Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was able to get a fair deal worked out for the trade in of my 2017 Silverado 1500 and picked up a 2015 2500.

Super excited to get going on this one and making it mine.

Things planned for the immediate future are a lift pump and probably taking the side steps off. Once spring hits is when I'll likely start doing more with it

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Congratulations, Nice truck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love this thing already. It's my first diesel I've personally owned. I work on them all day, but it's a little different being on the heavy side of things. Same principles obviously just much larger. I do get the occasional 7.3, 6.0 or 6.4 in, but that's just becasue working for international we used them in some of our trucks as well (unfortunately lol).

But the power this truck has, and how incredibly smooth it delivers it, is just so awesome. I cant wait to start making it mine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gave it a quick bath underneath and up top as well as gave it an in depth look underneath.

As I expected there are a few areas of surface rust where the frame coating peeled off, its nothing a little time with a wire wheel cant fix.

Was planning on taking the bed off this spring and painting the frame anyway. Really it's just a few areas around the spare tire and then up front around the steering box.

I painted the frame on my 17 and it holds up great once the initial work is done. Just a touch up in fall and spring and it stays like new.

My fuel additive also came today after a runaround with FedEx.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got my lift pump ordered. Hopefully will be here by Tuesday next week so I can install it on Wednesday. Ended up going with the Fass 95gph unit.

I'm going to try to avoid dropping the tank and instead tilting the bed up to gain access to the fuel tank.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I do get the occasional 6.0 in, but that's just becasue working for international we used them in some of our trucks as well (unfortunately lol).
Ahh the legendary VT365. Beast of a little engine....if your on a good downhill grade :rofl

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my lift pump in today. Will hopefully be installing it tomorrow or Wednesday.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
You look like you are in a warmer climate, but if interested I have a FASS lift pump heater , never installed... sold the truck before I installed it. 3/4 price...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the offer. I'm not sure if I'd need it though. It does get cold here but normally not cold enough to start to gel fuel with a decent additive in it.

Got the pump all installed today. Still need to tidy up some lines and secure them nicer, but it's in and running good.

I chose to pull the bed opposed to dropping the tank. Was easier in my opinion since the tank was still over 3/4 full haha.

I mounted it on the drivers side under the filler neck. Got it as high as I could without hitting anything.

Can just barely hear the pump. Its ultra quiet.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Looks good... Where are you located?

You just get a few guys to lift the bed off? smart way to go about it..

I always use dsl additive and gelled up last winter... had a stretch of 4 days under 10*.... Quality fuel stations too... After it gelled the Fass filter I was air bound from the filter to the engine... Sucked to purge...

Good luck...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used a little 2 ton cherry picker. I put two big ratchet straps from each of the tie downs in an X across the bed then put a shackle around the center and picked up on that.

Worked great and was fairly well balanced. Just a little front heavy.

I'm in eastern PA. Normal winter temps are usually around 32-20 on a normal day. Really cold nights it may drop to 15 or so. It's those days that my mornings are a nightmare with road calls for trucks with gelled fuel. Usually some power service 911 and a large space heater does the trick.

I did a little experiment with the additive I use. I put some fuel in a bottle and set it out side then out some more in another bottle and added the xpd addive Iam using and left it outside. So far this year (well since I've had the truck haha) it has not gotten cold enough for me to be able to tell that either sample has started to gel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
But the power this truck has, and how incredibly smooth it delivers it, is just so awesome. I cant wait to start making it mine.
I got to drive a 2016 3500 SRW truck. It was nicer to drive than my 2007 for sure. Wish I could upgrade to that generation.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My ez lynk was delivered today. Just waiting to sell some more stuff off my other truck and I'll be ordering some tunes and an exhaust.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Made some headway with the truck today. Got my tunes installed and my sotf switch installed. Also setup my monitor. I am working on a better mount that isnt a auction cup. Have a ram mount I may try and use and try to utilize the grab handle bolt.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well no pics or video yet, I will get some tomorrow.

But the exhaust in installed with the exception of the tip.

I couldn't have asked for a better fitting kit. Everything lined up perfect and fit together beautifully. Clearance is great, even considering it's 5" pipe.

The removal of the old stuff was the vast majority of the time. Took me right at 2 hours start to finish. I was able to get it all off in one piece. Well technically two since it unbolts after the doc. But I had to Jack the rear of the truck frame up to get more clearance over the axle and remove the passenger side shock. That took care of the rear section. Then I had to drop the transmission crossmember and slightly lift the trans to get the doc and its pipe out. A 4 post lift with a sliding air over hydraulic Jack made this a breeze.

Truck sounds amazing. I have the "rumble idle" tunes so I get a quick hiss when it fires up but at idle it has a nice deep rumble. Driving it is not loud at all surprisingly. Actually quieter than I thought. There is a bad drone however at around 1550-1650 rpm. I fully expected that, and will be getting a resonator to take care of it.

Pics and videos to come. Will see if I cant get my gopro mounted on there and drive it around.

Like mentioned just need to mount the tip. I also need to seal up and secure the now dead wiring. I want to see if I cant get some blank connectors and pack them with dielectric grease and secure them out of harm's way.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts