Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Silverado 2500 L5P
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Not sure if I’m posting this in the right area but I had a question about lifting a “high mileage” dmax.

I bought this beast about six months ago at about 170K miles on it for work purposes. I just got a new job that doesn’t require me to be hauling much anymore but I grew to love this truck and plan on keeping it for as long as possible.

Question is, I want to put a lift, tires, regear, etc. on it but would there be any issues with me doing that with this many miles on it?

Last thing I want to do is put all of this work into it just to crap out on me once it’s all said and done.

I’ve always wanted a head turner lifted truck so I’m wanting to go with a 10-12 inch cognito lift, 40’s and regear to 4.56 or 4.88s (opinions on regear would be greatly appreciated).

It’d be a daily driver, see mostly highway miles, and see some light trails when I go down to Pulaski, TN.

Would this all be worth doing? It’s basically in almost perfect condition with the exception of me replacing all of the glow plugs recently.

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
3,576 Posts
Personally, I think that's too much for a daily driver.

If this is going to remain your daily driver, I think you'd be better served by a more modest lift (6" range) and 35'' tires or so. But again, this is just my opinion. It's your money and your truck, you need to do what you think will make you happy. Just remember, you have to pay to play. Don't cheap out on stuff.

·
Registered
2021 Denali HD Fabtech Lift and 37s
439 Posts
My daily has a 6” lift with 37s and anything bigger than that is going to be very impractical if you do need to haul materials. I haul drywall materials and it works but I wouldn’t do it with a 10-12” lift. I’m not saying don’t do the 10-12” lift and 40s but be realistic with yourself. You aren’t going to fit in any parking garages or make it through too many drive throughs. Of your goal is a head turner and you aren’t worried about the things mentioned I say go for it. Anything that’s worn out suspension wise will get replaced when you do the lift.

Reactions: Melonhead1102

·
Finally! Wheels on!
10,758 Posts
Can’t see the year in the thread but I had a 12 inch and 37s on my 2001. The door sill height was 38 inches and the load height on the tailgate was 52 IIRC. You certainly didn’t want to be throwing 90lb bags of concrete in the bed. I’ll look for the before and after. When I started driving it more than 7000 miles a year I lowered it to a 6 inch with 35s and its perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Silverado 2500 L5P
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, I think that's too much for a daily driver.

If this is going to remain your daily driver, I think you'd be better served by a more modest lift (6" range) and 35'' tires or so. But again, this is just my opinion. It's your money and your truck, you need to do what you think will make you happy. Just remember, you have to pay to play. Don't cheap out on stuff.
Thanks Melonhead,

Yeah I’ve been teetering in my mind on whether or not that would be a bit much. I’ve also considered an 8 inch lift with 375/40s. So I’m a little stumped.

I definitely wouldn’t be cheaping out on parts. I’ve done that before with a jeep build with catastrophic results so I learned my lesson there haha

·
Registered
2017 Silverado 2500 L5P
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My daily has a 6” lift with 37s and anything bigger than that is going to be very impractical if you do need to haul materials. I haul drywall materials and it works but I wouldn’t do it with a 10-12” lift. I’m not saying don’t do the 10-12” lift and 40s but be realistic with yourself. You aren’t going to fit in any parking garages or make it through too many drive throughs. Of your goal is a head turner and you aren’t worried about the things mentioned I say go for it. Anything that’s worn out suspension wise will get replaced when you do the lift.
Yeah thank god I don’t have to haul anything anymore since my new job got me a work truck. So this would really be a to and from work, gym, grocery store, and occasional road trip vehicle. I guess my worry is just the mileage I have on it. I spoke with a shop by my work and he was telling me whether or not everything is mechanically sound, that’s still a lot of miles and adding a lift and bigger tires would lessen the overall life of the truck.

·
Registered
2017 Silverado 2500 L5P
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can’t see the year in the thread but I had a 12 inch and 37s on my 2001. The door sill height was 38 inches and the load height on the tailgate was 52 IIRC. You certainly didn’t want to be throwing 90lb bags of concrete in the bed. I’ll look for the before and after. When I started driving it more than 7000 miles a year I lowered it to a 6 inch with 35s and its perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Man, you’ve got a beautiful truck! The 35’s don’t look bad at all. Yeah as of right now I’ve got a 3 inch lift (according to the previous owner) and the rear is equipped with airlift. If I could find an 01 in decent condition I’d definitely pull the trigger and trade my current for one.

·
Registered
825 Posts
My old 08 with 6" lift on 35's were a perfect daily driver. just perfect so i didnt need step bars to hop up in. Truck was gorgeous but, 6.Blow gas. After tuning it it was peppy (i say this in a very relative term for a gas truck) but 10-11mpgs. Stock before mods were 15.

NOW back to the OP question. I wouldnt think twice about mileage. I think a 10 or 12 would be awesome, but i do think it would be much for a daily driver. BUT its all in what you want. 12" lift on 38's with them visible fox shocks showing i think look pretty bad a$$. Just dont put one of those 24" exhaust dump tips out the bottom.... ha

·
Finally! Wheels on!
10,758 Posts
Man, you’ve got a beautiful truck! The 35’s don’t look bad at all. Yeah as of right now I’ve got a 3 inch lift (according to the previous owner) and the rear is equipped with airlift. If I could find an 01 in decent condition I’d definitely pull the trigger and trade my current for one.
Thank you. It’s a bona fide money pit but I’ll never sell it.

If the body and interior is in good shape I wouldn’t hesitate to lift it. It won’t be worth what you put in it but cheaper than 78k for a new one and less stuff to break.

Somewhere I have a build thread and you would see that I replaced everything. Red head gear box, kryptonite stage 3 full front end. Poly bushings all new moog ball joints. New sway bar All new rotors and OEM pads. Bilsteins. New grizzly locker new 2010 leaf springs. New parking brake pads abs hardware. Built trans etc etc.

It rides amazing and I love driving it. Trucks have gotten so tall nowadays that it’s about the same size as a new F250.

Reactions: Melonhead1102
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.