Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Too bad the companies don't give a choice, like they did 60's- mid 80's. In the big trucks you could get converters or Cummins.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My boss has a 2008 gmc 1500 with the 6.2 and compared to the 6.0 that thing is an animal. The 6.0 is torquey but wont get out of it's own way. Kind of like the 8.1 but not as thirsty. The 6.2 tows awesome for a 1500 passer probably the best bet for a truck that will tow what your needing to tow and without the "pay the cost to be the boss" diesel repair bills lol. Just saying drive one maybe tow something before you go out and buy something that is going to be expensive to repair and your only going to "use" it a few times a year. Worth a look

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My boss has a 2008 gmc 1500 with the 6.2 and compared to the 6.0 that thing is an animal. The 6.0 is torquey but wont get out of it's own way. Kind of like the 8.1 but not as thirsty. The 6.2 tows awesome for a 1500 passer probably the best bet for a truck that will tow what your needing to tow and without the "pay the cost to be the boss" diesel repair bills lol. Just saying drive one maybe tow something before you go out and buy something that is going to be expensive to repair and your only going to "use" it a few times a year. Worth a look
Yeah, I'd love a newer truck with a 6.2. Just not in the cards unless I find a good deal. In terms of repair bills for a diesel, that's kind of why i'm leaning towards the cummins. I work on all my vehicles anyway.

I have also tried to think differently and have looked at longer box trucks. Can find some cheap uhaul ones, hack off the box (some come with them already off) and build a flat bed, put a winch on it. It would replace my trailer also and actually be longer. It would have a wider deck which would be really helpful if I have to haul a dually. Obviously that would throw MPGs out the window. Most of the trucks I have seen have the 8.1. Another thing is that I really like just driving my truck sometimes and well, a big box truck.... One really good thing about those box trucks is that they usually have low miles. About 150k miles. This idea would realistically be a better option down the road when I get more land...or maybe never. Just something to think on.

Still looking right now. Getting info from sellers is a pain in the ass. Ask them 3 simple questions and they only answer 1. You ask them about the title and they just ignore you. Buying and selling vehicles gets harder and harder every day. Hell, had one guy that I said I want to come pick up. Told him I have the cash. Agree to a day, message him that day and he ignores. then it happens again. I guess some people just want attention and for somebody to talk to them? Idk...Rant over

·
Registered
102 Posts
Haha I get the rant this is a tough situation if you can find an lbz in your price range that I think would be the way to go but it your willing to spend the money or do it yourself (still not cheap but way cheaper) then yeah go for it these diesels are great engines and yeah the Cummins is the top dog if you ask me but they wrap it I garbage like it has been said many times. Get you a dirtymax and just take care of it that's what I see most at work is people who neglect them have huge repair bills but I take care of mine and my kids aren't hungry so be it lol. I heard Toyota was trying to get with CAT for a truck and CAT didn't want anything to do with the emissions. I have been a Chevy boy all my life but it that happened I might think twice lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
05 GMC LLY, DRW 4X4 crew. Oversize tires and LBZ mouthpiece, nothing else but the occasional fuel additive on long trips. I tow a 5th wheel car trailer and heavy cars for a total load of 10K, sometimes close to 12 depending on what car is in it. Best ever was 11.4 mpg on the DIC, calculated by hand about 12.1. On average I get 11 towing. Empty the heavy ol girl gets 17-18 hwy and about 13-14 daily driving. The secret to better hwy mileage is steady RPM. 2200 is the magic number. Any spirited long pedal action will drop those numbers into oh schizzle quickly. My tired are much taller than OEM, I run 235/85s which changes the speedometer by as much as 4 MPH slow. 2200 gives me just about 74 MPH. Admittedly, a 4 ton empty dually isn't exactly performance material and I don't care about that. It does work, not fun, but I also really like driving it in spite of the size. Your results may vary, tax n title extra, void where prohibited, see your retailer for details...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
With the diesel engine one can expect 25-50 percent more miles on a gallon of fuel which translates into 25-50 percent more miles driven on a full tank of fuel. There is also a world of difference in the RPM's needed to be in the peak power band between a diesel and a gas engine and the amount of lb ft of torque the engines can generate. For towing this makes a great deal of difference.

The LML engine has been in production for 10 years which is a very long time for a Duramax model. The LB7 engine with its injector problems was used only unitl early 2004 when it was replaced with the LLY that was in trucks produced until 2006 (18 months). The LLY suffered from its head gasket design. The 2006 to 2007 LBZ was a big improvement but it was replaced with the LMM in 2010 that was a poor design in that raw diesel was injected into the cylinders to reduce pollution and a fair amount of the fuel ended up in the crankcase. A year later the LML engine was introduced. If I was going to buy a used diesel truck it would be one with the LBZ engine or the LML engine.

One can fix the issues with the earlier diesel trucks and if you have the time and set aside the money they can be a good value. A friend bought a 2002 and got it for a good price and even after spenind $4,000 to replace the injectors and other components the total cost was quite reasonable. I do not know where one can get this done for $2500 as the Bosch parts alone for the injectors sells for $3,700 and it does not include the high pressure fuel lines or the solenoid wiring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, I picked up a 2005 LLY. I honestly don't know the condition yet. It runs and that's about all I know. It's rusty, but it has new tires and even a camper shell. I only paid for $2100 so even if it is a dud, I can part it out. I do know of someone that has a nice looking LLY that has a bad engine. It's been for sale for a little while and I might look at picking that up if I can get him cheaper.

In terms of the head gasket issue, I'm not too worried about that. The head gaskets aren't overly expensive and I'll be doing my own work.

I do have a 3/4 ton gasser with a nice body.

The diesel I just picked up comes with slip on rocker panel replacements and all that so I might just make it look good enough and focus more on the drivetrain. I mean, it's going to be a tow/work truck. Not a show truck.

I actually have my eye on some cummins.....but gosh damn I just don't like the body style of the mid/late 90s and the interior looks like crap imo. And the suspension is gargage, and the automatic trans is garbage, and the logo is garbage. lol...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
One can fix the issues with the earlier diesel trucks and if you have the time and set aside the money they can be a good value. A friend bought a 2002 and got it for a good price and even after spenind $4,000 to replace the injectors and other components the total cost was quite reasonable. I do not know where one can get this done for $2500 as the Bosch parts alone for the injectors sells for $3,700 and it does not include the high pressure fuel lines or the solenoid wiring.

Those are lbz injectors. In terms of Lb7 injectors, you can get them for around $2k or so. Just shop around a bit.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts