterior vision from the cockpit.

Using the 165 MPH so called requirement equates to a landing/approach speed of 145 kts which is clearly in the multi-engined/heavy aircraft arena for approach and landing. This type of speed requirement is certainly not something that could be built in one's garage unless your garage says Boeing, Airbus or Lockheed Martin on the side. :surprise:

Instead of attempting to find out if you truck will approach 165 MPH, you guys should really consider switching to a different type of adult beverage before you really get into trouble. 'uhNo

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Good Lord this is one of the most uniformed, unqualified statements I have ever read on here. There is virtually nothing in the drivetrain that was designed, qualified, manufactured to the tolerances to run at 165 mph. Everything from tires to driveshafts are included. Your throat your razor.

Got to ask yourself one question "do you feel lucky"? I have vehicles that are made and go faster than that --- they will not haul or pull the loads where I need them to be like my truck does. :)
Outrage culture much, keyboard warrior? GrrRRrr

I was referring to the cab and chassis against the air drag. The drive train, wheels, tires, etc. will have to be addressed to even get anywhere near that speed. You act like I said all he has to do is drop a 1500 HP engine in an otherwise stock truck and let 'er rip, tater chip!!! :gearjamin

Seeing as how he could have gotten all this done by the end of the weekend, It's a good thing you called me out for being "uniformed". You probably saved lives today! notworthy

Well, in all fairness, I just got home from work so technically, I am still "uniformed" :teehee

·
Registered
231 Posts
Outrage culture much, keyboard warrior? GrrRRrr

I was referring to the cab and chassis against the air drag. The drive train, wheels, tires, etc. will have to be addressed to even get anywhere near that speed. You act like I said all he has to do is drop a 1500 HP engine in an otherwise stock truck and let 'er rip, tater chip!!! :gearjamin

Seeing as how he could have gotten all this done by the end of the weekend, It's a good thing you called me out for being "uniformed". You probably saved lives today! notworthy

Well, in all fairness, I just got home from work so technically, I am still "uniformed" :teehee
;angel>:):grin2::smile2:

Hate specclcheck nextime will type it in the forum rather than Outlook that makes "smart corrections" save me most of the time. :)

Oh BTW never know about the hood they do buffett pretty good at high speed! :) :)

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Just pointing out that I do have attention to detail. Enough that it keeps me up at night. I'd jump into a top fuel dragster given the chance but there's no way in hell I'd get in an otherwise stock truck with nothing going for it but big HP and try to go 165.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Just take the Chiron >:)
Good example of the exponential effect of drag. I'm not 100% sure of the lower number but, the Veyron only needed about 200 HP to go 125, but to double the speed to 250, it takes 5 times the HP.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I friend of mine is building a airplane in his garage, one evening while consuming adult beverages the discussion turn to the idea that my friend would need a chase truck for his planes first flight. After more adult beverages and a debate about air speed vs ground speed we determined my truck will need to go 165 MPH to keep up with the plane.

In doing a little research I found this program to figure out how much HP I will need.

Calculate HP For Speed

So here are my questions

Thanks for any input

Bullwinkle
The answer is simple.

Get a crotch rocket, a good riding suit, helmet mounted CB radio and outrun the plane.

Have your adult beverages while you wait for the plane to catch up.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Saw that right after they did it. Sign me up!!!

James May (of all people) topped out a Veyron. He said something like, when he had slowed down enough that he felt like he was about to stop, open the door and step out, he looked down and was still going like 70.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Maybe minus the CBD enhancement in all of their beverages. :wink2:

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,274 Posts
no way in hell I'd get in an otherwise stock truck with nothing going for it but big HP and try to go 165.
Looks stock to me :rofl

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Maxd out had stock axles, rear, driveshaft, etc. Built engine, built transmission, still leaf springs.
My race truck has done 146 via gps in the Corvette it beat in mexico ;)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts