Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Just ordered the part (12695942) and hope to have it installed soon. I ordered from Suburban Chevy (trunkmonkeyparts.com) online, total cost with shipping to Florida was $8.96. My local dealership would not order the part over the phone so I would have had to make 2 trip with a cost of $7.19 plus tax. No trips to the dealership and delivered to my house, that's a no brainer.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts

Installed mine and took a video of the hood closing and it forces the filler tube back about 1/4” as the hood fully closes. Of course the new filler tube locks into place so now I’m currently trying to figure out how to remove it without pulling the engine oil separator filter/crankcase vent valve that it’s mounted in. Anyone else run into this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Let's just come right out and say it. The damn thing doesn't fit lol. I gave up on getting mine in

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I couldn't get mine in as well without messing up the heat shield on the firewall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It’ll go in just pay attention to how the cap lines up and then index the extension tube in the same way and push it down as you twist it. It is a little bit of a pain, it seems as there is no room to twist it without hitting the fire wall but if you index the groves right it’ll drop down enough to let you turn it.

Now I knew I was at least touching the hood liner but thanks for the info that it actually moves the tube over a 1/4”. Hope this doesn’t cause any issues long term, the hood liner has some give to it though.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Yeah I just lined the new tube up in the same orientation as the cap, moved the wire loom over and it popped right in, but now it hits. Worried about rubbing a hole in the hood liner over time so I would like to remove it but not sure how to now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Installed mine the other day, went right in no problem. Mine doesn't seem to be rubbing.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I didn’t think mine was either until I put my phone under to record it shutting. Doesn’t hit until the hood rests on the hood clasp and then shoves it over over when you fully close the hood.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I cut about an inch out of the filler neck and I’m using epoxy and see if it fits and holds up when dry.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Mine also hit and after seeing this I took it back off. Under power it would even hit more because the engine will torque up.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts

Installed mine and took a video of the hood closing and it forces the filler tube back about 1/4” as the hood fully closes. Of course the new filler tube locks into place so now I’m currently trying to figure out how to remove it without pulling the engine oil separator filter/crankcase vent valve that it’s mounted in. Anyone else run into this?

Hey I made a shorter one that doesn’t hit the hood liner but like you I didn’t know that when you put it in there is a tab that clicks and then it won’t come out. So I took a pair of channel lock pliers and grabbed it at the base and turned to remove it, after a bit of pressure the tab released and I was able to remover the oil filler attachment. When mine was installed it was NOT tight and I was concerned it would leak oil that is why I removed it. Totally up to you jmm137 but I was able to remove mine. I hope this helps you.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Here is how it came out after JB Weld epoxy.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
And a view of the tab that will lock the filler neck in place.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Mine also hit and after seeing this I took it back off. Under power it would even hit more because the engine will torque up.
How did you get yours removed? Not sure how to remove mine sit it has the nub that locks it into place once screwed in.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Hey I made a shorter one that doesn’t hit the hood liner but like you I didn’t know that when you put it in there is a tab that clicks and then it won’t come out. So I took a pair of channel lock pliers and grabbed it at the base and turned to remove it, after a bit of pressure the tab released and I was able to remover the oil filler attachment. When mine was installed it was NOT tight and I was concerned it would leak oil that is why I removed it. Totally up to you jmm137 but I was able to remove mine. I hope this helps you.

Thank you! I'll give that a shot and hopefully it comes out fully intact like yours did.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Justin, did you get it to come out yet?

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Justin, did you get it to come out yet?
Not yet, I needed the truck last weekend and need it again this weekend and then I'm going to try what you said. Didn't want to do it now and have that thing break off and fall down inside.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Not yet, I needed the truck last weekend and need it again this weekend and then I'm going to try what you said. Didn't want to do it now and have that thing break off and fall down inside.

Justin if you look at the last 2 pictures I posted in this thread you can see the marks that were left by the channel lock pliers. Again I just put steady pressure while turning and the lock released and then I could get the filler neck out. I hope it goes as well for you as it did for me, I was worried about something breaking off and going into the engine too. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Justin if you look at the last 2 pictures I posted in this thread you can see the marks that were left by the channel lock pliers. Again I just put steady pressure while turning and the lock released and then I could get the filler neck out. I hope it goes as well for you as it did for me, I was worried about something breaking off and going into the engine too. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
I'm not seeing the channel lock marks but I'm assuming the contact point would be just above the locking tab in hopes to squeeze it in?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm sure glad I'm not the only one who had a problem with this thing. Lol

21 - 40 of 46 Posts