Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went to a pull last night in freeburg il and was having a pretty good good night until the last 5ft of my second hook. Very tacky track and aggressive tires did me in. I got 4th in the open diesel class and had a great run going in the gas/diesel challenge until my driveshaft gave up the ghost. Still got 1st but it was costly.

First time my truck has ever seen a tow truck. I've always heard that when u get around 1000lb/ft the weak link is the aluminum shaft. Looks like it proved to b true in my case.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
sell ya another one.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
That sucks..............

Did it break anything else when it gave?

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
That blows. Do you have loops?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sucks..............

Did it break anything else when it gave?
Doesn't look like it. I was worried about my airdog cause it's right there on the inside frame rail. It banged pretty hard off my exhaust but that's no biggie.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That blows. Do you have loops?
I use 3/8" chain from framerail to framerail to meet the rules. The chain caught the back part but the front section flopped around quite a bit. I'm thinking about making a real loop for the front half of the shaft using some steel strap. After experiencing a driveshaft explode I want to make sure if it happens again I don't hurt anything or anybody.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Good idea. If that wasnt aluminum it might have come through the floor!

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good idea. If that wasnt aluminum it might have come through the floor!
Do u have to run loops to race chris? If so what did u use?

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Do u have to run loops to race chris? If so what did u use?
No. I'm not fast enough yet.
I've seen guys use a section of pipe with a strap welded to it or you can spring for the pre-made ones from All-Season.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No. I'm not fast enough yet.
I've seen guys use a section of pipe with a strap welded to it or you can spring for the pre-made ones from All-Season.
Sounds good, thanks for the info. Best of luck on your build btw.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Thanks.
And Congrats on first place!

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
yeah i have seen some people do the plate on a tube for the rear then drill a few holes in the rearend to hold it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats on the first place finish!!! You may want to give Mark at Greensburg Machine for a new steel driveshaft. Real good guy and great prices. Tell him it's for a pulling truck!

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Make sure it is balanced unless you only pull with it.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congrats on the first place finish!!! You may want to give Mark at Greensburg Machine for a new steel driveshaft. Real good guy and great prices. Tell him it's for a pulling truck!
Thanks James. I will def give him a yell. I gotta have something that will handle the abuse.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Make sure it is balanced unless you only pull with it.
I'm with ya on this. I DD mine too much to worry about shaking and vibrating all the time.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
U have a stocker? Might take u up on that until I can have a steel one made.
yeah, I have a stock one, it has just over 100k on it, it has u joints yoke and all. A new stocker it a grand, which is what i put back on mine, had this one for a spare, but dont think ill need it.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
what's the deal with steel vs. aluminum on these? i have two 04's, the chevy has a steel shaft and the gmc is an aluminum one.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts