Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

81241 - 81260 of 81499 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Reactions: bigdave_185

·
Registered
20,793 Posts
heat and peel can result in pulling off the paint... I highly suggest the fishing line and 3m eraser wheel.. it is specifically made by the company that makes the tape to remove it.. the right tool for the right job people...
if Someone peels paint off doing that then they don’t know what they’re doing.

·
Registered
20,793 Posts
I’m seriously considering a full paint correction, ceramic coating and protective film on the front end. I found a shop local that has an excellent reputation. He told me it would be good for 8-10 years. He works on a lot of high end cars so I feel like he’s legit. His quote wasn’t cheap but neither was the truck. The front end is already covered in bug guts and I’m concerned about the painted bumper getting hammered with rock chips. He told me not to wash it at all until he could do his thing if I do decide to go through with it. I’ll probably just let him worry about getting the badge off. The brand he uses is called Ceramic Pro if that rings a bell with anyone. I don’t know much about the different brands.

Gotta get the steering fixed first though. Dealer couldn’t get me a loaner until the 20th.
if You are paying to have that done. Go ahead and have the front end wrapped with film to protect it.

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
I’m seriously considering a full paint correction, ceramic coating and protective film on the front end. I found a shop local that has an excellent reputation. He told me it would be good for 8-10 years. He works on a lot of high end cars so I feel like he’s legit. His quote wasn’t cheap but neither was the truck. The front end is already covered in bug guts and I’m concerned about the painted bumper getting hammered with rock chips. He told me not to wash it at all until he could do his thing if I do decide to go through with it. I’ll probably just let him worry about getting the badge off. The brand he uses is called Ceramic Pro if that rings a bell with anyone. I don’t know much about the different brands.

Gotta get the steering fixed first though. Dealer couldn’t get me a loaner until the 20th.
Take it from someone that had two paint matched trucks, get that painted shit protected because it WILL chip.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Should I be concerned about this mating flange? I haven’t torqued the manifold down yet.

Edit: now that I think about it, might be a layer of gasket.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Should I be concerned about this mating flange? I haven’t torqued the manifold down yet.

I'd block sand that in place. Cast iron, so it's hard to damage it. 120 to 220 grit. Try the 220 first to see if that will be enough. If that won't touch it, a flat file will level it out.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

Reactions: rparlee

·
WOOD... man!
3,936 Posts
Didn't get anymore organized inside the shop today. Did get some vehicles organized around the outside.

·
Registered
18,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #81,249
Russ, is there someway for the "thread regulars" to possibly contribute?
Jimmy unfortunately there isn't. Plus I dont want you guys throwing money at this rabbit hole. Spend it on your wives, sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, or yourselves.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Jimmy unfortunately there isn't. Plus I dont want you guys throwing money at this rabbit hole. Spend it on your wives, sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, or yourselves.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
I think they are saying your their/our brother and people want to help you

·
WOOD... man!
3,936 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts

Edit: now that I think about it, might be a layer of gasket.

Ryan, lightly tap the heavy scale with the ball side of a ball peen hammer. Once you have the heavy flaked off, you can use a roloc disc to clean it up. It’s cast iron so it holds up better than the aluminum to surfacing disks. Just don’t go hog wild.

Reactions: rwood64083

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Ryan, lightly tap the heavy scale with the ball side of a ball peen hammer. Once you have the heavy flaked off, you can use a roloc disc to clean it up. It’s cast iron so it holds up better than the aluminum to surfacing disks. Just don’t go hog wild.
A sharp paint scraper might get under it

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
You win. Where is it and how much is the E ticket ride
You are old like me if you remember E tickets.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
She sounds like fun.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

81241 - 81260 of 81499 Posts