Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
The 10 speed is only "Allison Branded". It's not made or even designed by Allison...
=============================================
Dosnt surprise me - I bought a 6500 in 2001; not surprised to find it had a SPICER transmission and EATON rear axle. WAS quite surprised to find out they were part of the economic system of this marvelous "NEW WORLD ORDER". Translation "out-sourced crap" - my recollection was the things were So. American.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know who made it>

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
GM makes the new 10-speed.....just as they have for the last 12 years on all Allison equipped HDs.

Translation "out-sourced crap"
And....just as your 6500....the chassis and axles on the GM MD trucks are mfr'd by Navastar....with the GM built Dmax & 6-speed trans.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The 10 speed is only "Allison Branded". It's not made or even designed by Allison...
True. However, I understand that is designed to Allison specs and even approved by Allison. No way Allison is gong to put their name on a transmission that would not reflect positively on the company or transmission. I have no worries about the transmission but am very disappointed that it doesn't have an external filter, a dipstick, and must be serviced at the stealership. I'm hoping it won't take long for an aftermarket company to offer a "kit" that includes fluid, gasket and filter so I can change the fluid when I want and know it's done right. Not sure how you fill the transmission without a fill tube..... hmmm

·
Registered
249 Posts
Easy to drain and fill one but is a PITA! Did it this way for a couple of trucks that used the HD ATS transmissions and TQ converters. While the truck is running have the line coming from the transmission going to one container and the other line being replaced with the new fluid I used Amsoil. When clean fluid comes out you are done.

This new Transmission uses a new fluid type that is much thinner, DEXRON ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid (GM Part No. 19352619, in Canada 19352620). For the DIY or shade tree shops this may be an issue. Trucks are going this way and to my understanding the new Ford 10 speed coming out in a few months for the 2020 series F250 and up will be the same.

Just have to get used to it because times are changing. :) Do I like it -- not really but have no choice in the matter....

Additionally, the transmission oil temps even in 100 plus on my truck no loads yet 149. One thing I miss from my 18 F250 was the ability to see oil temps on the DIC.… Oh Well...

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Easy to drain and fill one but is a PITA! Did it this way for a couple of trucks that used the HD ATS transmissions and TQ converters. While the truck is running have the line coming from the transmission going to one container and the other line being replaced with the new fluid I used Amsoil. When clean fluid comes out you are done.
That would be the HOOT Method, used by the DIY on the Allison 1000.

·
Registered
356 Posts
True. However, I understand that is designed to Allison specs and even approved by Allison. No way Allison is gong to put their name on a transmission that would not reflect positively on the company or transmission. I have no worries about the transmission but am very disappointed that it doesn't have an external filter, a dipstick, and must be serviced at the stealership. I'm hoping it won't take long for an aftermarket company to offer a "kit" that includes fluid, gasket and filter so I can change the fluid when I want and know it's done right. Not sure how you fill the transmission without a fill tube..... hmmm
Why would any aftermarket company develop and manufacture upgrade kits? Ford should claim they have an Allison too since it's the same 10 speed transmission.
At least the 5 & 6 speed Allison 1000's were real Allison's before manufacturing was transferred to GM.

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Pictures of the new 10 speed main shaft were posted on a competing forum. A famous Allison builder in SoCal stated that the new 10 speed is "all Ford". Allison had developed a 9 speed but GM took the cheap way out and "partnered" with Ford.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
question: I'm at 15k, going to change transmission spin on filter. How much trans fluid do you typically add when you do that? Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
when changed mine think added about 250ml (~1 cup) so if you grab a litre (quart) you will have lots. I think mine was a bit low to begin with

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I just changed my transmission filter a few days ago and I just filled the filter as HWI did too and it seemed to work fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
thanks! Easy as can be. Fluid looked new. Filled new Allison filter before install, new magnet as well. Engine oil/filter also complete, went back to 5w40 for the winter. New wiper blades; went with Trico beam style; prefer the fit of OEM blades-switching back on the next round.

lunch break

then I'm off to rotate the tires/wash the backs of the wheels.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Well she has 20k on her now; can't believe I've owned her 2 years now...still a new truck to me! Just completed another oil/filter change and replaced the fuel filter with a new one. Went with the Rotella 5w40 T6 again. Fuel filter looked clean as a whistle. Did notice a little diesel creep around the fuel filter housing, no pinched o-rings I could see; normal? wiped her down, no issues.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts