Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
I understand. I do all my own work too If any of my vehicles ever needs one again it will stay bare lol. If someone wants a new headliner put in im going to charge so much they go somewhere else :rofl :rofl :rofl.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
My Duramax needs a headliner too. it looks brand new but for some reason the adhesive just failed. I think I can get away with some spray 3M and just reattaching it. But getting it back up is the terrible part.

Registered
That is indeed the terrible part

Registered
My Duramax needs a headliner too. it looks brand new but for some reason the adhesive just failed. I think I can get away with some spray 3M and just reattaching it. But getting it back up is the terrible part.
ive not had great luck with spray adhesive as a repair on headliners. usually the failure is not the glue, but the foam itself deteriorating, so it holds for a little while but ultimately falls again as more foam disintegrates. However were you to want to give it a shot, id either use super 77, or there spray contact adhesive, though on a light color headliner that may show through.

If its an extended cab or regular cab, headliner removal and install is cake. If its a crew cab its not fun to get out without bending it. You are supposed to take it out the windshield to replace it, however if you pull the seats you can finagle it out with some extra hands. You will crease the headliner trying to remove or install it in a crew cab through the doors with the seats installed though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
ive not had great luck with spray adhesive as a repair on headliners. usually the failure is not the glue, but the foam itself deteriorating, so it holds for a little while but ultimately falls again as more foam disintegrates. However were you to want to give it a shot, id either use super 77, or there spray contact adhesive, though on a light color headliner that may show through.

If its an extended cab or regular cab, headliner removal and install is cake. If its a crew cab its not fun to get out without bending it. You are supposed to take it out the windshield to replace it, however if you pull the seats you can finagle it out with some extra hands. You will crease the headliner trying to remove or install it in a crew cab through the doors with the seats installed though.
Thats the funny part I can tell that the adhesive failed on this head liner. I don't think its original. Pretty sure its aftermarket/repair. Like I said It looks like they replaced it very recently and it must have been a crappy glue job. Usually the foam stays stuck to the backing and the cloth drops down. I'm pretty sure whoever did the job just didn't use the right glue or enough glue.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts