Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a 1996 k1500 4x4 that is my work truck. I have a howl coming from the rear diff, i think it is my pinion bearing ( u-joints are fine ). Has anyone every put bearings in the rear end of a chevy truck? I heard that they can kind of suck. I'm planning on replacing the wheel bearings also since i'm taking the whole works apart. Thank you. :help

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
Yes it is a pain. Some times you have to beat the bearings out from the inside. It all depends on what rear end it has in it too.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has the 8.5 inch rear end

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
its hard to explain but a bfh torch and a piece of pipe and you can do it pretty easy...it could be the carrier bearings...FYI usually when the pinion bearing goes it leaks oil...I might be able to get some pics

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
is it a full floating style 14 bolt? shaft unbolt from housing or a 12 bolt i forget what an 8.5 is

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
8.5" is the wimpy 10 bolt. Heck just go to a junkyard and pull one and swap it with yours. They're a dime a dozen. It shouldn't even have a carrier bearing. I think only 2wd trucks have a carrier bearing. I might be wrong but my old truck doesn't and it's a ecsb 4x4, and my other truck does and it's an eclb 2wd, and my dads old truck does and it's an ecsb 2wd.

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
unless its a crew cab long bed it wont have a carrier.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hell my sons truck was doing it too, and I thought it was the pinion bearing. Took the cover off and found out it was his spider gears had rough spots on them.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
It's either the spiders going bad or the pinion bearing. I had mine blew out on me, sheared half of the ring gear teeth off due to a bad spider gear.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the help guys, i'm going to run down to napa today and get some parts, i'd rather fix it then spend half the day at a salvage yard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts