Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
18” flex hose on pistol grip grease gun, there’s not very many places you can’t get to with this combination.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #85

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Changed out the fuel filter this morning, fuel was clean, no issues that I could see; easy day. Once I get the 90 degree zerk fitting I'll get that last part lubed - probably next weekend. Next project will be a Transend fluid change out on the Allison with fresh filters.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I'll have to look into getting that 90* coupler, the 18" hose has worked for me for years, but you do have to work around stuff that's in the way.
Those 3 that I mentioned are the hardest ones for me to get to.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
I'll have to look into getting that 90* coupler, the 18" hose has worked for me for years, but you do have to work around stuff that's in the way.

Those 3 that I mentioned are the hardest ones for me to get to.
It's still some work to get to those 3 fittings but it makers it easier with the 90* coupler. Make sure the zerk fitting in the 90* coupler is tight. I have had to tighten it a couple times over the time I have had it.

You can try making one of these too. I made one and it works good but I always go back to the 90* one.

https://www.merchant-automotive.com/10007-Right-Angle-Grease-Adapter.aspx

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Changed out the fuel filter this morning, fuel was clean, no issues that I could see; easy day. Once I get the 90 degree zerk fitting I'll get that last part lubed - probably next weekend. Next project will be a Transend fluid change out on the Allison with fresh filters.
If you can get the front of your truck up higher than the rear before you pull the trans drain plug, I drive mine on 6" blocks..
You'll get more fluid out draining back down, especially if you can let it set for a while.
Pick up one of these measure buckets (below) to drain your fluid in, of course that'll take all the fun out of guessing how much you drained out.

Attachments

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,377 Posts
Well I was able to lube the all the zerk fittings on the chassis except one (will need a different female fitting for that one)....came across this: Common? I'm at 10k.....any better/stronger options out there?

I had the same thing happen with my skid plate. I made one out of a sheet of ABS for about $50 and it works great! Strong and lite weight.

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,377 Posts

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I had the same thing happen with my skid plate. I made one out of a sheet of ABS for about $50 and it works great! Strong and lite weight.

Wolf,
Looks good :thumb
There’s a hole in the bottom of the stock skid plate that’s for the lower radiator hose support to push thru.
Or did you find another way to support it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Might be a good idea if you go crawling around in the rocks..........
Absolutely, but it was also finding that my OE plastic pan was already cracked around the bolt holes on a nearly new truck. I am sure it will do the job for the moment but it caused me to do some forum searches only to find that the cracking was common. A new GM plastic pan is not very expensive but it also is not going to solve the problem.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
The problem is the skid plate is plastic and people over tighten the bolts. I have a lbz with that same type of skid plate. When I first got the truck I took that plate off a couple of times and must have over tighten it. I started noticing cracking around the bolt holes. What I did was not tighten the bolts so tight and it lasted many years like that. If you worried about the bolts coming loose, you can use silicone on the bolt threads and it will prevent the bolts backing out. Or use a little blue locktite.

I have never had a problem ever since. All i started doing is not tightening the bolts so tight. Never used any thread sealant. I just recently install a lift so replaced the skid plate with another factory plastic one.

·
Registered
787 Posts
On my 18, the skid plate is already cracked and I have not taken it off. The one on the 04 has been cracked since about 06 and still going strong. I think GM should have put metal sleeves in them to prevent the cracking.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts