Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

72861 - 72880 of 73098 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
dude, that is sooo me.
@ChevyTech77. Continuing the butt dyno diagnosis of my issue. Can it be torque converter shudder possibly? At some points near 55 when rpms are low it seems to get better when i pull it down to 6th from 8th

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So yeah, upon further review.......
A. I forgot that the 8L90 has an ECCC torque converter. Basically a super fancy convertor clutch system that is much more variable in it's ability to produce torque multiplication/lock up which brings me to...
B. The TCC RARELY, completely, locks up on this trans AND software will cause the TCC slip rate to vary in all gear ranges not just the upper ranges, like most transmissions usually do. The only way to lock it up completely would be with the GM scan tool and you would have to do that to see if the vibe is completely gone at that point to the go after the TC.

Description/operation of the torque converter in the 8L90....

A torque converter with an electronically controlled capacity clutch (ECCC). ECCC was developed to reduce the possibility of noise, vibration, or chuggle caused by TCC apply. In a torque converter with ECCC, the pressure plate does not always fully lock to the torque converter cover. Instead, the pressure plate maintains a small amount of slippage. In RWD 8-Speed transmissions, this slippage can range from 0–50 RPM. Full lockup (0 RPM slip) is still available on some applications. TCC may apply in 1st trough 8th gear. The specific TCC apply points and the amount of clutch slippage are determined by a number of operating conditions, including throttle position, vehicle speed, gear, as well as specific vehicle application. Transmission fluid temperature will also affect TCC apply points.

·
Finally! Wheels on!
9,121 Posts
Now that makes a whole lotta sense. I was driving this morning and just around 50-55 it was shuddering a bit and I noticed the tach bobbling while it was doing it.

I’m a correct in that some of this has been solved with a synthetic fluid change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
Howdy boys! My son pulled the trigger on a nice 1/2 ton this week. Real nice shape 17 with 34k on clock. Thanks everyone for your comments on the 5.3 - me, I'd of looked for a 6.2, but this is perfect for him. I think General Motors should throw a little love my way with driveway like this!

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
This is funny
Blacks seem to be jumping from the Democratic party. I work with a lot of them. We make good money and most of them have always been conservative. Voted mostly Republican. But even the guys who thought Oidiot's shit didn't stink are saying bad things about the Democrats and Oidiot. I know it's one group of people in 2 terminals but I think it's more than that. One of our black road drivers says it's the Same in the Portland terminals as well. And their mostly black night dock crew were among the most Dem types. He says they see it too. They are embarrassed by black lives matter bullshit. And the riots around it. They fear new racism from it.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rparlee

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Now that makes a whole lotta sense. I was driving this morning and just around 50-55 it was shuddering a bit and I noticed the tach bobbling while it was doing it.

I’m a correct in that some of this has been solved with a synthetic fluid change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 8 speeds use D6 HP which is a full synthetic. A flush would probably only clean out any material damage that might already be happening if the concern is a TCC issue, which it sort of sounds like it might be now. Need to take a dealer tech for a ride with you, have them use the scan tool to lock up the TCC and see if the vibe is gone.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Afternoon guys.

Just installed this new two weeks ago and now have moisture in the fixture. I sealed the fixture with silicone when I installed the light.

Has anyone seen this before and if so, what did you do to fix it? TIA

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Well once they get moisture in them shortly after they short out.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Afternoon guys.

Just installed this new two weeks ago and now have moisture in the fixture. I sealed the fixture with silicone when I installed the light.

Has anyone seen this before and if so, what did you do to fix it? TIA View attachment 1078917
Those things are horribly sealed, in my experiences.

·
Registered
19,554 Posts
Afternoon guys.

Has anyone seen this before and if so, what did you do to fix it? TIA View attachment 1078917
Where did you get them jimmy?

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I went to Loren Culp's rally in North Bend. I think he has a chance to beat our idiot govenor. I hope so. For those of you who aren't local you may have heard of him. When the anti gun 1639 passed he made it to Fox news several times. He is the police chief from a small town who started the refuse to enforce movement here. Now there is a long list of police Cheifs and Sheriffs who won't enforce it. Not that I care about that cuz I is skeeerd of gunz and ain't got none.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I couldn't help it

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
I went to Loren Culp's rally in North Bend. I think he has a chance to beat our idiot govenor. I hope so. For those of you who aren't local you may have heard of him. When the anti gun 1639 passed he made it to Fox news several times. He is the police chief from a small town who started the refuse to enforce movement here. Now there is a long list of police Cheifs and Sheriffs who won't enforce it. Not that I care about that cuz I is skeeerd of gunz and ain't got none.

Even more scary with a Cat UHE suppressor

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
It's coming together Hayden.
Looking good.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
they will definitely work then.

thanks man
I tossed them on the charger today. Both had been discharged to storage voltage so I cycled them all the way up and then back down to storage voltage. IR on one of them is a little up there but both still work well.

Shitty part is, my car is still sitting on the table with dirty tires from the last race I ran it at (local Friday night gig at an indoor dirt off road track about 5 minutes from the house) back the end of January. So, I decided to clean it up while I was down there. Pulled the body off and my good race battery is still plugged in, DOH!! 3 volts total over both cells. I don’t have a fancy charger that will try to bring it back either and that’s usually just a good way to light one on fire anyway so, that one gets shit canned. Operator error lol. I’ll buy a fresh pack when indoor season starts back up in a few months.

Any idea how you are suppose to ship these things? Guess I can google it but I know certain carriers won’t ship them at all. PM me your particulars and I’ll shoot you tracking info once I get them on the way.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Where did you get them jimmy?
GMPartsGiant.com. Appears to be a GM dealer in AZ somewhere.

Do you think I could possibly get a warranty replacement?

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Good morning fellers. Hope everyone has a great day. Might be getting another duramaxxerrrr. Checked out a cheap lb7 yesterday. Hasnt ran for a year, and half the engine is tore down. Body is in good shape though and not alot of rust. Its an ext cab long bed dually zf6 truck. Which is perfect for what i want to do with it. Just trying to work out a price. The guys asking a bit too much for a truck that doesnt run and is tore down to the heads

Reactions: 56taskforce

·
Registered
19,554 Posts
Howdy boys! My son pulled the trigger on a nice 1/2 ton this week. Real nice shape 17 with 34k on clock. Thanks everyone for your comments on the 5.3 - me, I'd of looked for a 6.2, but this is perfect for him. I think General Motors should throw a little love my way with driveway like this! View attachment 1078896
GMPartsGiant.com. Appears to be a GM dealer in AZ somewhere.

Do you think I could possibly get a warranty replacement?
All gm parts carry a 12 month 12k mile warranty.

72861 - 72880 of 73098 Posts