Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

71621 - 71640 of 71774 Posts

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #71,621
Good luck with them delivering shit on time... they pissed me off last week.

Home safe with the trailer. Had a shit-your-pants moment driving through the Columbia River gorge where a sudden gust of wind actually pushed the rear end of the truck sideways at 65-70mph. Was pretty white knuckle at times.

3.5-5mpg at times into the wind. Average mpg from Post Falls to home was about 10mpg.
Yeah thats a big wind catcher if its blowing out Ryan. Gotta be paying attention and be ready for it in areas like that. Glad you handled it and are home safe.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rparlee

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
You getting any improvement in your mobility yet?

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Some but a long way to go. the wosrt part is the damaged nerve is reconnecting. And it hurts like hell. No feeling was better.

Reactions: Blue06Sierra

·
Registered
4,475 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Good luck with them delivering shit on time... they pissed me off last week.

Home safe with the trailer. Had a shit-your-pants moment driving through the Columbia River gorge where a sudden gust of wind actually pushed the rear end of the truck sideways at 65-70mph. Was pretty white knuckle at times.

3.5-5mpg at times into the wind. Average mpg from Post Falls to home was about 10mpg.
It depends on the trailer. Wind doesn't bother mine at all. Except the headwind fuel mileage thing. I am glad mine is stable in the wind. We hit some serious wind in southern Idaho and Utah. But Kalifornia has some serious wind too. It's real fun when it's windy and snowing at the same time.

Reactions: Blue06Sierra

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Part of it may be that I borrowed an Equal-i-zer WD hitch from a neighbor because mine hadn’t shown up yet - thanks UPS (hence my comment about UPS). I slapped the brackets on the trailer and adjusted the height to get the bars parallel to the frame, but I didn’t achieve much weight transfer to the front. I probably would have had to adjust the head to get more than the 1/8” I got, and didn’t want to mess with that on a borrowed setup. Aside from the winds, it towed great.

I’m getting the Blueox system.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
It gets pretty windy through there. I pulled our 25T with the old 2000 K3500 7.4 liter (454) CCSB DRW along I90 in 2011 on a trip to Yellowstone and SD. I was continuously looking for fuel stops.

My trailer pulls fine in most winds but there's a lot more sail area on yours.

Glad you made it home safe.

·
Finally! Wheels on!
9,055 Posts
Morning boys, Ryan, that’s one reason I went with a 5er. That extra pin weight helps plant it. Now you have a taste for it you’ll know what to look for and how to react in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #71,629
Morning guys, was going to take the truck to work this morning. Fired it up and the turn signal light in the driversside mirror illumninates and stays that way.

Driverside blinker wont work, and when I hit the brakes I can see the parking light and side view mirror arrow flicker.

I messed with it as much as possible, but I had to get going, so I just parked the truck and got in the Corolla.

I know its done this before but it has been a super long time ago. Hopefully someone fixes it before I get home today from work today.

Have a great monday!

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Monday mornin! I came home Wednesday not feeling well. Took Thu. and Fri off to bring hay in. Sat. was sore as hell did nothing then Sun attempted to install the drive shaft in my Subaru broke off one of two bolts on the carrier bearing support. This morning go out to start the bike and apparently because I wasn't feeling well when I got home on Wednesday I left the key on. Yup it's Monday!!!

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Morning guys, was going to take the truck to work this morning. Fired it up and the turn signal light in the driversside mirror illumninates and stays that way.

Driverside blinker wont work, and when I hit the brakes I can see the parking light and side view mirror arrow flicker.

I messed with it as much as possible, but I had to get going, so I just parked the truck and got in the Corolla.

I know its done this before but it has been a super long time ago. Hopefully someone fixes it before I get home today from work today.

Have a great monday!

You're not alone Russ... see my post above...
Hope you all have a better day than Russ and I had starting out. Russ I hope our days get better.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Morning guys.

What a way to start a Monday. Have 20 resumes to go through for two hires. Certainly hope that I can find two qualified candidates as the delete button on my computer is almost worn out. :unsure:

You boys be safe out there.

Reactions: harnold and 1TRIKHD

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Morning guys.

What a way to start a Monday. Have 20 resumes to go through for two hires. Certainly hope that I can find two qualified candidates as the delete button on my computer is almost worn out. :unsure:

You boys be safe out there.
Good luck. Out of three new hires two are former employees that left for greener pastures maybe I and our other forman can actually lead our crews instead of ourselves and each other...
Bike is still on the charger not sure the battery is going to recover. Battery is the original bike is a 2016 4 years is pretty good for a bike battery though.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Part of it may be that I borrowed an Equal-i-zer WD hitch from a neighbor because mine hadn’t shown up yet - thanks UPS (hence my comment about UPS). I slapped the brackets on the trailer and adjusted the height to get the bars parallel to the frame, but I didn’t achieve much weight transfer to the front. I probably would have had to adjust the head to get more than the 1/8” I got, and didn’t want to mess with that on a borrowed setup. Aside from the winds, it towed great.

I’m getting the Blueox system.
If you take too much weight off the rear it will cause what you experienced. I don't use weight distribution hitches anymore. When I lowered it the rear would hit the stops and caused a rough ride. So I installed auto leveling airbags. The weight distribution hitch took too much weight off the rear. And my trailer is front heavy. I use a Weigh safe hitch now. So I can check the tounge weight and move stuff inside if needed. It tows fine and rides better than it ever did now. I chose my trailer in part because the bathroom is in the rear. The wheels are further back because the holding tank is under the toilet. They need to design the trailer so if the waste tanks behind the axles are full and the fresh and propane tanks in front are empty it still has 10% hitch weight. That makes it have less rear overhang and more tounge weight. That makes it more stable. It tows great at 80 MPH in Idaho and utah. Other than fuel mileage which sucks at that speed. But it is also very stable in the wind. But for a half ton it would be a little front heavy. It weighs 6500 pounds empty and has 1050 pounds tounge weight. Waste tanks empty and fresh and propane full the front weighs 1200 pounds. The black water tank is in the rear and holds 37 gallons. It is never more than 1/4 full. But if it is 1/4 full and the grey water is full at 37 gallons with fresh empty it only has 800 pounds tounge weight. Still enough but I dump the grey as soon as possible. The more tounge weight the better it handles. The airbags keep the truck level. These trucks are so long with so little overhang behind the rear axle the front axle has little change. Weight distribution hitches don't load it and weight dosen't unload it. Also it is heavy to start with with the Duramax and Allison. I think you will find no hitch will make much difference. If it's a poorly balanced trailer you are just going to have to slow down especially in the wind. Load everything towards the front. Don't load anything on the rear bumper. That's one reason I wanted a long wheelbase trailer was to make an extended bumper for a storage box and my generator. It makes very little difference on mine. What you should do is try and catch the truck scale north of your place closed. Roll through and write down the axle weights. Drop the trailer and Weigh just the truck. See what that does to the front axle. Then hook it back up and circle around again without the distribution bars. Write all the weights down. I think you will find if you bring the truck back to level with the hitch the rear is too light. The rear axle on these trucks are light anyway. If the rear axle is too light the combined unit will be unstable and the wind will push the connection point sideways as that has the least traction of all the axles. I think you will also find the front axle is almost the same on all 3 times you go through the scale. If the scale is closed they won't bother you. But that one is almost always open. Saturday is your best chance. Or go further north and hit the southbound one. It's almost never open. You will find keeping the rear of the truck a little low is where it handles the best. The distribution bars only move the weight to the trailer and that makes things worse. You could also add manual adjustment airbags and raise it up about half of the way and do the rest with the hitch and Weigh it to be sure you still have enough weight on the rear axle. Remember that axle can carry almost as much as the tandem trailer axle if they are 5 bolt wheels.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rparlee

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Morning guys

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Well boys. Today is a Monday.

Fucking swamped. Almost overwhelming which I don’t usually get anymore. But we are pushing forward and almost got to our goal.
Don't be overwhelmed Joe be overjoyed and pray this is a sign we are on the road to recovery...

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I am going to put the canopy on my truck and start loading for a short vacation. We are going to get part of what we had planned between doctors appointments. Not going to Vegas or LA. Just to visit my sisters in Boise and the to Utah for a few days then back home. It kinda sucks but it will have to do.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Reactions: harnold and 1TRIKHD

·
Registered
10,249 Posts
Afternoon guys. Got some stuff finally shipping for both trucks. Something kinda funny happened last night. Riding down the road with the kids and piston in the flatty. Started hearing a noise when i accelerated. So i let off then got back into it. Didnt hear it. So i let off then heard it. Turned the radio all the way down and the ac off. Heard it again....
It was the dog snoring like a got damn bear😂😂😂

71621 - 71640 of 71774 Posts