Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking on the site for a few weeks, right after I bought my new truck. I own my own professional motocross team, and had been pulling my trailers with my 08 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, with the 5.3 motor. I made many trips from one coast to the other, and the motor had good power, but less than desired fuel economy. It didn't matter whether it was a 14' enclosed trailer, or my 31' mobile race command trailer, it always got about 6-7 mpg on the highway, and I was always looking for fuel at the 120 mile range. (Lots of places where I go have 180 miles between fuel stops.)

I was able to find a new 2011 Duramax,2500HD, extended cab, with the LT trim package, and a carpet delete. (Perfect for someone who is always in the dirt).

The power of the truck is unbelievable, and I get 22 mpg on the highway, 17 in the city, and 17-19 pulling my trailers. My fuel range between stops is incredible, saving me time, and money, even though diesel is more expensive.

I can't believe how quiet and clean burning this engine is, and the Allison 6 speed is just, a work of art.

The only downside is the DEF. I bought my first 2.5 gallons yesterday. The cheapest place in the city that had it was charging about 11 dollars a gallon. :cookoo[1]: I think those with DEF motors are getting raped. JMO.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Welcome! Throw up some pics of your rig when you have a chance. Glad you're liking it so much. You'll find that its a love hate battle when it comes to the emissions. It will run better without it, however will void your warranty removing, so it's just one of those things you have to decide upon regretfully.

·
Registered
263 Posts
oreilly autoparts sells it for 7 bucks a gallon, so just stock up when you go by one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I live outside of Denver, Colorado, and while pulling a trailer over Eisenhower Tunnel, keep thinking about the video comparison between the Chevy and the Ford. I have nothing against the other truck brands, but I sure do like the engine braking feature when I have over 60k dollars worth of race bikes in my trailer, on those steep grades.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have even seen DEF fluid for sale at Walmart.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have been lurking on the site for a few weeks, right after I bought my new truck. I own my own professional motocross team, and had been pulling my trailers with my 08 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, with the 5.3 motor. I made many trips from one coast to the other, and the motor had good power, but less than desired fuel economy. It didn't matter whether it was a 14' enclosed trailer, or my 31' mobile race command trailer, it always got about 6-7 mpg on the highway, and I was always looking for fuel at the 120 mile range. (Lots of places where I go have 180 miles between fuel stops.)

I was able to find a new 2011 Duramax,2500HD, extended cab, with the LT trim package, and a carpet delete. (Perfect for someone who is always in the dirt).

The power of the truck is unbelievable, and I get 22 mpg on the highway, 17 in the city, and 17-19 pulling my trailers. My fuel range between stops is incredible, saving me time, and money, even though diesel is more expensive.

I can't believe how quiet and clean burning this engine is, and the Allison 6 speed is just, a work of art.

The only downside is the DEF. I bought my first 2.5 gallons yesterday. The cheapest place in the city that had it was charging about 11 dollars a gallon. :cookoo[1]: I think those with DEF motors are getting raped. JMO.
what team do you own and who are your riders if you dont mind me askin? i'm a huge moto fan and have been for years. I ride just about every weekend. A friend of a friend is one of the Geico Honda mechanics. He wrenched for Blake Wharton for a few years and then Decotis and Vincent during outdoors this year.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think I got some 2 1/2 gallons for less than $20 with tax. Sounds like you might have about as good of a deal there though. You wont need but about 6 gallons per 10k miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what team do you own and who are your riders if you dont mind me askin? i'm a huge moto fan and have been for years. I ride just about every weekend. A friend of a friend is one of the Geico Honda mechanics. He wrenched for Blake Wharton for a few years and then Decotis and Vincent during outdoors this year.
I have a mixed bag of riders. We have been doing a lot of Kicker Arenacross lately, and I have a couple of Pro quad riders. Josh Romero is reigning series champion, and in a fight to repeat for back to back championships. Charley McManigal is a phenomenal rider, and wins every race, but has trouble staying healthy. Tariq Barwani is a Pro bike rider from Oman, and does a lot of the endurance challenges and desert races overseas. Chris Fair is one of my NHRA drag bike riders, and just took his 7th Wally a few weeks ago.

I work closely with Cowboy Kenny Bartram, Derek Cook and Trey Canard on the mx and freestyle side of things. I am just an old washed up former Yamaha support rider from the 80's, who still manages to win on a quad in arenacross, does backflips on a quad for fun, TT races on both the quads and my bikes.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
503 Posts
Welcome. I love the Denver area. My cousin lives in broomfield. There are a few guys on here from Denver also.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a mixed bag of riders. We have been doing a lot of Kicker Arenacross lately, and I have a couple of Pro quad riders. Josh Romero is reigning series champion, and in a fight to repeat for back to back championships. Charley McManigal is a phenomenal rider, and wins every race, but has trouble staying healthy. Tariq Barwani is a Pro bike rider from Oman, and does a lot of the endurance challenges and desert races overseas. Chris Fair is one of my NHRA drag bike riders, and just took his 7th Wally a few weeks ago.

I work closely with Cowboy Kenny Bartram, Derek Cook and Trey Canard on the mx and freestyle side of things. I am just an old washed up former Yamaha support rider from the 80's, who still manages to win on a quad in arenacross, does backflips on a quad for fun, TT races on both the quads and my bikes.
right on thats cool. feel sooo bad for trey. he's the nicest kid but had such bad luck this year. he was on it till he got hurt again.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts